I got a Meepo NLS Pro electric skateboard and it’s pretty fun

On 8/9/2019 at 3:30 PM, ir_fuel said:

Then again, wouldn't all be bad news. Look what dropped in my mailbox today:

4kg lighter and more powerful motors :blink1:. Same range though.

I didn't even realize there was a section for other topics like e-skate.  I'm pretty new to personal electric vehicles in general.  But somehow I already have 3 e-skates in 4 months or so.  They really are fun to ride around.  Researching PEV's is what brought me to EUC's.  Funny thing is that this all originated with the Onewheel, which I still haven't tried.  Maybe next year.  I have the Meepo Classic 1, Wowgo 3, and the Ownboard Carbon AT.  I like all three for different reasons.

@ir_fuel the Backfire X2 looks like a good upgrade from the X1.  I looked at the X1, prior to purchasing the Carbon AT.  But since I didn't have any belt drives or a stiff deck, I chose the Carbon AT (also it's a little more water proof and lighter than the X1).  The rubber tires are great for urban riding.  They glide over the cracks and small debris.  My only complaint would be the stiff deck.  I didn't realize how much I prefer flexier decks.  There isn't a big PEV scene in my city, so unfortunately I can't try things out prior to purchase.   From one review, the double kingpin trucks on the X2 feels better than the Carbon AT.  It rides very different from a single kingpin truck.  I think the term All-Terrain is a little misleading.  You can probably do a little off-roading with them, but I think this class of e-skate is really for urban riders with crappy roads. 

On 8/12/2019 at 2:53 PM, kasenutty said:

The cracks seem so much worse at high speed than they are pushing a regular board! I may go with an AT board of some type next time around. 

@kasenutty I haven't ridden a skateboard since high school and that was almost 30 years ago.  And even then it was just a crappy skateboard.  So I don't know how modern skateboards feel on sidewalks.  Both my Meepo and Wowgo are hub motors as well, and sidewalk cracks send jolts through my feet and legs.  The flexier deck helps.  I'm sure you've already read this, but due to the hub motor and lack of extra urethane on the back wheels, it's much harsher when hitting cracks in sidewalks.  I wish I had a belt driven board to compare to, since belt drives use full urethane wheels in front and back.  And people say there is a big difference between the two, hub vs belts.

I have a Boosted Mini S and I can tell you it's still pretty hard :) 

Well, it's official now. The Backfire X1 I ordered has disappeared.

Now I am really hesitating. Order the X2, or take the money I had and add some more and order a Onewheel.

I'm not really going to off road anyway with that skateboard. Once you've done EUC off road all the other alternatives suck.

44 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

I have a Boosted Mini S and I can tell you it's still pretty hard :) 

Well, it's official now. The Backfire X1 I ordered has disappeared.

Now I am really hesitating. Order the X2, or take the money I had and add some more and order a Onewheel.

I'm not really going to off road anyway with that skateboard. Once you've done EUC off road all the other alternatives suck.

Onewheel is a lot of fun. But an electric longboard is not that far off and much less expensive. Especially if you configure the board with soft flowy bushings. I used Riptide WFB barrel/cone on my Ownboard W1S and it carves and flows like a dream.

I just gave up. After the package disappearing from DHL now all of the sudden it popped up again and it seems to be on its way back to the seller.

Since they claim a 14 day return policy I just requested a refund, since technically the board is returning to them and I didn't even open it. 

Let's hope they aren't going to give me a hard time about this. I ordered it nearly a month ago now.

36 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

I just gave up. After the package disappearing from DHL now all of the sudden it popped up again and it seems to be on its way back to the seller.

Since they claim a 14 day return policy I just requested a refund, since technically the board is returning to them and I didn't even open it. 

Let's hope they aren't going to give me a hard time about this. I ordered it nearly a month ago now.

Wow that sucks. Hopefully you have no problems with a full refund. Especially since the board was never delivered and it's going back to them. Both of my boards from China has taken a month for delivery. But I did read online that European customs had held up a bunch of boards due to the way the companies were labeling them to try and bypass VAT and taxes.

2 minutes ago, Genghis said:

Wow that sucks. Hopefully you have no problems with a full refund. Especially since the board was never delivered and it's going back to them. Both of my boards from China has taken a month for delivery. But I did read online that European customs had held up a bunch of boards due to the way the companies were labeling them to try and bypass VAT and taxes.

The board was ordered inside the EU.

Sup guys? Just checking in. After I repaired and fixed my hub that was replaced under warranty (with a new back truck too!) I figured hey why not, and ordered an extra motor, so next year I will be able to freshen up in the spring with two brand new motors with PU sleeves and maybe a new truck if I feel like poking holes through the grip tape.

The Eskate has been a blast, I may sell it and upgrade in the spring to something AT. It's got me not riding my 18xl as much too, but I do not feel like getting rid of it at all. But riding both means not riding either one as much as I would like, but I've been having so much fun! :D

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kasenutty said:

Sup guys? Just checking in. After I repaired and fixed my hub that was replaced under warranty (with a new back truck too!) I figured hey why not, and ordered an extra motor, so next year I will be able to freshen up in the spring with two brand new motors with PU sleeves and maybe a new truck if I feel like poking holes through the grip tape.

The Eskate has been a blast, I may sell it and upgrade in the spring to something AT. It's got me not riding my 18xl as much too, but I do not feel like getting rid of it at all. But riding both means not riding either one as much as I would like, but I've been having so much fun! :D

Awesome! Don't worry about poking holes. It's no big drama. And who knows maybe you will want to change the grip tape by then and pimp it up a bit. :)

I used to ride my board a lot but barely ride it out now. My wife still rides hers quite a lot and she has become a pretty skilled rider. I agree that the AT models look a bit tempting. I have tried a Lacroix and it was very fast and powerful as well as being nimble. However i'm sure that something like the Ownboard AT would be good enough. Though it would be better with 2x battery.

• Like 1

I don't use them for commuting at all, they are just recreational vehicles, so it doesn't matter all that much. I also ride regular skateboards, so the Eskate with it's enormous wheels feels pretty smooth (Except for sidewalk cracks aaargh!!!!) I still do not think I will get rid of my wheel. Probably just upgrade the ESkate and keep wheeling too.

• Like 1

Slightly off topic, but I just put my Boosted Mini X for sale.

After riding the Onewheel for 2 days it's clear this board won't be doing much service. I prefer the control by body over the control by remote, feels much more natural, and of course it handles rough roads a lot better.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Hi guys! I bought two Backfire G2 boards and my girlfriend and I rode them stocks for one season. Then we got tired of the lack of a tail and maneuverability, so we swapped the stock deck for shorter 60 ish cm directional decks with trails from street cruisers and it's awesome! The swap was pretty simple and now it's a breeze to ride around the city, drop off curbs and even ollie over small cracks and edges. Highly recommended! The G2 does 42km/h with 100mm wheels and that is fast enough for me on the shorter deck. On the longboard it felt a bit slow, but now it's just right. I'm thinking about buying a NLS PRO and do the same since the breaks on the G2 are quite bad though, but on a slightly longer deck. I really don't understand why so few eskate companies make boards with a tail, because it's awesome!

• 1 year later...

I looked at the NLS pro & Backfire G3 but decided to go belt drive for more flexibility in wheels as I really like the cloudwheels for my corner of the jungle. I hummed & hawwed at the Backfire Zealot & NLS belt (which btw comes with both urethane & cloudwheels as a pkg) but crazily🤪 decided to go for more performance & ordered the Verreal RS with cloudwheels. 

It should arrive late winter just in time for spring '21. Can't wait!