My 84-volt Nikola Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

1 hour ago, Jim Martin said:

Has anyone with the Nikola had it start dipping forward at high speed (20+ MPH)?  It's the strangest feeling, it's like once I get going fast the pedals dip forward a few degrees.  Is this a calibration issue?  What's the best way to accurately calibrate this wheel?  Place it on a stand, use a level, is it all that important for it to be perfectly horizontally and vertically aligned when calibrating?

I can't say that I have noticed any pedal dipping related to speed. There is this already known thing also present on the MSX (and more models?) where if you're riding in anything but the hard mode and ride over rocky/uneven ground you'll get pedal dipping that restores itself after a while. A weird feature that, not sure what the reason behind it would be exactly. Where you hitting some bumpy stretches at the time?

For calibration in my experience with the Nikola it's not that sensitive. I just calibrate fixing the wheel with my hand/legs and adjust forward or backward as necessary. Works for me. Reading the KS16X thread it seems like it would need to be a rigorous process for things to work, but it's not something that I've experienced myself with the Nikola at any rate. Could be different between brands possibly, I would be interested to hear how others approach this and what amout of thoroughness they apply (I tilt mine a little bit backward FWIW).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jim Martin said:

Has anyone with the Nikola had it start dipping forward at high speed (20+ MPH)?  It's the strangest feeling, it's like once I get going fast the pedals dip forward a few degrees.  Is this a calibration issue?  What's the best way to accurately calibrate this wheel?  Place it on a stand, use a level, is it all that important for it to be perfectly horizontally and vertically aligned when calibrating?

Never.

But as @Nils says, if you're riding in soft mode the pedals can certainly move around, like an old car that needs new shocks.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Nils said:

I can't say that I have noticed any pedal dipping related to speed. There is this already known thing also present on the MSX (and more models?) where if you're riding in anything but the hard mode and ride over rocky/uneven ground you'll get pedal dipping that restores itself after a while. A weird feature that, not sure what the reason behind it would be exactly. Where you hitting some bumpy stretches at the time?

For calibration in my experience with the Nikola it's not that sensitive. I just calibrate fixing the wheel with my hand/legs and adjust forward or backward as necessary. Works for me. Reading the KS16X thread it seems like it would need to be a rigorous process for things to work, but it's not something that I've experienced myself with the Nikola at any rate. Could be different between brands possibly, I would be interested to hear how others approach this and what amout of thoroughness they apply (I tilt mine a little bit backward FWIW).

Yes, I was going over a rough patch I believe, but I also think it was doing this on a straightaway too.  I prefer it tilted back a bit in calibration, can't stand any forward dipping.  Are you riding in Soft, Medium or Hard?

11 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Never.

But as @Nils says, if you're riding in soft mode the pedals can certainly move around, like an old car that needs new shocks.

What mode do you ride in Marty?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jim Martin said:

Yes, I was going over a rough patch I believe, but I also think it was doing this on a straightaway too.  I prefer it tilted back a bit in calibration, can't stand any forward dipping.  Are you riding in Soft, Medium or Hard?

I'm always riding in medium mode (for now at least). Medium also has the pedal dipping over rough surfaces, can't say whether it's the same as for soft mode or not though. What mode are you in?

16 minutes ago, Nils said:

I'm always riding in medium mode (for now at least). Medium also has the pedal dipping over rough surfaces, can't say whether it's the same as for soft mode or not though. What mode are you in?

Was medium but think I like hard better, just switched to try and stop the pedal dipping 

Edited by Jim Martin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim Martin said:

What mode do you ride in Marty?

Mostly the hardest mode. Sometimes for variety I switch to soft but I ultimately end up in the hard mode again. This is very personal. @houseofjob swears by the soft mode.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

This is very personal. @houseofjob swears by the soft mode.

Agreed, personal.

But FWIW, I can't use the 100V V2 Monster soft mode unfortunately (really want to) because it swings too wide :(:crying:

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

@Jim Martin @Nils Dunno which Nikola you have, 84V or 100V (I recently rode an 84V to compare, and the modes are slightly harder/more resistance than the 100V modes), but I would suggest giving the Nikola soft mode a good college try at least, even if you aren't a usual soft mode rider. 

The Nikola soft mode has a slight rubbery resistance, unlike you're typical wide-swinging, glide-y Gotway soft mode.

You might be surprised which mode you end up liking the most!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just got into EUC’s a couple weeks ago. Learned on a beater MCM4 and am picking up one of these 84v nikolas now. I can’t wait! Is there any recommendations on any out of the box changes? I’ve seen a lot about wheelog but have iOS. Is it worth it to buy a cheap android tablet or something to get what it offers? 

33 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

IMG_0642

What kind of shirt are you wearing?

I never used protective wear in my life (motorcycle, bike). Just Jeans, Shorts, Shirt, Gloves and a Helmet. :rolleyes:

But for my next EUC (16X) I will change that. :efefe00999:

Until now I buyed:

Demon Flexmeter Double Wrist Guards
POC Joint Vpd 2.0 Elbow (the DH Version with hard plastik on top is of course better for sliding, but was to heavy/thick for me)
POC Joint Vpd 2.0 Elbow (the DH Version with hard plastik on top is of course better for sliding, but was to heavy/thick for me)

Bell Super 3R mips will follow. (hope it fits my head)

Now I´m looking for light shoulder protection.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, buell47 said:

What kind of shirt are you wearing?

I never used protective wear in my life (motorcycle, bike). Just Jeans, Shorts, Shirt, Gloves and a Helmet. :rolleyes:

But for my next EUC (16X) I will change that. :efefe00999:

Until now I buyed:

Demon Flexmeter Double Wrist Guards

Bell Super 3R mips will follow. (hope it fits my head)

Now I´m looking for light shoulder protection.

Leatt 3DF Airfit Lite Shoulder Tee

61OkztjDX-L._SL1200_.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Zack Wong said:

Just got into EUC’s a couple weeks ago. Learned on a beater MCM4 and am picking up one of these 84v nikolas now. I can’t wait! Is there any recommendations on any out of the box changes? I’ve seen a lot about wheelog but have iOS. Is it worth it to buy a cheap android tablet or something to get what it offers? 

Congrats!

If you're handy, or can find someone who's handy, I would tear into the wheel to make sure all the screws and bolts are firmly in, especially the 12 board MOSFET screw, the pedal arm screws, maybe even the axle nuts (although those should be good out of the box) (I do this for any new wheel I get now, as I don't trust these company manufacture line workers.

Then, do at the very least the hydrophobic speaker cloth install that @Marty Backe & @Dzlchef (I beleive(?)) did, as that is a point of weakness for water infiltration.

Lastly, IMHO avoid setting the Nikola to Hard mode in the app, use anything else (albeit, I have yet to try medium mode, which I will today). The Hard mode is simply unusable IMHO on the Nikola, unlike every other previous Gotway model Hard modes, and ruins the experience of the Nikola ( @dieterGRAMS just tried mine last night after trying another riders' Nik+ set on Hard mode and had 2 different reactions for the same wheel LOL). And on the flip side, don't be scared to use the Nikola Soft mode, as it's slightly different than the typical Gotway Soft mode, has a soft rubbery resistance to it, and I think is palatable for riders who normally don't even go Soft mode.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

You know after you mocked the living crap out of me the other day it kind of made me gun shy as to giving my opinion on these wheels here but I must say I have my Nikola 84v set in the hard mode and like a lot. But to each his own right? He should try them all. I did. 

Er, I thought I was agreeing with you, but trying to say what you said in a more clear fashion(??) :confused1:

And yes, you're right, one should try All the modes, but more than just a few minutes. I guess my distaste for the Nikola Hard mode might just be personal.

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Er, I thought I was agreeing with you, but trying to say what you said in a more clear fashion(??) :confused1:

And yes, you're right, one should try All the modes, but more than just a few minutes. I guess my distaste for the Nikola Hard mode might just be personal.

:cheers:

No worries man. 

Soft mode for me tilts forward and back too much for me. It’s like there’s too much play. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

Ya think? ;)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, houseofjob said:

@Jim Martin @Nils Dunno which Nikola you have, 84V or 100V (I recently rode an 84V to compare, and the modes are slightly harder/more resistance than the 100V modes), but I would suggest giving the Nikola soft mode a good college try at least, even if you aren't a usual soft mode rider. 

The Nikola soft mode has a slight rubbery resistance, unlike you're typical wide-swinging, glide-y Gotway soft mode.

You might be surprised which mode you end up liking the most!

I have both the 84v and the 100v.  I haven't tried soft, I guess I will give it a shot, but if it does any forward dipping I'm sure I'm going to hate it.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jim Martin said:

I have both the 84v and the 100v.  I haven't tried soft, I guess I will give it a shot, but if it does any forward dipping I'm sure I'm going to hate it.

It does, but not in a bad way IMHO. The Nikola hard mode actually makes the pedals dip and lock in a manner that I, myself, a self-professing soft-mode-pedal-swing-dipping lover, really don't like.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Congrats!

If you're handy, or can find someone who's handy, I would tear into the wheel to make sure all the screws and bolts are firmly in, especially the 12 board MOSFET screw, the pedal arm screws, maybe even the axle nuts (although those should be good out of the box) (I do this for any new wheel I get now, as I don't trust these company manufacture line workers.

Then, do at the very least the hydrophobic speaker cloth install that @Marty Backe & @Dzlchef (I beleive(?)) did, as that is a point of weakness for water infiltration.

Lastly, IMHO avoid setting the Nikola to Hard mode in the app, use anything else (albeit, I have yet to try medium mode, which I will today). The Hard mode is simply unusable IMHO on the Nikola, unlike every other previous Gotway model Hard modes, and ruins the experience of the Nikola ( @dieterGRAMS just tried mine last night after trying another riders' Nik+ set on Hard mode and had 2 different reactions for the same wheel LOL). And on the flip side, don't be scared to use the Nikola Soft mode, as it's slightly different than the typical Gotway Soft mode, has a soft rubbery resistance to it, and I think is palatable for riders who normally don't even go Soft mode.

Thanks for the lengthy post! I didn’t realize gotway even had an app until two days ago and I was seeing what I like on my MCM4 and ended up liking medium a lot. I’ll be sure to try out all the different modes and find a sweet spot. 

I’ve heard some people also re-grip their pedals with something that isn’t that plastic stuff. Recommended? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Zack Wong said:

I’ve heard some people also re-grip their pedals with something that isn’t that plastic stuff. Recommended?

Newer Nikola versions come with grip tape now - they changed it after the first gen Nikolas so no need to do that.

Edited by Nils
Languaging failed work
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the lengthy post! 

Sure~

1 hour ago, Zack Wong said:

A bunch of us in NYC really are liking regripping with the non-abrasive DKL stuff: https://dklskateboarding.com/#home-features

I know @Marty Backe recommends regripping with a 3M something, and that also seems to be equally as good, based on ppl's feedback on the forums.

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 2