AirWheel X8 just a base model?

RokasK

So I bought an AirWheel X8 as my first unit. I know, I know, i sucks. My reason? It only weighs 11kg. It's more of a mobility aid than a sports device since my feet really dislike walking.

But what I wanted your input on is this: it seems like the X8 is just a base model where you have to add things on afterwards - pads, extendable handle, stand. At first I was rather confused about riding it since the bare plastic was killing my shins. Then I cut up a pool noodle to protect myself. Even according to the AirWheel official website, the pads are to be used only until get the basics. That's odd, because I am tired of jumping onto it every time and would like to learn the start-from-one-foot maneuver. So my question would be, what is up with AirWheel not coming with any pads straight our of the box? They added quality aluminum and rubber-tired training wheels but saved on a a square of silicone? Or am I not getting something... is the advanced rider really using their wheel with bare plastic against their shins?

18 hours ago, RokasK said:

is the advanced rider really using their wheel with bare plastic against their shins?

No, unless they're masochists... after getting the hang of it, you don't need to squeeze the shell with your shins normally, but going over bumps and such, it's still useful. You could cut up some "plastic foam mat" (whatever it's called in English, like yoga mats or such) and use glue or two-sided tape.

Most wheels do have some kind of padding on the sides. AFAIK, Airwheel has pretty much disappeared from the scene, or at least they haven't released a new model since... 2015? Do they still make X3's/X5's/X8's?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, esaj said:

You could cut up some "plastic foam mat" (whatever it's called in English, like yoga mats or such) and use glue or two-sided tape.

Damn, I tried to find a photo your colorful, geometrically shaped foam coverings you applied to your KS 16S but no luck! 

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Sorry for resurrecting a dead thread, but just wanted to add an update for anyone seeking answers in the future :)

So yeah, the padding is dead necessary - I bought a fat pool noodle from a dollar store, cut off a couple of pieces and attached two per side with double sided tape on my X8. The difference is remarkable. It took a few more months for my shins to regain a healthy form, but after that it's smooth sailing.

IMG-3345.jpg

Next thing - accessories. An extendable handle needs to be bought extra. It makes a world of difference. I can now just lead it by the handle wherever I want and don't have to lug it. The build quality is not spectacular, but it's not like there are options. Good enough. Can be bought from AliExpress. Sadly, they only had the white one.

Keywords: Airwheel Handle Unicycle Pulling Rod Monowheel Pulling Handle One Wheel Electric Scooter Handbar for Self Balancing Scooter

handle.jpg

Oh yeah, also bought a wall mountable bike rack from the dollar store, if you position your EUC on it correctly it can actually hold itself anywhere on the ground with no mounting.

• Like 1