My 84-volt Nikola Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

19 hours ago, Unventor said:

@US69 I know what we discuss here is about GW but the mechanic behind it would be similar for KS. 

absolutly!

17 hours ago, Nils said:

To begin with I can only concur with your wishes that we had a EU Jason - but as far as I'm aware we don't. If you're in the US, then either buy from this very good proven dealer or choose the price cut and deal with any fall-out, perhaps pretty much on yourself. For us others, it seems to be a choice of buying from some hopefully-not-to-bad dealer or choosing the price cut and dealing with any fall-out, perhaps pretty much yourself.

We dont have a EU Jason...but we have quit some very good Dealers and even better repairshops…..for european i can Always recommend 1Radwerkstatt.de

17 hours ago, Unventor said:

@US69 for that that task, as it is anything but easy to bridge culture and customer / company relationship.

"not easy" is a real Understatement :whistling:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

That's so funny. You literally have his whole ride.

I think what I would have done is ride the 16S and trolley the Nikola - probably less bending over. Or better yet, why not practice your KingSong Guy skills and ride both wheels at the same time :D

I keep forgetting that every moment of these group rides is documented. I need to be a little more careful how I act. 

I thought about riding both down the hill but didn’t want to trigger another paramedic!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kens said:

Don't worry Igotchubro!!! :cheers:

Hide contents

What we really see here, how to practice riding with knees bend. So that you do better once you start to go off-road later. 

And the great part is recharging the KS in the process 👍😏

(news can always be twisted)

"beautiful new MOSFETs"

Beautiful by spec, maybe, but that assembly still looks like a mess. It's shocking to me how slapped together these things always look in EUCs.

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

New Board On The Way

Jason (EWheels) has just received the new control board(s). It's heading my way today and I'll be installing it on Tuesday. Really looking forward to it.

Look at those beautiful new MOSFETs :thumbup:

2019-06-28a

2019-06-28

Are they the bigger mosfets ?

10 minutes ago, stephen said:

Are they the bigger mosfets ?

Of course. That's what I just wrote, and can't you see them in the pictures? :)

It's a beautiful looking board :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, AtlasP said:

"beautiful new MOSFETs"

Beautiful by spec, maybe, but that assembly still looks like a mess. It's shocking to me how slapped together these things always look in EUCs.

Some people never want to be satisfied ;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

New Board On The Way

Jason (EWheels) has just received the new control board(s). It's heading my way today and I'll be installing it on Tuesday. Really looking forward to it.

2019-06-28a

2019-06-28

But where is the kindle? :confused1:^_^

An how on earth are you to light the bbq now for your hotdogs? you know we discussed the use of free space in the wheel, so you had lunch ready at the trail sumit.

:w00t2::popcorn:waiting for a new video....

10 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Of course. That's what I just wrote, and can't you see them in the pictures? :)

It's a beautiful looking board :thumbup:

the other once was burned, these have scilicone/locktight on them..:laughbounce2:

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

New Board On The Way

Awesome!!!! That is Super fast shipping from China :clap3::thumbup::D:w00t2:

That Big MOSFETs look GOOOOD!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jon Stern said:

So when will this board be standard for all new 84V Nikolas? (Just in case I need to switch my deposit from the 16x.)

That's a question for @Jason McNeil

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Phil McLaughlin said:

Wow! Just walked off a plane to see this. Looks Great! Aside from larger MOSFET packages, we are seeing a different thermal coupling solution. The long strip of thermal silicone that was shared by all six MOSFETs in a given row has been replaced by some type of thermal air gap solution that is individual to each MOSFET. I think that I see an edge of double sided Scotch Tape peeking out from under one of the MOSFET edges... it’s a joke... IT’S JUST A JOKE! Actually, I am guessing that they have used individual self adhesive thermal silicone pads and it looks like from this picture that the gap between the MOSFETs and the heat sink seem to be smaller. If thermal grease was being used I think that we would be able to see the mica insulators since they are always oversized to account for imperfect alignment. As shown in the tests in my videos the self-adhesive thermal pads can work quite well.

Larger surface area packages coupled with a better thermal air gap solution coupled with the absence of adhesive should make a substantial improvement in temperature control. However, what goes between the MOSFET and the heatsink is at least as important as the size of the MOSFET package so I will hold off on cracking open the first celebratory beer until I see the board; there is more to this than just TO-247=GOOD. That being said this is so far looking VERY promising. can’t wait to get a closer look! I am so happy to see Gotway stepping up and taking a sledgehammer to this thermal problem. They make unique products and I really want them to be successful.

Marty I am thinking that this new board may have your Nikola laughing at you all the way up Overheat Hill.

Now that you mention it (it's not a hi-res photo), I can see that the thermal sheet now looks to be much bigger than needed by the MOSFETs. So Gotway is sticking this large sheet directly to the heat-sink, thus eliminating the need for any glue/adhesive. Cool :thumbup:;)

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

Now that you mention it (it's not a hi-res photo), I can see that the thermal sheet now looks to be much bigger than needed by the MOSFETs. So Gotway is sticking this large sheet directly to the heat-sink, thus eliminating the need for any glue/adhesive. Cool :thumbup:;)

My 2 cents is that there shouldn't have been any need for glue/adhesive in the first place... :P

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

So what is that substance coming out from around the screws? Some sort of screw insulator, thread locker?