How to make a mono look bi....

MetricUSA

I was looking for a backpack or hiking trailer for us self balancers to use when I came across honey badger wheel... Damn if it wouldn't look like your are on a regular scooter...

https://www.honeybadgerwheel.com/

Besides extra gear, I would think using a trailer for your backpack (they have a hand brake to help stopping) would take weight off your wheel and that would help reduce power needs on your battery.... I use my wheel to go grocery shopping so I definitely need a trailer or wagon...

Here is a hands free model https://hipstar.net/ but no hand brake not so good on hills...

Edited by MetricUSA
  • Like 1

There is also the pack wheel and the mono walker.

I'm trying to mod a cheap single wheel bicycle trailer and see where that goes as I can't see myself needing these very often and don't want to spend too much on it.  Maybe something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Maya-Cycle-Bike-Trailer/dp/B00BQOMJ9O/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=maya+trailer&qid=1559418365&s=gateway&sr=8-1

I bought a cheapo version of this and when it came the axles weren't even aligned so the wheel was impossible to mount.

The pack wheel and hbw don't look easy to use if you are pulling it behind you, and I don't know how effective it will be trying to use it in wheel barrow mode.

I've modified one wheel, two wheel, and four wheel (don't laugh) trailers for my larger EUCs.

The only success is with the four wheel trailer with pneumatic tires, as the 1 and 2 wheels change the angle too much to have good control, but the four wheel trailer which looks ridiculous actually works quite well so long as you keep the speeds below 12 mph.

Rider induced oscillations is a big problem going downhill.

I used this four wheel trailer, with modified exercise bands. (No longer on Amazon, sorry) as well as two wheeled cargo trailers.

I was hoping the two wheel trailers would work, but they are extremely"wiggly" and sway terribly in the middle regardless of the load. Interestingly when I reversed them with the trailer on front they weren't too hard to push as the lower speeds. Easier than expected. The 4 wheeled trailers work but then you're looking at 80 plus pounds.

EUC don't seem suitable for any trailers.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for sharing. I need to move 80lbs for a photography project and was considering an ebike or a bigger euc.  I decided to try euc first since I don't bike that much, but maybe I made the wrong decision. We will see.

I only need to go like 2km at a time, off-road, and I don't really care how fast it is (it's still faster than walking and easier than hiking this stuff in).

Did you attach the trailer to the euc, your body, or did you hand hold them?

4 hours ago, scotchtape said:

I tried all three, but my wheel to trailer attachment was decidedly ghetto.

While I eventually developed the skill to carry 100 pound loads across dirt paths and grass fields, I don't recommend it because the ground to tire pressure is much too high, that is, the tire will sink deeply into even slightly soft ground. If you can stick to pavement then I believe the weight you can carry is extremely high, right up to the pedal and axle limit. Note that's a single pedal, because you still have to mount the wheel. You don't need a lot of skill to carry heavy loads, and they can be entirely to one or the other side without much effect on your left to right balance. 

Oddly enough, carrying a box of cereal on one side with the big flat side facing into the wind I find quite difficult to do.

Two wheeled wheelbarrows require great skill, single wheel barrows were beyond me (well beyond my skill).

I would think one of the huge triple wheeled baby strollers with the pneumatic tires that you push would allow you to carry the most weight over some pretty uneven terrain.

Edited by LanghamP

On 6/2/2019 at 12:33 AM, scotchtape said:

Thanks for sharing. I need to move 80lbs for a photography project and was considering an ebike or a bigger euc.  I decided to try euc first since I don't bike that much, but maybe I made the wrong decision. We will see.

I only need to go like 2km at a time, off-road, and I don't really care how fast it is (it's still faster than walking and easier than hiking this stuff in).

I am trolleying a suitcase behind me from time to time. I needed to get used to it, as the dynamics feel quite a bit different, but it's perfectly fine after some practicing. Judging from this experience, going 2km with some kind of walker shouldn't be a problem either.

@Mono What kind of suitcase are you using that is suitable for trollying behind you? 

I've done this myself, but all of the suitcases I've tried had these crappy plastic wheels that start melting when they get a little bit of speed.

1 hour ago, CptSalami said:

@Mono What kind of suitcase are you using that is suitable for trollying behind you? 

I've done this myself, but all of the suitcases I've tried had these crappy plastic wheels that start melting when they get a little bit of speed.

yeah, I also melted one of mine. The only reliable solutions I can propose is either to be patient and go slowly or to carry the suitcase in front instead of dragging it behind. Two wheeled suitcases seem to be stronger than four wheeled ones, but my sample size is rather limited either way.

I'm usually going with the carrying option, as reducing speed is a dealbreaker when I'm traveling.

Maybe there is a big untapped market for suitcases with wheels capable of going at 50-60 km/h? :D

I pulled my brother’s ice-hockey back for about half a mile some time ago. This bag is huge, and has two small wheels. I did go at around 10mph for most of the journey, and despite the sound of ”not-designed-for-this”, the tires and their bearings were fine. This was on pavement however, and even a dirt cycleway would likely have made it more of a slider than a roller.

I think I remember seeing trailing two-wheeled baby strollers for runners. The wheelbase was not at all wide, and the center of gravity was well below the axle level of the large tires. I would check if the width of those could be feasible for you.