Why do you ride a Monster?

Alright so im about a month out from finally ordering my monster. Ive revived this long dead thread to formally request that riding tutorial from @houseofjob haha.

By the way, i learned what you were talking about. Heel and toe and constantly shifting my feet to adapt to what and how im riding. Makes for a lot more fun and a more dynamic ride. I also always feel in control which is awesome. 

• Like 1

Only month after buying my first wheel (KS18XL) i have realized i should get Monster. Now I'm saving money for second wheel and it will be monster for sure. The stability it has at 50kph is second to none and thats target speed i would like to ride.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, johnyz89 said:

Only month after buying my first wheel (KS18XL) i have realized i should get Monster. Now I'm saving money for second wheel and it will be monster for sure. The stability it has at 50kph is second to none and thats target speed i would like to ride.

Oh, so you rode the monster then? :O

Yeaah, i have the 18XL as well, and i love it, but i refuse to ride at 50kph. I dont want to ride on the tiltback or just at the top of what the wheel allows. The monster is just a faster rated wheel

Thats exactly what I mean. KS18XL is just a litte bit too slow for me. I usually ride it at 40-43 kph. Riding at titlback is not fun and I dont ride that fast just because wheel is not capable of it. Not to mention that in app speed is overinflated and it can't really reach even 47kmh. Monster v3 100v with dual head lamp is a completly different story. I have tried it once and cant sleep now.

Edited by johnyz89
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, seage said:

By the way, i learned what you were talking about. Heel and toe and constantly shifting my feet to adapt to what and how im riding. Makes for a lot more fun and a more dynamic ride. I also always feel in control which is awesome. 

Nice!

After the NYC shelter-in-place, hopefully I can get my busy lazy 🐐 to start a proper technique series finally. A lot of stuff to say, many insights I've learned from teaching @chulander, who seems to be getting the whole package almost a year-in... teaching certainly is the best way to learn ha!

3 hours ago, seage said:

Alright so im about a month out from finally ordering my monster. Ive revived this long dead thread to formally request that riding tutorial from @houseofjob haha.

This vid will be easier than the standing technique, but unfortunately, I am away from my Monster & NYC right now, holed up in Jersey.

1 hour ago, seage said:

Yeaah, i have the 18XL as well, and i love it, but i refuse to ride at 50kph. I dont want to ride on the tiltback or just at the top of what the wheel allows. The monster is just a faster rated wheel

Yeah, all KS IMHO are really 27mph sustained wheels, can only touch 31mph briefly; you can literally feel the motor weaken at the 31 "max".

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, johnyz89 said:

Thats exactly what I mean. KS18XL is just a litte bit too slow for me. I usually ride it at 40-43 kph. Riding at titlback is not fun and I dont ride that fast just because wheel is not capable of it. Not to mention that in app speed is overinflated and it can't really reach even 47kmh. Monster v3 100v with dual head lamp is a completly different story. I have tried it once and cant sleep now.

Haha, damn, now im excited. I ride 48 max as it just feels like the highest it can go, really. Im a heavier dude too so its really dangerous for me up there. And yeah, with that inflation, im not even actually going that fast. Looking forward to getting it.

2 hours ago, houseofjob said:

After the NYC shelter-in-place, hopefully I can get my busy lazy 🐐 to start a proper technique series finally. A lot of stuff to say, many insights I've learned from teaching @chulander, who seems to be getting the whole package almost a year-in... teaching certainly is the best way to learn ha!

Haha, yeaahh, cant wait. Need a little normalcy back in our lives. Cant wait for this to pass. But thats super cool that you've been teaching. REally looking forward to seeing what you've learned.

This vid will be easier than the standing technique, but unfortunately, I am away from my Monster & NYC right now, holed up in Jersey.

Hope you're staying safe out there, mate. 

Yeah, all KS IMHO are really 27mph sustained wheels, can only touch 31mph briefly; you can literally feel the motor weaken at the 31 "max".

Being heavier, i've felt the power dip up top, so I dont even play around. Being able to go an actual 31mph without the fear of sudden death is really important to me for how i ride. The only downside is that im not sure i'll be able to jump and stuff with it. I really hope so. I mean, i see speedyfeet clearing logs and riding up curbs on it, so i should be able to. 

• Like 2

When I first took delivery of my 18XL, I thought that it was all the wheel I would ever need. Now the 80% warnings and speed tilt backs are a bit more common than what I would like, especially when I do the boring everyday stuff on the wheel, and it feels like I’ve outgrown the wheel, which is a bit sad for me actually, because I’ve loved that wheel more than I dare to admit to anyone. When I ride the 18XL hard on my exercise rides, trails, gravel and some tarmac, I get about 20km of range (from 95-100% charge down to 35-50%), and that doesn’t feel enough anymore. It has been very interesting reading this thread and discovering that I’m not alone.

For almost a year I’ve searched for an upgrade, but I haven’t found a wheel with the features I need. A silly thing like a functional trolley handle is very important to me, because I do a lot of boring things like grocery shopping with the wheel, and there is too much Gollum in me to leave the wheel behind the counter. I’m hoping the new GW 20” have a trolley handle you can actually use, but if it hasn’t got that or the battery configuration I want, The GW Monster V3 100v will be added to the collection with a jerry rigged centrally positioned trolley handle:) I’m too tall to ride seated comfortably, so I don’t mind removing that option.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, seage said:

Ditto, stay safe & healthy man~

4 hours ago, seage said:

Being heavier, i've felt the power dip up top, so I dont even play around. Being able to go an actual 31mph without the fear of sudden death is really important to me for how i ride.

Yeah, almost 4 years of riding Gotway 35mph+ wheels, I really can't go back to 27mph sustained KS, or now IM any more. Cruising 27mph is fine, but the feeling when you can't burst 35mph+ to avoid aggressive cars, etc, is just so miserable now (unless I'm on a 14", where anything above 25mph feels unsafe).

4 hours ago, seage said:

The only downside is that im not sure i'll be able to jump and stuff with it. I really hope so. I mean, i see speedyfeet clearing logs and riding up curbs on it, so i should be able to. 

Not really a jumper myself, but with the right tug surface, you can really jump any wheel, contrary to those who think jumping involves prolonged pulling the wheel weight between your legs, which it is not; more momentary tug, then wheel and the rider jump separately.

Definitely suspension is a must now for jumpers, as the impact from re-entering the ground is lessened by the sus.

3 hours ago, Espen R said:

For almost a year I’ve searched for an upgrade, but I haven’t found a wheel with the features I need. A silly thing like a functional trolley handle is very important to me, because I do a lot of boring things like grocery shopping with the wheel, and there is too much Gollum in me to leave the wheel behind the counter.

Meh, never really found an issue with my Nikola+ trolley, as I primarily ride to go to restaurants/shop, rarely for just joy ride.

3 hours ago, Espen R said:

I’m hoping the new GW 20” have a trolley handle you can actually use, but if it hasn’t got that or the battery configuration I want, The GW Monster V3 100v will be added to the collection with a jerry rigged centrally positioned trolley handle:) I’m too tall to ride seated comfortably, so I don’t mind removing that option.

IMHO, Monster seat isn't just for sitting.

Perhaps you're too tall, but for me, having the seat height makes it way more manageable to trolley by the seat, ....

.... but more importantly, because the screw foundations that hold 2 Monster side shells together are poorly designed, having the seat on helps on impact for crashes/drops, and the Monster is less liable to split apart from such events with having the seat on (though, not a guarantee).

• Like 3

10 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Meh, never really found an issue with my Nikola+ trolley, as I primarily ride to go to restaurants/shop, rarely for just joy ride.

Well, a functioning trolley handle isn’t the only feature I need in a wheel. The GW Nikola or any other 16” wheels, I already have 2, doesn’t fit the bill as the next step after the 18XL, but you’re right about it having a functional trolley handle, and that gives me hope when it comes to the new 20” from GW.

10 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Perhaps you're too tall, but for me, having the seat height makes it way more manageable to trolley by the seat, ....

.... but more importantly, because the screw foundations that hold 2 Monster side shells together are poorly designed, having the seat on helps on impact for crashes/drops, and the Monster is less liable to split apart from such events with having the seat on (though, not a guarantee).

Yes, even with the seat on it wouldn’t be tall enough. If the seat also works as protection, then perhaps Velcroing the seat to the shell and adding an extension of the seat could make it work for me. It’s a bit annoying that 3 or 4 iterations (don’t remember if the 2000W motor upgrade was named V2 or if that came later) of the wheel hasn’t fixed the weak points in the shell.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Espen R said:

It’s a bit annoying that 3 or 4 iterations (don’t remember if the 2000W motor upgrade was named V2 or if that came later) of the wheel hasn’t fixed the weak points in the shell.

Yup, agreed. Really hope this rumored 20" Gotway isn't supposed to be a replacement for the Monster series, as I'd prefer keeping the same diameter, or better, larger.

• Like 2

Yup, agreed. Really hope this rumored 20" Gotway isn't supposed to be a replacement for the Monster series, as I'd prefer keeping the same diameter, or better, larger.

Replacing the Monster with a smaller wheel would be a bit silly. With increased power comes larger battery packs, so I see a 20” wheel as the logical next step that replaces the 18-19” category, but I have realised that logical decisions aren’t what we should expect from EUC manufactures, so I guess we’re only left with a hope:) If the suspension eats up all the extra space gained by the wheel diameter increase, and we’re left with a wheel with the same power and battery size as the MSP, I might choose the Monster V3 instead.

I wouldn’t mind a larger wheel either, if they could increase the power and keep the range. 26” with a tyre that isn’t to wide perhaps? My trail riding opportunities would be almost endless with a wheel like that:)  

• Like 1

On 4/18/2020 at 11:44 AM, seage said:

Haha, damn, now im excited. I ride 48 max as it just feels like the highest it can go, really. Im a heavier dude too so its really dangerous for me up there. And yeah, with that inflation, im not even actually going that fast. Looking forward to getting it.

Haha, yeaahh, cant wait. Need a little normalcy back in our lives. Cant wait for this to pass. But thats super cool that you've been teaching. REally looking forward to seeing what you've learned.

Being heavier, i've felt the power dip up top, so I dont even play around. Being able to go an actual 31mph without the fear of sudden death is really important to me for how i ride. The only downside is that im not sure i'll be able to jump and stuff with it. I really hope so. I mean, i see speedyfeet clearing logs and riding up curbs on it, so i should be able to. 

yes, since last june/july I've been trying to digest @houseofjob latest theory of acceleration. sometimes the instructions are almost entirely wrong or the opposite from previous teachings.... only to find out weeks later. 

it is a lot of little steps involved and it's going to be a hell of a video series if chris would ever be so motivated =p

• Like 1

On 4/20/2020 at 7:04 AM, hwoccurrence said:

What is the recommended PSI for Monster V3 84v?

in pothole ridden NYC, i elected for max psi whenever possible (because a dented rim isn't worth it).

so for the tesla, msx and monster, all max psi. 

the Nikola's tire for some reason is extra bouncey and had to resort to -2 psi from max (did not enjoy being launched that high per bump).

in my limited experience riding with a much lower psi  (tesla -8 psi) and nikola (-10 psi), I recalled the wheels producing slight wobbles at higher speeds (above 25mph). That could be due to my technique. However, I did not experience the same slight wobbles after increasing the psi (take that with a grain of salt).

On 4/18/2020 at 3:59 PM, houseofjob said:

Yeah, almost 4 years of riding Gotway 35mph+ wheels, I really can't go back to 27mph sustained KS, or now IM any more. Cruising 27mph is fine, but the feeling when you can't burst 35mph+ to avoid aggressive cars, etc, is just so miserable now (unless I'm on a 14", where anything above 25mph feels unsafe).

Ive never even hit 31mph yet. Just not safe enough for me to do so. The pounds have been shedding so i probably COULD with time, but why push the upper limits of my kingsong instead of get a wheel thats made for it. 

On 4/18/2020 at 3:59 PM, houseofjob said:

Not really a jumper myself, but with the right tug surface, you can really jump any wheel, contrary to those who think jumping involves prolonged pulling the wheel weight between your legs, which it is not; more momentary tug, then wheel and the rider jump separately.

Definitely suspension is a must now for jumpers, as the impact from re-entering the ground is lessened by the sus.

We have all sorts of terrain to ride out here, from the city riding to subburbs on the side of stupidly fast roads, to the woods and whatnot. Just missing mountains. So jumping up and down stuff is pretty important. Although some ppl dont really try it and just opt to walk up things. I enjoy the wildness of being able to hop up curbs and overcome insane terrain, haha. Not saying im GOOD at any of this stuff though.

On 4/18/2020 at 12:21 PM, Espen R said:

When I first took delivery of my 18XL, I thought that it was all the wheel I would ever need. Now the 80% warnings and speed tilt backs are a bit more common than what I would like, especially when I do the boring everyday stuff on the wheel, and it feels like I’ve outgrown the wheel, which is a bit sad for me actually, because I’ve loved that wheel more than I dare to admit to anyone. When I ride the 18XL hard on my exercise rides, trails, gravel and some tarmac, I get about 20km of range (from 95-100% charge down to 35-50%), and that doesn’t feel enough anymore. It has been very interesting reading this thread and discovering that I’m not alone.

Yeah! I usually dont push right to the top because i use EUC world and my alarms all go off, but my wheels screamed at me a couple times with the 80% alarm and i feel like im holding back. Opting to have more fun by carving and riding offroad and things like that. But yeah, coming from the 16s, this thing felt like an absolute beast. I couldnt believe how fast it was and that comfort was there. The handle was even better and more robust. It was a dream. Im not getting rid of it, i'll keep it with my monster as the no trolly handle shows i'll be taking the XL when i meet with non riding friends. But yeah, looking forward to it. 

Its been interesting to see the MSP Speed, and the MSS and i suppose the MSX 100V come out and cover that need for high speed. 

So it really kinda puts the monster into its own category. I still question if i want that high end speed (to never use) or if i want the stability of the monster. Ive never tried the 100v msx, only the nikola that felt powerful. Im not sure if it was just the different ride style from my kingsong wheel or a placebo effect, but it FELT stronger. And ive never seen a Monster in the wild. Not sure if anyone here has one. Or at least no one who comes to rides does. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seage said:

Ive never even hit 31mph yet. Just not safe enough for me to do so. The pounds have been shedding so i probably COULD with time, but why push the upper limits of my kingsong instead of get a wheel thats made for it. 

We have all sorts of terrain to ride out here, from the city riding to subburbs on the side of stupidly fast roads, to the woods and whatnot. Just missing mountains. So jumping up and down stuff is pretty important. Although some ppl dont really try it and just opt to walk up things. I enjoy the wildness of being able to hop up curbs and overcome insane terrain, haha. Not saying im GOOD at any of this stuff though.

Yeah! I usually dont push right to the top because i use EUC world and my alarms all go off, but my wheels screamed at me a couple times with the 80% alarm and i feel like im holding back. Opting to have more fun by carving and riding offroad and things like that. But yeah, coming from the 16s, this thing felt like an absolute beast. I couldnt believe how fast it was and that comfort was there. The handle was even better and more robust. It was a dream. Im not getting rid of it, i'll keep it with my monster as the no trolly handle shows i'll be taking the XL when i meet with non riding friends. But yeah, looking forward to it. 

Its been interesting to see the MSP Speed, and the MSS and i suppose the MSX 100V come out and cover that need for high speed. 

So it really kinda puts the monster into its own category. I still question if i want that high end speed (to never use) or if i want the stability of the monster. Ive never tried the 100v msx, only the nikola that felt powerful. Im not sure if it was just the different ride style from my kingsong wheel or a placebo effect, but it FELT stronger. And ive never seen a Monster in the wild. Not sure if anyone here has one. Or at least no one who comes to rides does. 

I have my alarm on the XL set to 40kph, so I really try to stay safe, but sometimes I don’t hear the beeps and then I end up with tilt back. After the 2.0 FW update, I’m completely speed blind.

I’m totally with you when it comes to the 80% alarm. I usually get it off-road, and now they come even when it feels like I’m holding back, so they kind of kill some of the fun.

I could never sell the XL, it has too much sentimental value for me, and it is a great learner wheel. The speed issues I have usually comes when I’m doing the boring stuff, like grocery shopping, and for that I need a wheel with a functional trolley handle, which means I’d have to find a diy solution on the Monster.

The MSP and the MSS have been very interesting to watch. They solve every speed issue and has the power I miss for off-road use. The MSS even comes with the Nikola pedals. The only things I don’t like is the trolley handle, width of the case, strength of the case, the padding, ergonomics, a true 80% warning and the speakers. Of the two, the MSS with the 2250wh battery is the closest to becoming a candidate for me.

The only one I’ve seen off-roading with a Monster is Ian at SpeedyFeet and my fellow Norwegian EUC Guy. With the more powerful motor on the 100v V3, I can’t see any reasons to why it wouldn’t be a good off-roader. It would be different for sure, but with a larger wheel diameter I could ride the narrow trails in the forest made by animals with a lot more confidence than now.

At the moment it’s a toss up between the Monster V3 and the MSS, but if the new 20” GW wheel fits the bill, I’m willing to wait for the 2nd or 3rd batch.

• 1 month later...

Im trying my best not to start new topics all the time about the same stuff.

Just wanted to say, my monster has been ordered. And now we wait. It took a year to finally bite the bullet, but the newest money has changed a lot. Now pray i dont get one of the new faulty gotway wheels. Im not sure whats been happening lately with their QC, but a lot of wheels have been cutting out, lighting on fire and melting boards and whatnot. Id much rather that not happen, tbh. 

I got the Monster mostly out of curiosity and the 2400 wh battery. I'm a heavier rider (240 lbs) so it seemed like 'the wheel' if I ever get into a long ride scenario in the future. I don't have to carry it upstairs since it is in a ground floor garage.

It was my second wheel after I learned on the 16X. So I rode the Monster quite a bit. After more curiosity put an 18XL and MSP in the garage, I find I'm enjoying the 18XL for early dawn rides because of the lighting (seeing and being seen). And during daytime riding its the MSP. So the Monster seems to be on the back burner for those times when I'm curious about it again and want that different feeling that that big wheel provides.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scottie said:

I got the Monster mostly out of curiosity and the 2400 wh battery. I'm a heavier rider (240 lbs) so it seemed like 'the wheel' if I ever get into a long ride scenario in the future. I don't have to carry it upstairs since it is in a ground floor garage.

It was my second wheel after I learned on the 16X. So I rode the Monster quite a bit. After more curiosity put an 18XL and MSP in the garage, I find I'm enjoying the 18XL for early dawn rides because of the lighting (seeing and being seen). And during daytime riding its the MSP. So the Monster seems to be on the back burner for those times when I'm curious about it again and want that different feeling that that big wheel provides.

Oh i see. Do you ride seated at all? Its funny how we're going the opposite direction, but I suppose thats how it goes, really. We get a wheel, ride the heck out of it, then get interested in a model that rides totally different. Convenience wise, im sure your smaller wheels are much better for it.

I went 16s, 18XL and now monster. I live in the boonies, and so I want that thicc wheel to lug me around this place. I also ride pretty aggressively and fast and i can feel my 18XL not enjoying that so much. Ive almost overleaned it a few times. But i can totally understand. The monster is a specialty wheel. It compliments another, in most cases. Even though people like TIshawn swear by it. Im holding on to my XL for store runs and days when im with non riding friends downtown (and im not riding to someones place) But i hope i'll take to this wheel well. I'll probably replace my XL down the road with an msp or veteran or ssomething speedy and powerful for my offroading bug. Im thinking 3 wheels is probably gonna be the sweet spot for me. Offroad adventures, tricks and people, and high speed cruising. I went for the 100v 1845 battery version myself as I caught the bug and wanna get on the 100v wave. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, seage said:

Oh i see. Do you ride seated at all?

Funny you should ask! I tried it yesterday for the first time. It seems my body geometry does not work out well for that. I think I am just a little to tall and top heavy. So I could not get my body origami right. :facepalm:

But, yeah, you're spot on. We get different wheels to compliment each other and to scratch our mood of the day itch. I still like the Monster, and I am sure you will like the 100V version, especially off road.

We seem to hear about the bad things that happen to wheels, which is good because we need to be aware. But I think the numbers are on your side and you should end up with a wheel where all the smoke stays inside where it belongs!

Do you have an eye toward a suspension wheel? I'm drooling over the V11 now, but waiting to see how they do with some real world YouTuber reviews.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scottie said:

Funny you should ask! I tried it yesterday for the first time. It seems my body geometry does not work out well for that. I think I am just a little to tall and top heavy. So I could not get my body origami right. :facepalm:

But, yeah, you're spot on. We get different wheels to compliment each other and to scratch our mood of the day itch. I still like the Monster, and I am sure you will like the 100V version, especially off road.

We seem to hear about the bad things that happen to wheels, which is good because we need to be aware. But I think the numbers are on your side and you should end up with a wheel where all the smoke stays inside where it belongs!

Do you have an eye toward a suspension wheel? I'm drooling over the V11 now, but waiting to see how they do with some real world YouTuber reviews.

Ahh, sorry to hear it, but maybe some practice will make it work! I've  heard its a totally different game. Im super excited to try it out. Ive been dying to ride seated since I started riding. Imagine my surprise when i found out how easy it is to break the inner shell on the XL, haha. Was a surprised pikachu moment. 

Im excited to try. With the new 2500w motor, I wonder what kind of difference in power thats gonna make, and if i'll feel it with that big tire. 

Yeah, its always pushed to the top. And we're getting reports from people world wide, but i do hope that my smoke stays inside as well, haha. Either way, I always gear up. And i'll be dressed in the heavy duty gear for the first 100km at least on this thing because I need to learn it, and learn a whole new skill, which is riding seated. We'll see how it goes!

Im interested in suspension. Its kinda peaked my interest, but I want to wait till at least season 2. I think I need to try one to see just how big of a difference it makes. How jumping is. If its got the power to do crazy offroad stuff along with being a comfortable city cruiser, and so on. Because its all about staying in control at the end of the day. There are places I have to ride super slow because the road looks like its been hit by a bomb. But with these wheels, can i cruise over it at speed? I still like the idea of raw power and performance, but im thinking in season 2 of suspension we're going to HAVE high speed and performance plus suspension as that technically is a performance thing. I guess we can look at it like bikes. Road bikes are solid frames, mountain bikes have suspension. So theres still a space for both. ORRRR we can look at it like cars and MC's and SUSPENSION ALL THE THINGS! THEY CAN STILL BE POWERFUL AF! Lol. The V11 looks sexy and from what kuji said, the torque is crazy. The S18 looks SUPER cool though. Id get that wheel for aesthetics alone. 

• Like 1

On 6/18/2020 at 9:51 PM, Mike Sacristan said:

I went for a cruise with Tobbe today. He was on his Monster and I was on my new Nik.
He has pads on the side now and can take off like crazy and really lean into it.
He hit 69kmh... I didn't stand a chance lol... nor would I ever ride beyond the beeps anyway (which he didn't hear).
He is really putting the wheel through it's paces and it's been behaving perfectly.
He is also having a lot of fun riding seated.

Hey mike! Hope you've been well! And grats on the new nik.

Im literally watching your ride video with Tobbe right now, haha. But 69? Holy.... I can understand not hearing the beeps. Im still pretty hardcore with my watch and alarms in my helmet and so on. I'll be sticking to below 61, lol...aka, 60 and under. But i want to hit 60 at some point. I might attempt to hit beeps later when im used to my wheel, but as long as i can ride and never hear them (not because of wind noise but because im well within the limits of the machine) i'll be happy! Got a few weeks out before my wheel and seat show up then i'll make a video on it XDD.

By the way, grats on Monikas new wheel. My mum just came top me and told me shes buying that one for my dad as a surprise. Wild. 

Hello people !

I would like to know opinions if Gotway Monster would be a good wheel for everyday use.

90% will be used for walking on city streets.  I will use it to go to and from work, after-hours tours and on weekends, in short I will use it a lot!

I'm considering Monster because of the option to sit when my feet or back are hurting.

But I'm also looking at MSP.
 Too bad the seat of the MSP is low and not as comfortable as Monster.

Anyone who can collaborate on these issues, thank you in advance.
 Hug!