My 84-volt Nikola Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

1 hour ago, UniVehje said:

Yes, exactly. 25% battery on 18XL is about 3.3 volts. That would be 0% on a Gotway. It doesn’t make sense comparing percentages. A better way is to think them both not throttling down to 3.3 volts and after that Gotway throttless to 0 km/h and Kingsong lets you still ride 40+ km/h and keep going. That is a strike against Gotway on long rides. 

What can I say, I don't like forced tilt-back.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UniVehje said:

Yes, exactly. 25% battery on 18XL is about 3.3 volts. That would be 0% on a Gotway. It doesn’t make sense comparing percentages. A better way is to think them both not throttling down to 3.3 volts and after that Gotway throttless to 0 km/h and Kingsong lets you still ride 40+ km/h and keep going. That is a strike against Gotway on long rides. 

this is apparently not the case on new nikolas.. word is, they let the battery go down as low as kingsong now so its fair game

2 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

this is apparently not the case on new nikolas.. word is, they let the battery go down as low as kingsong now so its fair game

:blink:

:shock2:

:w00t2:

I really hope this is true!

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Arbolest said:

:blink:

:shock2:

:w00t2:

I really hope this is true!

so do i lol... cant wait to test it on my 2100 nikola when it finally gets here ffs dang slow boat from china couldnt be any slower

7 hours ago, Rywokast said:

so do i lol... cant wait to test it on my 2100 nikola when it finally gets here ffs dang slow boat from china couldnt be any slower

Just out of curiosity why do you want the bigger battery one? I thought it just went faster but had less distance. Are you interested in more speed? Most of you senior guys here seem to be more interested in distance than anything else that I can see especially Marty. 

43 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

Just out of curiosity why do you want the bigger battery one? I thought it just went faster but had less distance.

The 2100 Nikola is an 84v system. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, wheelr said:

The 2100 Nikola is an 84v system. 

Ah. What confused me is it’s not on ewheels website or at least where I can see it. The 84v Nikola is 1600 on there

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Battery size has no influence on speed. But on range. Sweet, sweet range!

Cool. Range is not that big a deal to me at least not now because I only use these things as toys.  I really don’t think I’d ever be too keen on commuting with one of these things because I just don’t trust other drivers. What I mean is what would generally be a fender bender if you were in a car would probably make you a paraplegic on a wheel.  I feel the same way about riding motorcycles.  I’ve seen some horrendous stuff in my 40,000 miles a year traveled. 

I think range would come into play if I was ever lucky enough to join you guys on and adventure somewhere. That would be cool. 

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

That statement is guaranteed to ruffle some feathers ;)

Long range wheels have zero to do with commuting. Commuting on wheels is generally less than 10-miles because otherwise it takes too long.

Long range wheels is all about having fun on our toys as you say.

I’m not sure why my friend. Aren’t they toys?  No different then scooters or four wheelers, skateboards, the very cool but dangerous IMHO Onewheel.   Fun stuff man. Like snowboarding or downhill skiing. I think you get the point. I don’t see how that could ruffle feathers. Unless you mean my not understanding about riding long-distance?  How could that upset anyone either?  I just haven’t had the need for that yet but I completely understand it. The longer the better makes perfectly good sense to me. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

I’m not sure why my friend. Aren’t they toys?  No different then scooters or four wheelers, skateboards, the very cool but dangerous IMHO Onewheel.   Fun stuff man. Like snowboarding or downhill skiing. I think you get the point. I don’t see how that could ruffle feathers. Unless you mean my not understanding about riding long-distance?  How could that upset anyone either?  I just haven’t had the need for that yet but I completely understand it. The longer the better makes perfectly good sense to me. 

Many people (I'm not saying you) will deride someones interest by referring to their "stuff" as toys. Toys are cheap and of little importance. Certainly you have had that experience in your life?

Thus my comment, with the smiley face.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Many people (I'm not saying you) will deride someones interest by referring to their "stuff" as toys. Toys are cheap and of little importance. Certainly you have had that experience in your life?

Thus my comment, with the smiley face.

I understand. Sometimes I’m kind of slow. Let me put it in perspective how I kind of look at it and then people know I’m not being insulting. I consider my Mercedes-Benz a toy. It’s very fast and has lots of cool features that are absolutely not necessary for me to do my job which has me driving thousands of miles a year. That’s why I consider it a toy. So toys can be very expensive in my world also. :-)  Actually my four wheeler is pretty expensive too.  Anyway I think you get my point. All good. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

I consider my Mercedes-Benz a toy. It’s very fast and has lots of cool features that are absolutely not necessary for me to do my job which has me driving thousands of miles a year.

Yet that is not everyone's situation. Some user on this forum use EUCs as their only means of transportation.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wheelr said:

Yet that is not everyone's situation. Some user on this forum use EUCs as their only means of transportation.

Ok.  Some of the people that work at at one of our factories in Ottawa Canada use snowmobiles to get to work in the winter. Pretty cool. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Battery size has no influence on speed. But on range. Sweet, sweet range!

But a larger capacity battery will allow the wheel to ride longer at its higher speed without slowdown or tiltback.

I’ve logged over 7000 miles in urban commuting across various wheels.  That’s not a toy.  50-60lbs objects that can reach speeds in excess of 30mph are not toys, they are vehicles.  People who have wiped out at high speed definitely do not describe the experience as fun or playful (seriously, take a trip through the injury thread sometime).  Can I have fun riding my wheel, yep!  I can also have fun driving my pickup truck, that does not mean it is a toy....

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

I can explain in case you are genuinely confused.
The actual definition of toy is "an object for a child or other to play with".
Using the term "toys" is normally considered as degrading, devaluing, and belittling. Thus the ruffling of feathers.
It is also commonly used as a master suppression technique especially by women and particularly wives to belittle men / their husbands.

In the context that you used it one can also find an air of elitism where you are implying that you have other vehicles of more importance, specs, value.
As if you are passing us in your Ferrari while we are on our "toys".
Or alternatively that your skill level as a rider is so incredibly advanced that they are toys to you and that riding at 40mph is a joke.

Viewing things from your own perspective will only give you your own perspective. To be properly socially calibrated one should also put himself in the shoes of the other person.

Wow, I wish I had the mental energy to have written what you just did. Perfecto explanation :cheers:

I think we're all good with @Patton250 now :)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

I can explain in case you are genuinely confused.
The actual definition of toy is "an object for a child or other to play with".
Using the term "toys" is normally considered as degrading, devaluing, and belittling. Thus the ruffling of feathers.
It is also commonly used as a master suppression technique especially by women and particularly wives to belittle men / their husbands.

In the context that you used it one can also find an air of elitism where you are implying that you have other vehicles of more importance, specs, value.
As if you are passing us in your Ferrari while we are on our "toys".
Or alternatively that your skill level as a rider is so incredibly advanced that they are toys to you and that riding at 40mph is a joke.

Viewing things from your own perspective will only give you your own perspective. To be properly socially calibrated one should also put himself in the shoes of the other person.

Edited by Patton250

23 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Wow, I wish I had the mental energy to have written what you just did. Perfecto explanation :cheers:

I think we're all good with @Patton250 now :)

Edited by Patton250
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

Marti I’m deeply sorry to you if I’ve upset you in anyway. I have a tremendous amount of respect for you here. However I’m not going to feel bad in the slightest way that I couldn’t anticipate absolutely everything that offends people. I would’ve never seen that coming in 1 million years so I’m not going to apologize for it here.  You weren’t kidding about ruffling feathers. Good grief. You’d  think I insulted that dude’s mother or something.  Or worse asked him for a loan. :-)

There’s currently a lot going on, world wide now, regarding the legal status of PEVs; some cities have already out right banned them.  While I don’t expect someone who toodles around on their wheel in the local park on a Sunday to think much on that, there are those of us who see them as a mode of transportation at least equal to, if not superior, to bicycles.  We want to see our wheels enjoy the same legal status that’s afforded to bicycles.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, JBoo said:

There’s currently a lot going on, world wide now, regarding the legal status of PEVs; some cities have already out right banned them.  While I don’t expect someone who toodles around on their wheel in the local park on a Sunday to think much on that, there are those of us who see them as a mode of transportation at least equal to, if not superior, to bicycles.  We want to see our wheels enjoy the same legal status that’s afforded to bicycles.

I absolutely would like that as well. Makes perfect sense. Lots of time government is silly with what they do I understand that. Believe me you don’t want to get me going on the overreaching of government. LOL 

But there’s absolutely no reason for that guy to insult me and call me an elitist snob or tell me to get socially more conscience because I think of EUC’s as something to have fun with.  Every video I’ve ever seen of them is of people having fun in an extracurricular activity type of way.  What he said was a heck of a lot more offensive than me calling a wheel a toy. IMHO

• Like 2