My 84-volt Nikola Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

5 minutes ago, kelec_947 said:

New gotway tesla v2 used Mosfet TO-247 ??

No, same board as the old Tesla. See here in this Tesla2 thread:

On 4/25/2019 at 7:40 PM, Jason McNeil said:

For the past six months Gotway has been using the newer HY MOSFETs on all the Wheels, including the Tesla. The only material changes in this variant, is the handle cut-off switch & speakers. 

UPDATE: just seen the pictures of the internals, awaiting clarification on this.

26 April UPDATE: confirmed, previous production (from 2019) also has the controllers mounted on the side. 

Looks like they use the same mosfets as the current 84V Nikola has. They aren't TO-247-level, but they're still pretty good. Even the original Tesla mosfets didn't cause problems.

10 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

No, same board as the old Tesla. See here in this Tesla2 thread:

Looks like they use the same mosfets as the current 84V Nikola has. They aren't TO-247-level, but they're still pretty good. Even the original Tesla mosfets didn't cause problems. 

Yip...Not 247 Mos on the Tesla.

The Tesla with it's smaller 4p battery can only provide 2/3rd of power as a 1600wh/6p Wheel.

Probably the smaller MOS package is enough for that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Marty, your videos are really helping! :thumbup:

Nikola with no glue, TO-247 with bigger mosfets, and 2100Wh is going to be sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Yeah, I was thinking you just may pull the trigger on the Nikola after all :cheers:

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Han Vo said:

Will they be sending these out to all Nikola first adopters? Or do i have to burn out and faceplant at 20mph first?

If you bought your wheel from EWheels you should be good. Jason is getting a shipment of new boards. BTW, these boards use the HY5110 MOSFET

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, stephen said:

I'm glad to hear this news Marty , hope they fly it to you and not the slow boat ☹️, does this mean,,, yes you guessed it ,,,, over heat hill test 😁😁,,,, maybe after a couple of small hills and you get no voltage vibrations maybe?😊 

Tell the prison inmates Nikola is coming to see them 😄 they'll be well excited 

Nono they are going very green watercycle delivery. After all it is for an uniCYCLE... Expected 2021 if not satnav mess up 😜

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Han Vo said:

Will they be sending these out to all Nikola first adopters? Or do i have to burn out and faceplant at 20mph first?

I think that is a question for your dealer... 

10 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

News Directly From Gotway

Gotway has reached out to me, acknowledging that they have seen my video and that they want to replace my control board.

But here's the real kicker, and should be of interest to many. After telling me that a new board will be sent to me, on a separate line is this, "With big MOSFETs" 

So it appears that Gotway does have a new 84-volt control board design with what I assume is the TO-247 MOSFETs. 

Very exciting.

They've heard us :thumbup:

30 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

If you bought your wheel from EWheels you should be good. Jason is getting a shipment of new boards. BTW, these boards use the HY5110 MOSFET

The HY5110 MOSFET is that the Gotway said "With big MOSFETs" , and are they better or as good as the TO-247 MOSFETs used in MSX and Monster?

Thanks.

PQ

41 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Exactly why we buy from him. Ive been riding around 15 to 20 mph not daring to push it too hard in Vegas hot summer weather. I take mostly bike trails and paths  but also some bike lanes that shares with cars. These cars are already riding close to me to see what the hell im riding. It would suck to have a mosfet burned out at that moment. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Peter Q said:

The HY5110 MOSFET is that the Gotway said "With big MOSFETs" , and are they better or as good as the TO-247 MOSFETs used in MSX and Monster?

The HY5510 mosfet is what's IN the TO-247 package (the black plastic casing of the mosfet). According to the data sheet when you google them ("HY5110 MOSFET"), they will come in TO-247.

I don't know if they're the same mosfets used in the MSX, or even better. Some dealer website had the MSX mosfets rated at 200A continuous when I googled for that, the smaller HY3712P (in TO-220) of the Nikola are 170A according to the data sheet, but these are over 300A in comparison. (Numbers used only for relative comparison without meaning by themselves.) They might be even better:whistling:

• Like 3