My 84-volt Nikola Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

I am not very impressed by the range either.  I weigh 190 and with my gear and pack I’m prolly 210 ish and even though I haven’t done a true dedicated range test I only got like 28 miles on my longest ride and It tilted me back a few times and I had to get off and push for a min to let it get enough juice back up for me to ride a bit.   I ride very aggressively though and I live in Seattle so I go up lots of long hills at a pretty good speed 27-30mph. So I know that eats up the power .   But it feels so good to ride.   I took my ks16s out yesterday and after a mile I was bored. I just wanted back on my nikola .    Maybe I should get the 1845 wh Nikola Plus   .   That sounds fun 🚀😍👍👍

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lucas Alexander Oliver said:

I am not very impressed by the range either.  I weigh 190 and with my gear and pack I’m prolly 210 ish and even though I haven’t done a true dedicated range test I only got like 28 miles on my longest ride and It tilted me back a few times and I had to get off and push for a min to let it get enough juice back up for me to ride a bit.   I ride very aggressively though and I live in Seattle so I go up lots of long hills at a pretty good speed 27-30mph. So I know that eats up the power .   But it feels so good to ride.   I took my ks16s out yesterday and after a mile I was bored. I just wanted back on my nikola .    Maybe I should get the 1845 wh Nikola Plus   .   That sounds fun 🚀😍👍👍

my god that's horrible range if it was indeed tilt back from low battery.. I can go 28 miles on my ks16s and still have like 50% battery remaining lol.. last time I checked it I went from 100% battery, did a short 30 km trip and still had 72% battery, it's range is ridiculous in the summer months but I do weigh a lot less than you and it's top speed is 35.. but still, when is cold out I could get 100 km on my acm2 before it beeped at me for low battery, I hope to be able to get similar on the nikola I'll do a range test once I get it

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 1

Just now, Rywokast said:

my god that's horrible range if it was indeed tilt back from low battery.. I can go 28 miles on my ks16s and still have like 50% battery remaining lol.. last time I checked it I went from 100% battery, did a short 30 km trip and still had 72% battery, it's range is ridiculous in the summer months

Yeah it’s disappointing. I’m hoping I just hit reset or something and forgot. Lol. I need to do a dedicated test with my weight .  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lucas Alexander Oliver said:

Yeah it’s disappointing. I’m hoping I just hit reset or something and forgot. Lol. I need to do a dedicated test with my weight .  

my guess from peoples description of the nikola is it allows a lot more torque than other similarly sized wheels so with the weight increase if the rider the battery depletion is not as linear as it would be on say the 18XL because it would allow them to draw much more power

1 hour ago, Rywokast said:

my god that's horrible range if it was indeed tilt back from low battery.. I can go 28 miles on my ks16s and still have like 50% battery remaining lol.. last time I checked it I went from 100% battery, did a short 30 km trip and still had 72% battery, it's range is ridiculous in the summer months but I do weigh a lot less than you and it's top speed is 35.. but still, when is cold out I could get 100 km on my acm2 before it beeped at me for low battery, I hope to be able to get similar on the nikola I'll do a range test once I get it

Keep in mind that the 16S is a slow wheel. Speed really eats power. I can get 40+ miles on my 14S even when I ride aggressively, but the wheel tops out at ~18-mph. I can totally believe that just about any performance wheel, if ridden aggressively and very fast could only get 30-miles.  

2 hours ago, Anagnorisis said:

@Marty Backe did you end up making that black jumper cable? I was following the thread but didn't know if you did or not. And it also sounds like you have a dud new board. Is that correct?

My board has the jumper cable/connector. I suspect that there's a problem with the daughterboard that powers the fan.

5 hours ago, buell47 said:

43 on flat terrain and slow down on return... that's not really impressive!? :huh:

How far would you get with the MSX under the same conditions?

I've done ~51-miles on the same basic ride, but faster, on the MSX. I'll be taking on my formal range test route soon. It's not horrible mileage, but not great for sure.

The Nikola is a big wheel with a huge tire. Yet it's a very responsive wheel. I think that comes at the expense of power.

Another reason why I should upgrade to the 2100wh version :D

• Like 2

4 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

In the end, the manufacturer decides how much power the wheel is allowed to draw for accelerations. There's no real natural state or upper limit, so it's a balancing act between instant torque/zippyness and (too) quick battery depletion.

Maybe it's too early to tell, but could it be the Nikola simply draws more power by design so it rides more dynamically? As opposed to a more delayed and sedate behavior that a factually 18 incher like it would have (how much bigger is a 18x2.5 tire diameter really)?

Marty (or anybody else), can you tell if this might be the case? Is the nice Nikola ride simply due to more instant oomph like a smaller wheel (but with the advantages of the bigger tire as well)? Did they just brute force in more power compared to wheels till now?

I wonder how the reportedly more torque-y 16X will do it. Will it also have less range than expected? Will they have limiters that make the wheel feel weaker as soon as a high power draw doesn't go away immediately?

The Nikola is much closer to the MSX in size than the ACM. Yet it's closer to the ACM in responsiveness compared to the MSX. So I suspect that comes at the expense of additional power consumption.

Be sure you buy the 2100wh version :thumbup:

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

But you have not tested the final KS16X yet 😉

The info I got from my dealer... 😍🥰 I am 210% sure it is going to beat any Nikola by miles... (yes I prefer KS and not shy to admit that.. hinch 10% of the 210%😉

Only reason I did put in 310% is the up in the air about the seat option. @US69😉

Edited by Unventor

19 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Do it by yourself….Easy! Open your Tesla and use one of those packages...Should fit ;)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, US69 said:

Do it by yourself….Easy! Open your Tesla and use one of those packages...Should fit ;)

But that would ruin my Tesla, which I still ride :D

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I don't care how good the 16X is, a 2100wh Nikola will have more range :)

Sorry I can't help it:efef77eaf5::smartass:...

How far does a Nikola go pr glue stick?

Anyway as long you can ride and be happy I guess it is all fine... 

My new wheel got delayed, not ideal but it is what it is. 

About more range, how did your Nikola make it @Marty Backe? Nvm you the tesla (and it long range) 😉

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 1

So everyone else’s new board has the jumper cable?  Anyone know what it’s for?  Common ground maybe?  I guess I could solder a cable on there but not sure if it’s required 

7 minutes ago, Dzlchef said:

I'm a total Kingsong fan but amazed at the anti-Gotway sentiment strewn throughout this post. I've never experienced a better riding wheel in my life, and if the 16X beats the Nikola then awesome, but it doesn't detract from how amazing this wheel rides. Yes, the build quality is not consistent but I think all the manufacturers have been there regularly. 

In broad strokes, from my experience, KingSong wheelers tend to be more outspoken regarding their dislike of Gotway vs the other way around.

I don't put @Unventor in that camp if that's who you're thinking of. I think he's just having fun.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dzlchef said:

I'm a total Kingsong fan but amazed at the anti-Gotway sentiment strewn throughout this post. I've never experienced a better riding wheel in my life, and if the 16X beats the Nikola then awesome, but it doesn't detract from how amazing this wheel rides. Yes, the build quality is not consistent but I think all the manufacturers have been there regularly. 

Exactly. KS also had a problem with some KS-18L/XL locking or shaking. Inmotion had problems with batteries and overheating V10's.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

To be realistic, 50km/h is already double the speed that lawmakers find reasonable for a PLEV. The 18XL is just as good a choice than the fastest Gotways if one wants to ruin the public image by speeding.

Yes there is not that big a difference in top speed. If you look at how people word their thought of safety throttling is why most that aim for speed pick GW. Especially at the time before the KS18XL. 

And of course you don't need speed to do harm or stupid things to other people around you. 

• Upvote 1

Anyway so you got you Nikola back up running again @Marty Backe?

Does it feel different with a new board? 

As for your paint job, looks good. But I still madly envy your red KS18XL look. 

We shall see.... If we get a real bad winter... I might go crazy if I can't ride and do/get a paint job too. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

To me public image is ruined by people riding fast in and around pedestrians. There is a YouTube EUC guy that does it all the time. One quick move by the pedestrian to the left or right and they will be hit for sure. 

Haha you mean Mono Set. He has a Nikola now. I understand why he does it. It's because people are bitches and have their heads up their asses. It's not his problem to solve and he's making it that very clear. I'm definitely not defending him but I can see where he is coming from.

10 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Haha you mean Mono Set. He has a Nikola now. I understand why he does it. It's because people are bitches and have their heads up their asses. It's not his problem to solve and he's making it that very clear. I'm definitely not defending him but I can see where he is coming from.

Lol. Nope.  I never heard of that guy before. Never seen him or one of his videos before this one either. 

Call me crazy but I still think people walking on the street have the right to not worry about someone smacking into them going 20 mph on any vehicle including  a EUC.  Even if their head is up the other side of their lap. :-)

Edited by Patton250
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1