I got a Meepo NLS Pro electric skateboard and it’s pretty fun

Those look pretty cool, I’d love to try one with real tires, the skate wheels feel sketchy at really high speed especially on sidewalks with all the cracks. Is a regular skater though I don’t know how I feel about the bindings :D 

I did about 10 miles on mine. Well ... mixed feelings so far.

For one, Everyone should ride this for a while and then jump on their EUC. There will be no more "when will we see suspension on a EUC" threads. Boy, that thing's ride is rock hard. Get on your EUC and you feel like driving in a luxury car. I rode places I knew from my EUC, never realising how rough the road is over there. Ride this for one hour and your feet will be completely numb from the vibrations. It must be great on smooth concrete, but where I live there is a lot of rough asphalt. And that's also a different with my skating from before. When I used to skate we stayed at one spot where we practiced tricks. You don't do that with one of these. This is a transportation device so you cover a lot more ground (and different surfaces).

I still need to get used to it. I did a lot of skateboarding, but this still is something different. Because of the higher speeds some extra skills are required, such as foot braking, which I never learned.

The tail is extremely short, which means that if you overlean to the back your board goes a lot higher before the tail hits the ground. That also takes getting used to, especially when doing wheelies :D . I went down once trying to do a 360 turn using the tail. Something I can easily do with a regular board, but I guess the angle + the weight got the best of me.

People tend to say EUC's are dangerous, but I think I could hurt my self a lot more with one of these.

I think that for where I live the ideal board would be one like this, but with pneumatic tires. I don't want a long board because they are a pain to haul around, even if they are more stable and more comfortable because of the flex of the board. Haven't seen a "normal" eskate with pneumatic/off-road wheels though. Long boards have those because the wheels can stick above the deck because of the narrow nose and tail sections.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

I did about 10 miles on mine. Well ... mixed feelings so far.

For one, Everyone should ride this for a while and then jump on their EUC. There will be no more "when will we see suspension on a EUC" threads. Boy, that thing's ride is rock hard. Get on your EUC and you feel like driving in a luxury car. I rode places I knew from my EUC, never realising how rough the road is over there. Ride this for one hour and your feet will be completely numb from the vibrations. It must be great on smooth concrete, but where I live there is a lot of rough asphalt. And that's also a different with my skating from before. When I used to skate we stayed at one spot where we practiced tricks. You don't do that with one of these. This is a transportation device so you cover a lot more ground (and different surfaces).

I still need to get used to it. I did a lot of skateboarding, but this still is something different. Because of the higher speeds some extra skills are required, such as foot braking, which I never learned.

The tail is extremely short, which means that if you overlean to the back your board goes a lot higher before the tail hits the ground. That also takes getting used to, especially when doing wheelies :D . I went down once trying to do a 360 turn using the tail. Something I can easily do with a regular board, but I guess the angle + the weight got the best of me.

People tend to say EUC's are dangerous, but I think I could hurt my self a lot more with one of these.

I think that for where I live the ideal board would be one like this, but with pneumatic tires. I don't want a long board because they are a pain to haul around, even if they are more stable and more comfortable because of the flex of the board. Haven't seen a "normal" eskate with pneumatic/off-road wheels though. Long boards have those because the wheels can stick above the deck because of the narrow nose and tail sections.

When I was on my way home yesterday I came up to a guy riding a Mini X. I commented on the board and we cruised side by side for a while. He was doing around 35-37km/h on the street and he was a very skillful rider. He looked really smooth and flowy while riding. I asked him about that and he said he does a lot of snowboarding. His wheels were a bit beat up but still holding up well. Baby blue caugama so those are 77a. Stock is 78a but I think it's different formula anyway.

Still.. it will be a bumpy ride because of the stiff deck, etc but you will get used to it. Just don't ride for too long on the crappiest asphalt you can find. :) 

• Like 1

That MiniX is so cool looking. 

The bumps are hard to describe. In some ways it's worse but in some ways it's better than my EUC. Some potholes and bumps are easier since you have 4 points of contact with the road vs. one on an EUC. One wheel might hit a pot hole and the other three might not. There are bumps my NLS Pro could take that would knock me off my EUC, but there are also bumps my EUC could take that the skateboard could not. The small super deep potholes jolt me off my ECU but not the ESkate.  I hope that makes sense, it's weird rolling through dips and bumps that would not be ok on my EUC, but it could just be that I'm riding it a lot slower. 

Still having a great time with it, but I rode my wheel last night instead and had a great time on that as well.

What are your thoughts on a long board with all terrain wheels ? Does the nls pro enable you to ride the regular pavements  or do you need super smooth surfaces.  

I orderd 1 last week and am going to be waiting a few weeks.  

• Like 1

After riding this all over, I think I would appreciate some rubber tires. The 100 mm wheels roll really well, but at 20+ speeds the sidewalk cracks are way more brutal than they are pushing a regular skateboard at sub 10mph speeds. I would say the biggest surprise and the biggest thing to get ready for his how much sidewalk cracks jolt you. If you're going far on a sidewalk it's just non-stop and so loud. Thwack thwack thwack thwack thwack thwack and it makes your back foot all crampy. Smooth no crack pavement like on bike trails is an absolute pleasure. 

I had a problem today on my way to work. I'll copy paste my description on the reddit forum:

Heads up, on my way to work this morning on my NLS Pro I had some issues with one motor locking up intermittently, and I mean very intermittently, it happened 2-3 times for just a half a second on my 8 mile ride.

I got to work and took the HUB apart and found shreds of O Rings and a big washer (Washer was pretty big, about Quarter sized but super thin like a shimming material or speed ring.) Since I didn't what to look for I took the other motor apart as well to check the O Ring and washer placement. The one without any issues did not even have an o ring over the axle shaft at all, the problem motor had two, and has no sign of the big washer I found.

The company I work at has a machine shop, so I replaced both O Rings and reassembled. Everything seems to be working fine, but it does sorta seem like there was some extra junk rolling around in one motor. Either that or I am missing some stuff re-assembling and it will fail again soon.

Just sharing my experience. I emailed Meepo too. I feel like the motor was defective if stuff fell off inside it.

Anyone else ever have this kind of thing happen?

Here's pictures of the debris and the motor with the sleeve off because, hey check it out.

https://i.imgur.com/egMKuNu.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/mNGlD7v.jpg

I just ordered a NLS Pro, its my first electric Skateboard, I'm very interested to see how it feels. I have have a bunch of EUCs and a Onewheel. I love them all. I am a big boy also (275lbs) and am curious of how the NLS Pro will hold up. I do not have a extensive skateboarding background so there may be a learning curve for me.  I do well on the Onewheel but do not push it to much as I have a real fear of falling. As much as I hate wearing Safety Gear, especially in Florida.  It has saved me a couple of times. I also keep seeing these ads for the summerboard. that looks interesting as well.

I never wear safety gear, and only ride drunk :D 

I'm just kidding about part of that statement :D 

The board has been great, but yesterday was pretty scary with one of the hubs locking up because metal debris in the hub sticking to the magnets. I took both hubs all apart and cleaned and removed the pieces form the problematic side and it is running great again, but that kind of defect is a little disheartening. I've emailed Meepo but I doubt they'll send a replacement motor for 6-8 weeks so I am very glad I was able to patch it up on my own. 

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

I ordered a Backfire Ranger X1 to go off-roading.

I looked at those, I’m gonna see how it goes with the Meepo before I decide to get into the off-road boards. I hopefully will have mine in a couple of weeks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2019 at 5:56 PM, ir_fuel said:

I ordered a Backfire Ranger X1 to go off-roading.

Aaand the package has gone missing since the 25h of July ...

They are still investigating, but somehow I doubt it will resurface.

Then again, wouldn't all be bad news. Look what dropped in my mailbox today:

4kg lighter and more powerful motors :blink1:. Same range though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Aaand the package has gone missing since the 25h of July ...

They are still investigating, but somehow I doubt it will resurface.

Then again, wouldn't all be bad news. Look what dropped in my mailbox today

4kg lighter and more powerful motors :blink1:. Same range though.

Already? It doesn't seem that long ago the Ranger was released. There was a lot of pre-video especially from Daniel Kwan and his long cruises around China.

4kg lighter sounds great! And the board in general seems decent as well. One of the better off road boards out there for the price.

• Like 1