MSX handling second day

Cracka

I recalibrated it five times took a short ride after each Cal it still does it. I also tried calibrating with a lean forward and lean backward angle and it would hold the angles that I calibrated to so it looks like it is calibrating. do I have a bad wheel. I also made sure that the wheel was completely vertical from side to side and kept it absolutely still.

Edited by Cracka
M
  • Like 1

Man I'm bummed with this pedal dipping, it's hard for me to hold speed in a turn now that I'm getting better. I was hoping I could  live with it but there's no way I can. I'm going to have to get it fixed. 

Thanks for all the support 

54 minutes ago, Cracka said:

Man I'm bummed with this pedal dipping, it's hard for me to hold speed in a turn now that I'm getting better. I was hoping I could  live with it but there's no way I can. I'm going to have to get it fixed. 

Thanks for all the support 

BTW, is your pedal mode set to Hard?

Maybe your expectations are off. I'm afraid that there is no fix unless there's really a problem. Hard to know based on your description.

My pedals still dip in turns and stuff, haha. After i calibrate it stays stiff for like....10 minutes. Then goes back to tilting. Its not huge, but you get used to it. To the point that when it doesnt do it, you feel uncomfortable XDD

• Like 1

Yeah I really need to find out if this is normal and if it is I'll just have to get use to it. I tried all the different riding modes and it's currently in sport which I think is hard. 

So what bothers me is when I go into 180 degree turn the pedals start to dip which slows me down and to keep speed I feel like I have to lean uncomfortably forward. Then when I straighten up out of the turn the pedals are angled down and then they slowly raise up back to level as I go straight. It does the same thing inScreenshot_2019-05-31-22-39-34.thumb.jpg.d7c966d89a4acd86ced0fef0c4198645.jpg a 90-degree turn but not as bad and easily manageable. Am I just a noob

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cracka said:

Yeah I really need to find out if this is normal and if it is I'll just have to get use to it. I tried all the different riding modes and it's currently in sport which I think is hard. 

So what bothers me is when I go into 180 degree turn the pedals start to dip which slows me down and to keep speed I feel like I have to lean uncomfortably forward. Then when I straighten up out of the turn the pedals are angled down and then they slowly raise up back to level as I go straight. It does the same thing inScreenshot_2019-05-31-22-39-34.thumb.jpg.d7c966d89a4acd86ced0fef0c4198645.jpg a 90-degree turn but not as bad and easily manageable. Am I just a noob

It's so difficult to diagnose problems (or to know if it's really a problem at all) based on descriptions. The English language is so inadequate sometimes :huh:

I certainly don't experience the difficulties that you are describing when I turn on the MSX.

When you say that you've tried all the modes (yes, Sport is the hard mode - pedals don't tilt at all), do you feel a difference? There should be a marked difference between soft and hard.

There must be other MSX riders in San Diego. If nothing else maybe you can find one and compare notes.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Guest PogArt Artur
2 hours ago, Cracka said:

I'm sorry but I've just spotted you've mention 180 degree turn...

From my point of view it isn't turn,but straight line instead :)

It's not meant to pick up on you, but to let you know to correct it :)

I'm following your story, and I feel sorry for this issue...

I hope @Marty Backe and others might be able to support you, while looking for the fixing...

Unfortunately I can't be of any help, as I have no really experience my friend.

I hope you can find the way to make it right, I mean the issue regarding tilting.

Best regards. 

45 minutes ago, PogArt Artur said:

I'm sorry but I've just spotted you've mention 180 degree turn...

From my point of view it isn't turn,but straight line instead :)

He means going straight and turn 180 degree so he's then going the opposite direction 😊  

It only does it on sharp turns but if you turn your body more it won't tilt as much , it only tilts forward more if your turning with your feet and not using upper body

Edited by stephen
  • Like 3

I thought because of the gyro the pedals should stay flat from front to back in a turn.  mine clearly does not.

Anyone have any ideas how I can find electric unicycle riders in San Diego?

Guest PogArt Artur
34 minutes ago, stephen said:

He means going straight and turn 180 degree so he's then going the opposite direction

Lol, so he's correct !

I'm sorry @Cracka, I got confused, as I wasn't considering you meant U turn by writing 180 degree turn...

I simply thought @Cracka mistaken 90 degree for 180 degree , lol :)

SORRY :)

I bet I were focusing too much on the posts, and have missed the point!

Thank you @stephen for sorting things out :)

I'm following @Cracka issue, because I like MSX, and it was my plan A or B to upgrade...

It might have took me more time to get used to riding it, but even I've chosen different wheel, I'm still fancy MSX for what it does :)

2 hours ago, Cracka said:

I thought because of the gyro the pedals should stay flat from front to back in a turn.  mine clearly does not.

Anyone have any ideas how I can find electric unicycle riders in San Diego?

You can use the Forum's search function to find members in specific areas. There are some active Forum members who ride in San Diego. They have group rides too :D

If you can't locate them, let me know and I'll hunt down there names. But please try the search function first.

Thanks Marty

I don't use forms often so I didn't know I could do that, I'll definitely use the search function.

I'm going to run an experiment and use the level app on my phone to measure pedal tilt in degrees and post results. 

• Like 1

I did the level test using the Android app and it looks like it dips by about 5 degrees which isn't a lot but hard to tell because it bounces around a lot. I was able to carry speed much faster through turns today so I guess I'm getting better and just need to get used to the wheel  i only have 30 miles logged so far. starting to realize I'm going a little loco with this pedal dip thing so I'm just going to ride and not think about it for now. Later on I'll try to hook up with the group ride and see what they think.

• Like 1

Pedal dip is real and happens on every wheel I've owned. I have owned over ten wheels from 3 top manufacturers and bought from different vendors online. Some wheels have a very pronounced dip, others slight. I have tried calibrating and riding stock straight out of the box. There is no way to get rid of it. Sometimes calibrating seems to lessen the dip, but never removes it completely. Your body orientation can make a big  difference. I find it best to just slow down on those sharp near u-turns and accelerate slowly out of the turn.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Yep, I am confident that calibration makes no difference (at least on some wheels), although some would disagree.

On my Z I have tried sensitivity from 0 through to 4, done multiple calibrations with the wheel absolutely still and upright in all planes and the pedal dip in slow, tight corners has always remained present.

I don't find it a problem anymore (truth be told it was never a real problem anyway), it just seemed weird that it happens in the first place.

23 minutes ago, Planemo said:

done multiple calibrations with the wheel absolutely still and upright in all planes and the pedal dip in slow, tight corners has always remained present.

Have you tried this method?

Yes, several times. The tilt remains. I think the only thing a calibration might help with is if the footplates are dipping unevenly between left and right turns - for example if you get say a 3 deg tip when doing lefts and a 5 deg dip when doing rights for the same given turn. The fact they dip is, I believe, inherent with the design/FW of a particular wheel and no amount of calibration is going to remove it. I have a feeling it might even be put there deliberately by design to assist the rider to negotiate the turn. As the wheel turns a tight corner, it will slow down. Adding pedal dips almost forces the rider to apply more weight to the front and therefore helps to maintain the same speed during the corner as the approach speed was.

18 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

There must be other MSX riders in San Diego. If nothing else maybe you can find one and compare notes.

He is the first MSX owner in San Diego. We've been waiting for one to show up.

• Like 2