Already an 2nd version of the Nikola ?!?

On 5/30/2019 at 8:54 AM, Nils said:

That's the case with current 84v Nikolas as well, the voltmeter is on the side. Looks good though, and the display is small enough that trying to read it while riding is probably not a good idea.. :P

@Nils   You own the 84 v nikola!  Are you happy with it.  Do you feel it’s sluggish.  Do you wish you’d waited or it is an awesome wheel you are happy to have. ?? I am irritated cause I was sooo excited but now I feel like Marty. I bought last years edition and am behind. Lol.   I am very interested in your opinion because you actually own the nikola 84v

31 minutes ago, Lucas Alexander Oliver said:

Definitely agreed.  Why they would want to bum out their loyal and excited buyers. I cannot figure out.  I agree. I will never get excited and buy the first edition again !

Gotway exhibits the typical asian oem blitzkrieg strategy as seen with no-name Android phones--there's no sense of having a cohesive product lineup or release cadence, nor any post-sale consumer relationship or responsibility. It's just a race for specs and releasing as quickly/often as possible to try to get your money as a one-off transaction, after which you're dead to them until the next time they have a new one to sell you (a cycle they're trying to repeat as quickly as possible).

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

To get these new 3" fatties zipping around, lots more power (low-end torque) is needed.

I suppose you are familiar with a torque wrench. Once a certain torque is applied, the ratchet slips and applies no added torque. Up to that point it has zero difference to a solid wrench that could deliver 50 times the torque until it breaks.

As we all know, surpassing the torque limit of an EUC is called an overlean.

Maybe this helps: A rider takes a 20 degree forward lean on the MCM5. Let’s say the wheel accelerates at 2 m/s^2, and uses 800 W of power. Now the same rider hops on a Monster and takes the same 20 degree forward lean. How fast does it accelerate, and how much power will it use?

they still require more power to match the same zippiness as a thin-tire Tesla.

The motor power tells only how much power can be put in the motor before it overheats at some point. It doesn’t even tell us how much power the control board is able to give out. A 1KW control board doesn’t give any more power to a 8KW motor than to a 1KW motor.

Maybe that’s what tricks peoples minds. On a car the engine is the source of power, but on an electric motor it’s what drives the motor, not the motor itself.

Bigger capacitors/MOSFETs, battery, motor wattage, firmware all play a factor in real world performance.

Zippyness is not performance. It is a behaviour. And as you wrote, a 500W S2 matches a 1500W MCM5 at slower speeds on smooth ground, despite the MCM5 having triple the power and double the battery. How much more power is required to beat the S2?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Lucas Alexander Oliver said:

I’m getting the sense that these other editions aren’t going to change anything but top end speed and range.

I'm speculating here:

The regular old Nikola has a new board with slightly smaller mosfet packages than the MSX (TO-247) before it. The 100V Nikola* reportedly has bigger TO-247s again. I'd be very surprised if Gotway produced two different boards instead of just using the nicer TO-247 board on all future Nikolas. So there is the possibility the newer 84V Nikolas have a stronger board (mostly theoretically, you'd have to look for fringe cases where it makes a difference, I guess).

*To prevent confusion, I'm not using "Nikola Plus":

• The old 84V Nikola as initially shown has the weaker board.
  • The 100V Nikola is called "Nikola Plus" and has a stronger board and a new look (all black).
  • Maybe the newer produced 84V Nikolas will have the stonger board, too? Then those would be "84V Nikola Plus".

Maybe the "old" Nikola with the white accents is a thing of the past because they decided to do another iteration right after release, and from now on there's the new look, all black "Nikola Plus" (TO-247 board) in 100V or 84V variants.

Or maybe they'll stay with their old 84V board for the 84V and only the 100V gets the stronger board. But Gotway tend to use parts between wheels as much as possible, so I'm wondering.

So in short, I'm hoping we get a 84V (or 100V) huge battery Nikola with the TO-247 board.

• Upvote 1

Quick side question: the original image that started this thread lists the voltage as 100.8v. Is this the same for the MSX 100v and Monster V2 100v? (i.e. are they both technically 100.8v as well?)

Edited by AtlasP

4 hours ago, Lucas Alexander Oliver said:

I’ll paint the white parts eventually...

How easy/plausible would it be to get a hold of the new black pieces from the Nikola Pro and to swap them in for the white parts of the original Nikola? If one could get them from Gotway and they would fit I would assume this would be preferable to painting?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, AtlasP said:

Quick side question: the original image that started this thread lists the voltage as 100.8v. Is this the same for the MSX 100v and Monster V2 100v? (i.e. are they both technically 100.8v as well?)

Yes, all the same voltage. 4.2V x 24 cells in series = 100.8V.

Other voltages used are 4.2V x 20 = 84V and 4.2V x 16 = 67.2V. There's no other voltages around (ok the Ninebot On Z has 4.2V * 14 = 58.8V), so nothing to be confused about. There can't be any subtle differences or so:)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, AtlasP said:

How easy/plausible would it be to get a hold of the new black pieces from the Nikola Pro and to swap them in for the white parts of the original Nikola? If one could get them from Gotway and they would fit I would assume this would be preferable to painting?

That’s a very interesting idea..  I like it.    I freaking love the carbon fiber look on the plus.  It’s the coolest designed euc to date imo..  so yeah if they make those panels replacements.  Bam. There we go.  Lol 

4 minutes ago, Mrd777 said:

The 100 volt version (1230 wh) is pretty sweet. Only rode it less then an hour; however my first impression is that it’s pick-up is fairly quick. 😉 

Let’s see !

https://youtu.be/NhigGYIjOvI

Totally concur! There's a new wheel in town folks :thumbup:

56 minutes ago, Mrd777 said:

The 100 volt version ( 1230 wh) is pretty sweet. Only rode it less then an hour, however my first impression is that it’s pick-up is fairly quick.😉

Lets see!

Awesome and good to know. I see you own an MCM5 also. So which one do you think is faster off the line. If I'm not mistaken, you are closer to my 200lb weight, correct?

Hmmm .. I actually weigh 165lbs. The wheel certainly reminds me of the mcm5, which at the moment seems to be my favorite wheel for most of my city rides., however the Nikola doesn’t stop as quickly, probably due to the weight momentum. The trolley handle is surprisingly useful and controllable. I’ve noticed the fan goes on at idle pretty easily, and is quite loud. . 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

he fan isn't that loud. At least on my wheel, I only hear it when the wheel is standing still and there's not much noise around me.

Marty is correct here, i don't want to give you the wrong impression. Im comparing it to my other wheels when I'm in a packed elevator in the morning off to work. The wheel starts to breath heavily. You can't hear it when riding of coarse.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Mrd777 said:

Hmmm .. I actually weigh 165lbs. The wheel certainly reminds me of the mcm5, which at the moment seems to be my favorite wheel for most of my city rides., however the Nikola doesn’t stop as quickly, probably due to the weight momentum. The trolley handle is surprisingly useful and controllable. I’ve noticed the fan goes on at idle pretty easily, and is quite loud. . 

A buck sixty five?? man, i need to lose weight. I actually LIKE the trolly handle design. Probably because when I use a trolly handle, I raise it ALL the way up (I'm 6'1" ft tall), never part way. I have the same design with the V10F which I like a lot. I just sometimes feel it would break with a bad fall as it is on the outside plus they put the charging port UNDER the handle, which is totally lame. The nikola handle design is integrated which I assume is better PLUS it allows the use of PADS on the side if need be. Thanks for the response.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, maltocs said:

A buck sixty five?? man, i need to lose weight. I actually LIKE the trolly handle design. Probably because when I use a trolly handle, I raise it ALL the way up (I'm 6'1" ft tall), never part way. I have the same design with the V10F which I like a lot. I just sometimes feel it would break with a bad fall as it is on the outside plus they put the charging port UNDER the handle, which is totally lame. The nikola handle design is integrated which I assume is better PLUS it allows the use of PADS on the side if need be. Thanks for the response.

One downside to Gotway's implementation is I don't think it's as tall as Inmotion's design. It's perfect for my 5'11" height.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, maltocs said:

plus they put the charging port UNDER the handle, which is totally lame

I still cannot get my head around THAT one

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1