Okinawa Japan EUC Riders

Shimakuru

I'm relocating from Fort Lauderdale, Florida to Okinawa, Japan on June 12, 2019. Any EUC riders in Okinawa?  I currently have a King Song 16s and a Ninebot C, but I'm giving them away to my son and his friend.  I'll be looking to buy something new when I arrive in Okinawa.  Any recommendations? Worst case scenario I'd be willing to go "up to" Tokyo and pick up a EUC if I can't find one in Okinawa. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Having been stationed in Okinawa for 2 years, Fort Hansen (if I remember correctly, this is back in 1980s), I doubt there is any EUC sellers there. One would think it's an island that can use EUCs as a green transport options. I would love to wheel around there, such a beautiful island, not too big. With a wheel like KS18S or KS18L, one can have the whole island covered and can go anywhere as pleased.  From the threads I have been reading in this forum, travellers/visitors usually ended up borrowing a wheel from some local friends. If I were you, I would ship one there and when done, sell it there or ship it back. This way, you are sure to have your EUC ride. Good luck!

You are probably there now. What's it like with EUC? Any sellers?

• 3 weeks later...

I arrived in Japan and after a month or so I finally got somewhat settled.  Turns out my son only wanted the Ninebot and his friend didn't want a EUC so I kept the KS and shipped it.  I've been riding in Okinawa for about two weeks now.  Lots or people staring and I've had a few conversations with folks.  So far, I've not seen any other riders here in Okinawa and the people who I have spoken to about it like it but don't have one and have never seen one.  Nevertheless, the riding is fantastic here.  I've been mostly riding along route 58 bypass road heading north from Urasoe city towards Futenma and beyond.  Along the bypass road there are some really wide sidewalks and barely used access roads so it's great for riding.  Some of the sidewalk intersection crossroads have high curbs but not so much that an experienced EUC rider can't maneuver around as needed.  I plan to keep riding and hopefully I can drum up enough interest to get more people riding.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/1/2019 at 1:26 AM, Shimakuru said:

I arrived in Japan and after a month or so I finally got somewhat settled.  Turns out my son only wanted the Ninebot and his friend didn't want a EUC so I kept the KS and shipped it.  I've been riding in Okinawa for about two weeks now.  Lots or people staring and I've had a few conversations with folks.  So far, I've not seen any other riders here in Okinawa and the people who I have spoken to about it like it but don't have one and have never seen one.  Nevertheless, the riding is fantastic here.  I've been mostly riding along route 58 bypass road heading north from Urasoe city towards Futenma and beyond.  Along the bypass road there are some really wide sidewalks and barely used access roads so it's great for riding.  Some of the sidewalk intersection crossroads have high curbs but not so much that an experienced EUC rider can't maneuver around as needed.  I plan to keep riding and hopefully I can drum up enough interest to get more people riding.

I'm thinking about flying to Japan on Space-A flight, which allows my EUC. How are the laws in Japan regarding EUC and how is the wind on Okinawa? Would love to meet-up!

On 8/1/2019 at 1:26 AM, Shimakuru said:

Would love to see some vids of your rides around the Island if you make some.Like @scubadragosan, I was stationed there in the 80's, 85-86 at Kadena air base.Would love to see what BC street looks like in the 21st century.:o

On 8/22/2019 at 1:55 PM, zenleetech said:

I'm thinking about flying to Japan on Space-A flight, which allows my EUC. How are the laws in Japan regarding EUC and how is the wind on Okinawa? Would love to meet-up!

I haven't seen any definitive laws on EUC riding in Okinawa, although I have been told EUCs are probably a grey area since they are technically not skateboards, hoverboards or bicycles (and laws are in place for those devices).  Mostly I stick to the sidewalks and ride as if I'm on a bicycle but I always yield to pedestrians.  I have passed several Japanese police offers who pointed or smiled as I went by, but they said nothing.

Most days, the wind is not a factor (at least not where I have ridden) and I'm using big open spaces. If you make it to Oki (with or without your wheel) lemme know and we can definitely meet up!

• Like 1

On 8/22/2019 at 8:32 PM, Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" said:

Would love to see some vids of your rides around the Island if you make some.Like @scubadragosan, I was stationed there in the 80's, 85-86 at Kadena air base.Would love to see what BC street looks like in the 21st century.:o

Well darn, I can't believe I haven't made any vids yet.  Gimme a day or so and check back!

On 8/22/2019 at 7:07 PM, Dirty Joe said:

If any one here gets up to Camp Zama, let me know.  I go to Okinawa for work time to time.  I can Blackcat the wheel next trip.

Which areas do you stay in when you come to Okinawa?  I'm in Ginowan next to Futenma but fairly flexible on when / where I can go. Riding from Okinawa convention center to American Village (or vice versa) is only about a 20 or 25 minutes ride, but there are some great views if you take the roads along the coast.

On 8/26/2019 at 5:24 PM, Shimakuru said:

Well darn, I can't believe I haven't made any vids yet.  Gimme a day or so and check back!

Sorry it took longer than expected.  Not only did I get a flat on my KingSong (luckily I already had a spare tube and was able to change it yesterday afternoon), since I've moved to Okinawa I can't seem to find my GoPro.  So here's  my 1st vid I shot w/my cell phone.  You'll note some of the sidewalks are really wide and in other locations they are super narrow or non-existent. (BTW, you might want to turn the volume down a bit...)

Edited by Shimakuru
  • Like 1

More vids of me riding in Okinawa. I used links this time so viewers could read the descriptions I wrote instead of me typing the descriptions again.  Note it was not windy at all, the intermittent wind noise is the air blowing on my cell phone speaker. And if you haven't noticed yet, I suck at making videos (and taking pictures).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDXPiJUInhU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itoSMk6Dg-w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJNrGGFkkFA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-7mlWEM7FU

On 8/26/2019 at 5:30 PM, Shimakuru said:

Which areas do you stay in when you come to Okinawa?  I'm in Ginowan next to Futenma but fairly flexible on when / where I can go. Riding from Okinawa convention center to American Village (or vice versa) is only about a 20 or 25 minutes ride, but there are some great views if you take the roads along the coast.

Torii Station, always with a car.