Any Riders in East TN/Knoxville?

UbeRoll

Hello All! 

My wife and I just started riding our wheels about two months ago and having a blast learning how to ride. She has an Solowheel Glide 2 and I have a Glide 3. We're hoping to meet other riders nrearby to compare wheels, ride, and enjoy this new hobby. So far I've ridden at Melton Lake Park in Oak Ridge as well as the gentler parts of Haw Ridge, and hopefully soon build up riding skills to do Cades Cove in the future. Anyways, hope to hear from some of ya!

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to hop in on Cades Cove.  I attempted to ride my Ninebot One E+ through Cades Cove this morning 6/14/2019.  I made it about 200 feet into the door before a Park Ranger made me turn around.  He was nice and professional and let me ride it back to my car.  He was very clear that this is a NPS rule, so nowhere in the National Park Service areas can you ride.  

The EUC is NOT on the published list of banned devices and they do not follow the ADA OPDMD requirements.  They instead grouped it in with skateboards (also banned) instead of E-Bikes (which are welcomed).  Not wanting to take up his time or further impact others I didn't press the issue.  He did take down my EUC model number.  

Well that sucks. Maybe when I get there I should just floor it so they can't catch me! Just kidding. Or maybe not. 

This sounds like a case of a bad rule or misinformed rangers. I will be passing that area today, I may stop by and talk to someone in charge and see if they can be reasoned with. I will post my findings soon. 

If you ever want to go on a group ride, let us know. We've had our inmotion v8 and v5f for 2 months now and are looking forward to meeting other riders. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Anagnorisis said:

Hey guys I will be getting my EUC next week so I can ride with you at some point.

Very cool. Which one did you get? Have you been riding long? 

I decided to buy a GW Nikola. I have been riding a one wheel so this will be new to me. Basically one wheel got me hooked on this activity and watching the videos of guys cruising around made me decide to jump all in, I plan on riding the Greenway near Bike and Trails at first.

Nice wheel. I ride an Inmotion V8 and wife rides a V5F. We live in Oak Ridge so we ride the Melton Lake Park path which is perfect for learning and riding. And of course Haw Ridge is nearby if you want to go off roading. Let us know when you plan on riding, we are free all week. 

Edited by UbeRoll

2 hours ago, Anagnorisis said:

Nice video's you guys look pretty comfortable riding. I plan on doing Lakeshore at some point as well. I may go riding with you on either Wednesday or Friday of next week... 

Sounds good! Looking forward to it. 

• 2 months later...
On 6/14/2019 at 9:02 PM, Thomas Perry said:

I wanted to hop in on Cades Cove.  I attempted to ride my Ninebot One E+ through Cades Cove this morning 6/14/2019.  I made it about 200 feet into the door before a Park Ranger made me turn around.  He was nice and professional and let me ride it back to my car.  He was very clear that this is a NPS rule, so nowhere in the National Park Service areas can you ride.  

The EUC is NOT on the published list of banned devices and they do not follow the ADA OPDMD requirements.  They instead grouped it in with skateboards (also banned) instead of E-Bikes (which are welcomed).  Not wanting to take up his time or further impact others I didn't press the issue.  He did take down my EUC model number.  

Yesterday we were in the area and we decided to park and take a chance on riding the Cades Cove Loop. We were able to roll, no issues with traffic, and just before got to the end of the loop we got pulled over by the park ranger. Same as you he told us no EUCs in the park. He was a nice guy and and he let us finish the ride with a warning. 

If they ever allow EUCs, we would definitely ride it again. Until then, Cades Cove is verboten from the parks. 

21 minutes ago, UbeRoll said:

Yesterday we were in the area and we decided to park and take a chance on riding the Cades Cove Loop. We were able to roll, no issues with traffic, and just before got to the end of the loop we got pulled over by the park ranger. Same as you he told us no EUCs in the park. He was a nice guy and and he let us finish the ride with a warning. 

If they ever allow EUCs, we would definitely ride it again. Until then, Cades Cove is verboten from the parks. 

Seems like since the NPS is now opened to e-bikes, maybe just a bit of polite education on EUCs might help them get it on an agenda for a new ruling before next year.  Letters might be the way to go.

18 minutes ago, FreeRide said:

Seems like since the NPS is now opened to e-bikes, maybe just a bit of polite education on EUCs might help them get it on an agenda for a new ruling before next year.  Letters might be the way to go.

I did mention that, and he says that the parks are usually 2 years behind when implementing new rules. He also said although e-bikes are allowed, they also need to be pedal assisted. I wasn't going to argue about the details as he was allowing us to finish the ride. 

5 minutes ago, UbeRoll said:

I did mention that, and he says that the parks are usually 2 years behind when implementing new rules. He also said although e-bikes are allowed, they also need to be pedal assisted. I wasn't going to argue about the details as he was allowing us to finish the ride. 

ya, the laws everywhere are so far behind.  the pedal assisted rule that exists in most e-bike laws is ridiculous. First I have pedal assisted bike, and frankly accidental activation is a problem with these for many people as they start going, or if the pedals are bumped.  What is the point of this rule in the first place, I can barely turn the pedals with no effort and my bike will go full speed, there is no law about how much assist is allowed.  Luckily my bike also has a throttle, which in many cases is a must have feature, I would not buy an e-bike without one.  It actually makes several scenarios safer, although it does have the one downside that it can be accidentally bumped.  

• 4 months later...
On 9/1/2019 at 11:20 AM, UbeRoll said:

Its not JUST the parks, TN is at least 2-5 yrs behind on everything, and I LOVE it for it. Nice vids btw, smooth music choices. I live near the hot springs, NC area now, also near Del Rio T N.  I prefer TN over NC, but shit happens. Im new to the sport (hobby/game?)and am hoping to get comfy on it and get these old legs up to the task, by this spring.  Living just down the block from Heavens Door, means I ride my streets mostly. I'll keep a lookout for any planned rides out your way! At lest TN still operates on the good ole' boy network a little bit. Seems the rangers out here, LOVE making things harder, as TN rangers seems to prefer keeping things the other way. No harm, no foul.

Edited by ShanesPlanet