I need help trying to decide....

Guy

I am frustrated with myself. I'm torn between two and possibly three Gotway wheels: MCM5; Tesla; Nikola. The Nikola is a bit of a stretch. I posted this a few hours ago stating my possible uses for a new wheel: "After a lot of thought, I think I am going to go with the MCM5. I really like the Nikola, however its physical size and weight worry me. Thinking about how I will use my wheel and possibly my 11 year old son will use, a large wheel may not be the best right now. One imposed restriction is I want to be able to carry the wheel either in the truck or passenger side floor of my '94 Mazda Miata R. along with my 25 pound dog, minikwad and its equipment, and my backpack. The range and the power of the MCM5 is good enough for most things I would do. Another use is to ride from home to downtown Portland and the University of Southern Maine, about 5-10 miles, and be able to carry or roll the wheel inside the buildings and even top off its charge level if needed. Lastly, rides from my house around the surrounding area up to 20 miles. A lot of different uses. What do you think? I can see why wheel owners have more than one wheel." It is really a toss up between the MCM5 and the Tesla. Tesla looks like a good all rounder. Tesla seems to be between production runs. Yet looks like it will be back very soon. Could you guys help me out? Opinions, recommendations, experiences, whatever would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...Guy

First wheel that needs to get you safely 5-10 miles? You'll need a tough shell for the inevitable crash-learning, with some stability over long distances.

Not an MCM5, because 14 inchers are too easy to crash as the small tire can't climb over a lot of objects.

You should probably add the Inmotion V10 onto your short list.

• Upvote 1

He did add that it needs to do 20 miles as well. The V10 will still be good for this, but it's quite a big wheel for an 11 year old?

At the risk of getting shot down, maybe the Z10? It's a relatively compact wheel, and although heavy it's weight is carried very low and I don't think an 11 year old would struggle with it (mine didn't) especially at low speed where it's incredibly stable. Maybe a bit heavy for you to lift in and out of a car though? (about 6kg heavier than a V10F).

I did get to ride a Z10 and found it easier than the V8 I was learning on. A stout heavy wheel. I have not considered the V10F because of videos showing a propensity to alarm due to heating/cooling issues. The owner of the Z10 warned me of difficulties he had when he bought it. One had to dissemble the wheel for the first charge, for instance. Difficulties seemed to have made the owners become hackers to suit the needs of the wheel. Since he has owned the Z10 a while, these challenges may not exist anymore. Still, I will look into those suggestions. So far the Tesla is winning. Thanks

Edited by Guy

Very true re the Z10 battery doa issue but its very simple to deal with even for a non techy and doesnt appear to drop the voltage down to a level where permanent damage occurs. To bring it back to life the battery connections are simple and it only requires the removal of one side panel which is 8 or so screws from memory. You're also quite right though that owners shouldn't have to do this but there we are.

The other reported problems with Z10 power boards failing seems to have dissappeared now. Thats not based on fact its just that I havent seen any recent complaints (and I am keen to read anything Z related).

Im not saying you should forget every other wheel, but I just wanted to point out that the only issue you may get with a new Z nowadays is a doa battery. And of course its not supported in most countries which could be the killer card for some peeps.