Age poll

esaj

Age distribution  

323 members have voted

1. 1. What age group do you belong into?

• <20
    • 20-29
    • 30-39
    • 40-49
    • 50-59
    • 60+

@esaj  perhaps you could expand this very interesting survey to include gender, city and country of riders and whether they have any EUC clubs in the area.

I have seen one other rider here but was unable to make contact because I was in a car and unable to stop.

• Like 1

Just now, AlanR said:

@esaj  perhaps you could expand this very interesting survey to include gender, city and country of riders and whether they have any EUC clubs in the area.

I have seen one other rider here but was unable to make contact because I was in a car and unable to stop.

There's already the http://forum.electricunicycle.org/forum/26-local-group-meet-ups/ -subforum for looking people in the same city/country and clubs... I don't think I'm going to change this poll, as I don't know if it's going to zero all the votes so far. But you're free to create your own location/gender poll? ;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• John Eucist unpinned this topic
  • 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...
On 10/11/2015 at 2:37 PM, robca said:

Wow, we are a bunch of geezers :) 62% (as of time of writing) are older than 40 years

This survey, while interesting, shows more about who is on the forum rather than who is riding wheels. We need a way to gauge who is riding out in the wilderness without talking about it here. I suspect the Facebook groups would give a very different result to a similar survey.

• Like 1

I’m 43, I saw first euc on one webshop year ago. Looked some videos on YT & I told myself it´s cool and must be fun. Bought V8 and yes, it’s fun. Now in winter only commuting, but during warmer days I’m riding everywhere. Now after 4500km on V8, I’m looking for something to longer trips because v8 bat is too limiting.

• Like 1

The first reaction one of my similar aged buddies (46) showed when I told him I was getting an electric unicycle was one of utter mirth, with one of the group saying 'you'll look like a clown on that f*&$ing thing, want me to get you a squirty flower and some fake dog poo? Flappy shoes?

No one I have spoken to has shown any real interest whatsoever. I need some EUC buddies near me :(

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mimolette said:

@winterwheel From observation (totally non-scientific) in Paris, "we" are mainly middle aged men, which aligns with the poll. EUCs haven't stricken the cool or feminine chord yet IMO.

Fair enough. In my area though lots of women are interested, probably nearly as many as guys. Young guys also think its cool. Why us middle-aged men are in it is because there are more of us willing to go online to order these things, and do some trial and error to get going on them. I'm pretty confident that if you dropped a few EUC's into, say, a skateboard shop, and had some training classes to go with it, you'd get the demographic changing pretty quickly. It's all about accessibility.

Edited by winterwheel
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have never gotten a laughed at reaction from anyone while riding my unicycle. The young kids thinks its cool,  The "hip-hop" generations think it's real cool. Affluent people think it's cool. Conservative people shown no disdain. Actual  little 70 year old ladies think it's cool. I live in Philadelphia where they threw ice balls at Santa Claus during a football game and being "East Coast cool" is a rite of passage. 

The unicycle isn't prevalent among the young here because it's expensive (they buy Wal Mart bikes. middle age people buy $3000 and up bikes), its existence or capabilities are unknown,  it is not available from a brick and mortar stores and their pears are more familiar with bikes, skateboards and scooters. Those in their late 20's through early 40's are more likely to seek their adrenelin rushes from sky-sports, motorcycles, fast cars or more social activities like ski /snowboarding. 

The one potential negative reaction I have seen was envy to flat out intimidation. Those truly insecure individuals will have to "pooh pooh" your little girly EUC because they are busy doing triple digits on/in their ...

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Planemo said:

'you'll look like a clown on that f*&$ing thing, want me to get you a squirty flower and some fake dog poo? Flappy shoes?

I've found there's a large population that literally cannot mentally picture anything other than a regular unicycle - even when you describe how it's different and tell them it goes faster, they just picture a person riding a regular unicycle but comically sped up (possibly to the tune of yakety sax)

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

40+ here because (1) money and (2) frustratingly I haven't been able to run like I used to, but this gets me outside, and actually wears me out a bit, unlike snoozing on an electric scooter.

Everyone seems to love it!  Just "own it" and show off.

Edited by xorbe
  • Like 3

You definitely have to consider younger people and lack of disposable income. A few people I know have all said how cool they think it is, until you mention the price. A couple of grand for one of the better wheels is not to be sniffed at. 

Somebody in their early twenties is probably already being shafted on things like car insurance. It is quite a big ask to spend a lot of money on an EUC.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 8:46 PM, Grandpa 1947 said:

I am 71 years old. I bought my first EUC, King Song 18XL, four months ago. The two week learning process was difficult. I have now ridden over 1,600 miles. My mileage has slowed because the police have stopped me three times for riding on bicycle/hiking paths. They consider me a motorized vehicle. All three told me I can ride on city streets. Yeah, sure. Anyway, I absolutely love riding this thing. I feel like I am on a magic carpet ride with the freedom it affords. Someone told me that at my age it is the most fun I'll have with something between my legs. Ha!

After two year and a few mishaps I have switched to riding roads. The reality is an XL has the power and speed to better co-exist with cars on 50kmh roads than with pedestrians (although I do travel on sidewalks if I absolutely have to in order to reach my destination.) Aside from being a bit self conscious (no one else here is riding wheels on roads yet that I know of) I feel much safer on roads than I ever did on sidewalks, where things (people, cars) are always popping out of blind corners unexpectedly. 

Edited by winterwheel
  • Like 2

On 11/1/2019 at 10:46 PM, Grandpa 1947 said:

I am 71 years old. I bought my first EUC, King Song 18XL, four months ago. The two week learning process was difficult. I have now ridden over 1,600 miles. My mileage has slowed because the police have stopped me three times for riding on bicycle/hiking paths. They consider me a motorized vehicle. All three told me I can ride on city streets. Yeah, sure. Anyway, I absolutely love riding this thing. I feel like I am on a magic carpet ride with the freedom it affords. Someone told me that at my age it is the most fun I'll have with something between my legs. Ha!

theres quite abit of truth in your posting !!!