Paint vs Wrap on an EUC: Impressions and Thoughts

Lutalo

Great summation!

Curious...have you ended up with a wrinkle free shrink wrap job? I know you were dissatisfied with one application early on. I’ve tried wrapping my Mten3 numerous times and I still end up with some blemishes.

I’ve had zero issues applying paint so I’m on the fence about which method is the best.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Great summation!

Curious...have you ended up with a wrinkle free shrink wrap job? I know you were dissatisfied with one application early on. I’ve tried wrapping my Mten3 numerous times and I still end up with some blemishes.

I’ve had zero issues applying paint so I’m on the fence about which method is the best.

I don’t think either method is best per se. I think that you have an easier time with paint because your skill level is higher than your wrap skills, and I’m guessing that you probably have a man cave shed/ workshop space for projects 😁😁. I know if I had that kind of setup I would likely paint every time. You can probably guess from the photos that my space is limited; I actually use my single car garage for to park a car 😁😁😁. Painting is definitely a lower level of effort once the job begins. wrap is not too difficult either; but, it does require some skill to get it totally right, and you will probably need practice to get it totally down. When it’s right though the results are undeniable. Heat is your friend with wrap. 

I did get good enough to know how to eliminate wrinkles and Air bubbles. My XL has been wrapped twice and now, painted once. Took me two try’s and countless videos with the vinyl to break the learning curve: heat, traingle pull, tuck and cut. It took me several tries with paint (on other wheels) as well, I feel like I am good enough now to get decent results using both methods, but my wife is pissed about the overspray on my garage floor. So, I think I will be wrapping from here on out unless I get some help prepping.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lutalo said:

I did get good enough to know how to eliminate wrinkles and Air bubbles. My XL has been wrapped twice and now, painted once. Took me two try’s and countless videos with the vinyl to break the learning curve: heat, traingle pull, tuck and cut. It took me several tries with paint (on other wheels) as well, I feel like I am good enough now to get decent results using both methods, but my wife is pissed about the overspray on my garage floor. So, I think I will be wrapping from here on out unless I get some help prepping.

Yes it’s a learning curve but it sounds like your past that point. 

I’ve had one perfect wrap out of 3.  I find that some vinyl material is harder to work with no matter how much I heat and stretch. I usually read the positive/neg comments about the supplier before ordering but some unique patterns are limited to only one manufacturer so I purchase it anyway.

Keep posting your work. It’s fun to see a wheel transformed. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lutalo said:

Below is a photo of my painted 18XL: inner shell, and cap.

IMG_20190529_190031.jpg

Just curious, why did you paint the inner shell all over? 

1 minute ago, Unventor said:

Just curious, why did you paint the inner shell all over? 

Just a little extra protection against road chemicals and other environmental stuff that can degrade the material. Not super duper necessary, but it was fun.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Yes it’s a learning curve but it sounds like your past that point. 

I’ve had one perfect wrap out of 3.  I find that some vinyl material is harder to work with no matter how much I heat and stretch. I usually read the positive/neg comments about the supplier before ordering but some unique patterns are limited to only one manufacturer so I purchase it anyway.

Keep posting your work. It’s fun to see a wheel transformed. 

Thanks man. In general, chrome and metallic finishes are more challenging to work with. They tend to be more susceptible to damage from heat and they re not as elastic as the regular finishes; non- metallic, and non-chrome satins, mattes, and glosses. 

15 hours ago, Lutalo said:

<snip>

All factors considered, I have concluded that for me vinyl wrap is ultimately the most painless way for me to personalize my EUC.

Below is a photo of my painted 18XL: inner shell, and cap.

IMG_20190529_190031.jpg

Very nice summary. Funny, I came to the opposite conclusion as you :D after reading what you wrote. Think I'll stick with paint.

BTW, I do my painting outside, but then I have the dependable beautiful Southern California weather to (not) contend with B)

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2019 at 3:29 PM, General Principle said:

Somewhat interested in this as I don’t want to completely wreck my first and only whee while trying to learn.

Vinyl will give some protection from falls, but it's minimal. A friend of mine dropped his brand new Nikola today, and the fall Tore through .25" of neoprene foam. If your wheel takes a fall your shell will likely get scratched; even with vinyl covering. 

The difference is that you on peel and stick new vinyl to cover the ugly scratch. 😉👍

• Like 1

@Lutalo I am getting new inner structure for my KS18L on Friday. So I am move to a new structure and decided to toss in the money to buy a new spare shell (went for glossy white as it should be easier to cover with paint).

If this goes tits up, I can always put on my EUC bodyguard or the old matt black shell. 

But this is my first real go with spray paint. Wrapping is not my thing. I used to wrap role paying pen and paper book but a wheel cover is a far more complex form to do. 

Do you have a recommended paint brand or type to use. And do I need to use a primer first? I am trying to achieve a @Marty BackeKS18XL look just in metal/pearl/satin finish or that smashing look you got. 

I tried to get a quote at a car paint shop, and I had to put that at rest. Prices ranging from 2000-4000 sek (or about 200-400$) +25%vat.

So parts are coming in early next wheel. So I will do a paint shop in my garage with doors open. This should limit winds carrying the paint and autumn dust/leaves/insects setting on the paint as I work. 

I will do a wet sandpaper job first, or so I plan to do. 

Since my KS16X are due to be in late next week too I can now or less take my time with the paint job. I hope am finished doing the rebuild and painting within next or the week after. Structure comes on Friday, cover properly Tuesday maybe Monday. 

Any tip you guys might have are very very welcome. 

(I know you did some painting @Marty Backe @Rehab1 I have seen a nice looking orange KS18L/XL too but don't recall who it was that did the paintjob). 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Unventor said:

@Lutalo I am getting new inner structure for my KS18L on Friday. So I am move to a new structure and decided to toss in the money to buy a new spare shell (went for glossy white as it should be easier to cover with paint).

If this goes tits up, I can always put on my EUC bodyguard or the old matt black shell. 

But this is my first real go with spray paint. Wrapping is not my thing. I used to wrap role paying pen and paper book but a wheel cover is a far more complex form to do. 

Do you have a recommended paint brand or type to use. And do I need to use a primer first? I am trying to achieve a @Marty BackeKS18XL look just in metal/pearl/satin finish or that smashing look you got. 

I tried to get a quote at a car paint shop, and I had to put that at rest. Prices ranging from 2000-4000 sek (or about 200-400$) +25%vat.

So parts are coming in early next wheel. So I will do a paint shop in my garage with doors open. This should limit winds carrying the paint and autumn dust/leaves/insects setting on the paint as I work. 

Since my KS16X are due to be in late next week too I can now or less take my time with the paint job. I hope am finished doing the rebuild and painting within next or the week after. Structure comes on Friday, cover properly Tuesday maybe Monday. 

(I know you did some painting @Marty Backe @Rehab1 I have seen a nice looking orange KS18L/XL too but don't recall who it was that did the paintjob). 

When painting my wheels, I clean the surfaces and then mask. I apply two coats (within ~45-minutes) of RUST-OLEAM 2X Ultra Cover and I'm done.

32 minutes ago, Unventor said:

I know you did some painting @Marty Backe @Rehab1 I have seen a nice looking orange KS18L/XL too but don't recall who it was that did the paintjob). 

I’ve done both painting (mostly trim and pedals) and vinyl wraps. Like Marty said just be sure you clean the surface well. 

There is an actual plastic paint called Krylon Fusion that adheres extremely well. 

5 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I’ve done both painting (mostly trim and pedals) and vinyl wraps. Like Marty said just be sure you clean the surface well. 

There is an actual plastic paint called Krylon Fusion that adheres extremely well. 

You may want to ruff up the surface with steel wool our a high grit sand paper.  You want the surface smooth but not slick.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Unventor said:

44 minutes ago, Unventor said:

I didn’t primer, but the paint that I used is below. Good adhesion properties. Great coverage. Pretty easy. Good luck man. I am sure that it will look awesome 😉👍🏿

1F79FD91-0718-47EE-99ED-666CC247B8ED.jpeg

1 hour ago, fryman said:

You may want to ruff up the surface with steel wool our a high grit sand paper.  You want the surface smooth but not slick.

That could be good elbow therapy. Kind of like ‘Wax on...Wax off. ;)

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 1:23 PM, Lutalo said:

Vinyl will give some protection from falls, but it's minimal. A friend of mine dropped his brand new Nikola today, and the fall Tore through .25" of neoprene foam. If your wheel takes a fall your shell will likely get scratched; even with vinyl covering. 

The difference is that you on peel and stick new vinyl to cover the ugly scratch. 😉👍

What aboug the other option?

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 7:46 AM, Unventor said:

If this goes tits up, I can always put on my EUC bodyguard...

That's the one... At the risk of being rebuked by the moderators...

Using a (designer) cover has a number of advantages, including being able to replace it if it does get significantly damaged, or having dirrent ones available allowing you  to choose to suit your mood.

From the rumours I hear, as well as expanding to include more models (in the near future) whoever makes these awesome covers has also already included a number of improvements to the existing models as well as personalised customisations! Thiings like these;

bodyguard-customisation.jpg

KS-18XL with personalised EUC Bodyguard (feauring a custom "yni-yang" emblem)

KS-16S with personalised EUC Bodyguard (feauring a custom "turtle-yang" emblem)

• Like 3

i would say wrap is better for sure. unless you are just adding some of the same color on top to paint over scratches.

i recently wrapped my msuper x side panels with some red camo wrap. it turned out well. the wrap ofcourse can become scratched. (not yet with mine)

but the great thing is you can just peel it off. and put a new one on. it just takes a little time. but i would rather have that anyday. over having to sand it all down because the paint got scratched and now there is white scratches everywhere because the red paint got scratched off. and then you would have to sand, clean. paint. and then wait for it to dry.

vinyl wrapping also comes in a lot more patterns and finished than paint. painting a red camoflage pattern would be a nightmare for anyone inexperienced with paint. also. vinyl wraps are cheap!

photos coming soon...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

What aboug the other option?

That's the one... At the risk of being rebuked by the moderators...

Using a (designer) cover has a number of advantages, including being able to replace it if it does get significantly damaged, or having dirrent ones available allowing you  to choose to suit your mood.

From the rumours I hear, as well as expanding to include more models (in the near future) whoever makes these awesome covers has also already included a number of improvements to the existing models as well as personalised customisations! Thiings like these;

KS-18XL with personalised EUC Bodyguard (feauring a custom "yni-yang" emblem)

KS-16S with personalised EUC Bodyguard (feauring a custom "turtle-yang" emblem)

The neoprene covers are definitely an excellent option, and I have and will continue to recommended them to riders; especially, new riders. I wish they were available when I started riding; I would have bought one. They are highly functional with some cosmetic benefits to boot.

Although it’s nice that they are aesthetically pleasing, I don’t see the covers as a purely cosmetic option. Rather, I see them as a highly functional add-on to help preserve the cosmetic beauty of my investment. 

I will paint or wrap a wheel and still use a cover in certain challenging situations. In fact. If I personalize the looks of my wheel I might be more likely to buy a cover to preserve the new look.

because beauty is such a subjective notion, the primary value of the cover lies in its functionality. Painting or wrapping has virtually zero functionality; it’s pure vanity. The cover however can work alongside painting or wrapping, and thus a more complete solution.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

i would say wrap is better for sure. unless you are just adding some of the same color on top to paint over scratches.

i recently wrapped my msuper x side panels with some red camo wrap. it turned out well. the wrap ofcourse can become scratched. (not yet with mine)

but the great thing is you can just peel it off. and put a new one on. it just takes a little time. but i would rather have that anyday. over having to sand it all down because the paint got scratched and now there is white scratches everywhere because the red paint got scratched off. and then you would have to sand, clean. paint. and then wait for it to dry.

vinyl wrapping also comes in a lot more patterns and finished than paint. painting a red camoflage pattern would be a nightmare for anyone inexperienced with paint. also. vinyl wraps are cheap!

photos coming soon...

I’m glad that you like wrap. I do as well. I have wrapped and painted several wheels. The photos are mostly on Facebook or instagram because the forum platform doesn’t allow me enough space to load them here. I would have to imgur or something; which, is an extra step and I’m lazy about that sort of thing.

a few points about your comment;

1. Definitely agree prep for wrapping is easier.

2. Agree wrap is less messy

3. Agree More finishes and colors readily available for the novice. 

4. Agree and Disagree that wrap is cheap; at least compared to paint. A Good can of paint for our particular application is $3/$4 purchase. The last good wrap that I bought to do the same job costed me $100 bucks. On the other hand it depends somewhat on what you are wrapping. Don’t want to be presumptuous about the extent of your wrapping experiences, but your perspective makes a lot of sense to me if wrapping the side panels of an MSX shaped it. The side panels of an MSX require much less wrap, and is far less challenging to wrap than an entire 18XL; wrapping the XL is the experience that informs my perspective. A cheap wrap might actually go over well on the side panels of an MSX because it’s basically a straight surface with no tricky corners. Most wraps adhere well to flat surface areas; it’s the corners that reveal the difference. On an 18XL cheap wraps that don’t adhere well are a nightmare, because there are so many corners. I find that I’m partial to the 3M brand.

5. I have had to sand and clean under wrap to make wrap repairs also. Abrasions will show through wrap, and sometimes it doesn’t look that great.

6. Painting takes me less time even with prep to wrap an XL. Generally takes me three hours to wrap an entire wheel. I can paint a wheel in half the time; this includes drying between coats.

Edited by Lutalo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Lutalo said:

I’m glad that you like wrap. I do as well. I have wrapped and painted several wheels. The photos are mostly on Facebook or instagram because the forum platform doesn’t allow me enough space to load them here. I would have to imgur or something; which, is an extra step and I’m lazy about that sort of thing.

a few points about your comment;

1. Definitely agree prep for wrapping is easier.

2. Agree wrap is less messy

3. Agree More finishes and colors readily available for the novice. 

4. Agree and Disagree that wrap is cheap; at least compared to paint. A Good can of paint for our particular application is $3/$4 purchase. The last good wrap that I bought to do the same job costed me $100 bucks. On the other hand it depends somewhat on what you are wrapping. Don’t want to be presumptuous about the extent of your wrapping experiences, but your perspective makes a lot of sense to me if wrapping the side panels of an MSX shaped it. The side panels of an MSX require much less wrap, and is far less challenging to wrap than an entire 18XL; wrapping the XL is the experience that informs my perspective. A cheap wrap might actually go over well on the side panels of an MSX because it’s basically a straight surface with no tricky corners. Most wraps adhere well to flat surface areas; it’s the corners that reveal the difference. On an 18XL cheap wraps that don’t adhere well are a nightmare, because there are so many corners. I find that I’m partial to the 3M brand.

5. I have had to sand and clean under wrap to make wrap repairs also. Abrasions will show through wrap, and sometimes it doesn’t look that great.

6. Painting takes me less time even with prep to wrap an XL. Generally takes me three hours to wrap an entire wheel. I can paint a wheel in half the time; this includes drying between coats.

I agree. About wrapping being cheap. I mean cheap wraps. Are cheap. For flat surfaces and easy parts. They do the job well. But wrapping a whole wheel you should probably get a more expensive wrap. That's where paint comes in. And if you need it to be removable then plastidip paint. they both have their own benefits. But for the average joe who would like to pimp a certain part with the least amount of problems before and after. Wrapping seems lile the better alternative for most situations

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

I agree. About wrapping being cheap. I mean cheap wraps. Are cheap. For flat surfaces and easy parts. They do the job well. But wrapping a whole wheel you should probably get a more expensive wrap. That's where paint comes in. And if you need it to be removable then plastidip paint. they both have their own benefits. But for the average joe who would like to pimp a certain part with the least amount of problems before and after. Wrapping seems lile the better alternative for most situations

Absolutely! 😉👍🏿

i have two huge rolls of adhesive vinyl film wrap that i still havent opened haha.. i really want to try it though, it would be my first time ever using it.. i have painted a million things and have all the equipment and supplies on hand always, so thats usually what ill do.. but a major con is that once the paint gets damaged youre kind of screwed, especially if youre a perfectionist like i am.. sure you can simply paint over it but it will look like shiz, you have to sand it all down or find something to strip it that wont damage the plastic, both methods are tedious and messy... for a wrap sure the actual process might take more time but if you include the prep time, and waiting for paint to dry etc then wrapping surely would be the quicker process, i imagine for someone inexperienced it would be much harder to get right however from what i hear it seems that its very forgiving if you do it properly, and the biggest benefit is it can always be just easily removed and replaced unlike paint, so i imagine that would always be a better option in the end

• Like 1