My 84-volt Nikola Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

27 minutes ago, Anagnorisis said:

Just a quick question how do I play music through the speakers? Every time I press the speak icon on the gotway app it disables.

Open your Bluetooth configuration panel on your phone and you should see a Gotway Music device. Attach to that and now your Nikola is a Bluetooth speaker for your phone. The speaker is totally independent from the Gotway phone app.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Anagnorisis said:

Thanks, @Marty Backe! So everything works on my wheel now. Just not sure if I want to apply silicon on the connectors.. I think I may just use electrical tape instead.

Good :thumbup: The only connector that you might consider using silicon on, is the hall sensor connector (the connector with the most pins). If that works loose (highly unlikely, but ...) you instantly faceplant. All the other connectors could disrupt various functions but would not endanger you while riding.

Yes I installed it the other day. Its fairly straight forward, the hardest part is getting the small circular pins into place for the three phases. I did mess around with the connector around the lights and now have it working so you can turn it off.

1 minute ago, Dzlchef said:

I was going to install tomorrow but got this message this morning from eWheels...

"Before installing the controller, if you have not already, there's a bug on these replacements boards where the headlight does not turn off with either the power button short-press or from the App. Waiting for information from Gotway...."

I saw this also, that's why I'm waiting

55 minutes ago, Anagnorisis said:

Yes I installed it the other day. Its fairly straight forward, the hardest part is getting the small circular pins into place for the three phases. I did mess around with the connector around the lights and now have it working so you can turn it off.

How did you get it to work

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Han Vo said:

God I hope someone does a video for the unelectrically inclined. I don't want to mess it up

Maybe @Marty Backe would like to do the board swap on my wheel and record for everyone???   I'd do it myself but I have no video recording equipment save my cell phone.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Han Vo said:

God I hope someone does a video for the unelectrically inclined. I don't want to mess it up

The worst that can happen is an explosion and lots of smoke :o

I kid, I kid ;)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I've been dealing with stuff like this for the past 3-years, so it really doesn't bother me anything. I just feel it comes with the territory. Either I accept reality and roll with it or I don't ride. I choose to ride. Of course everyone makes their own peace.

Of course.  It’s worth it to ride.   Riding my wheel is the most peaceful, wonderful place I can think to be.  I’m just new to the whole scene and dealing with companies like this so I guess I’m kinda she’ll shocked about the whole incompetence of the whole thing .   But nothing could be bad enough for me to stop riding lol.  The peace and zen I feel on my wheel is worth whatever hassle I have to blow through. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Lucas Alexander Oliver said:

Of course.  It’s worth it to ride.   Riding my wheel is the most peaceful, wonderful place I can think to be.  I’m just new to the whole scene and dealing with companies like this so I guess I’m kinda she’ll shocked about the whole incompetence of the whole thing .   But nothing could be bad enough for me to stop riding lol.  The peace and zen I feel on my wheel is worth whatever hassle I have to blow through. 

Sadly, someday you too will be accustomed to the Chinese way of things, and will begin to think it's normal :facepalm:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks @Dzlchef for blazing the path here :cheers:

Hi Marty, 

Is there no gasket on the new speaker?

You put the water-repellent fabric inside and if I see it right, there won't be a proper seal on the outer edge. 

It's better to make the fabric larger and protrude beyond the support ring, so that the fabric is clamped and sealed between the speaker and the housing. In addition, I would glue the fabric to the white ring on the housing, so no more water can get into the edge. If the loudspeaker has no gasket, gluing is mandatory. :efee47c9c8:

Screenshot_20190714-100142_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190714-095940_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190714-100518_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, buell47 said:

Hi Marty, 

You put the water-repellent fabric inside and if I see it right, there won't be a proper seal on the outer edge. 

It's better to make the fabric larger and protrude beyond the support ring, so that the fabric is clamped and sealed between the speaker and the housing. In addition, I would glue the fabric to the white ring on the housing, so no more water can get into the edge. If the loudspeaker has no gasket, gluing is mandatory. :efee47c9c8:

Screenshot_20190714-100142_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190714-095940_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190714-100518_Samsung Internet.jpg

There is a riser gasket that comes with the speaker that fits very tightly inside the white ring of the speaker opening which would seat the fabric.  I think the tight tolerance along with the clamping of the screws would hold everything in place and make it more water resistant than other parts of the shell. 

Edited by Dzlchef
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, buell47 said:

Hi Marty, 

It's certainly not a "perfect" solution, but I think it's substantially better than what comes from Gotway. Clearly if the wheel is submerged in water there will be issues, but I think what I did will prevent 99-percent of any splash-water from getting into the speakers.

My video is meant to be inspirational. Anyone who actually does the work can modify the process to suit their needs :)

• Like 3