Colestien

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The group that I usually ride with in Hong Kong has a good mix of ages.  Maybe its more to do with culture than cash.  I have notice when living and working in United Kingdom younger people tend to live recklessly from paycheck to paycheck but the mentalities of Hong Kongers and maybe just people from the East in general is to spend a little and save a little for a rainy day.

6 hours ago, MarkoMarjamaa said:

Or maybe just the young people are not in the forum ?

You're probably right. I have a feeling the average age on the facebook page is a bit younger than it is here.

Although so many are on both that the fb members average age isn't that young either.

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2015‎ ‎12‎:‎14‎:‎12‎, Colestien said:

I'm noticing a trend, and would like to ask. How many of us here are over 50?  I'm seeing a few. It brings up a few questions.  Why are we older (wiser?) people drawn to this? What are we looking for?  I'm sure like other things in life, we all have different reasons.  It would be great to hear what they are.

53 here. The reason I bought one is that everything I had wished for as a kid (with the exception of flying cars) is now available! And yes, as another poster said I make enough money to buy one without having to sacrifice paying my bills!

On 28 ноября 2015 г., 2:27:02, MarkoMarjamaa said:

Or maybe just the young people are not in the forum ?

The poll here will not accurately represent the age group using ewheels for several reasons, but to name a couple:

1. Older people will be more likely to post their age here, as an old timer riding a wheel is a more interesting fact than a younger one. in other words, this thread is , in a way, an invitation for older people to say: look, this is how old i am and i am still kicking. Young people will be less likely to post

2. Like MarkoMajmaa said, while older people enjoy reading and posting on the forum, younger people are riding their unicycles in the streets. I think this is quite an interesting phenomenon, that while the internet/ computer was always the doman of the young, certain, more established internet activities have shifted to become the prerogative of the older people. In many cases younger people these days lead a busier/ faster lifestyle and will be more likely to check their facebook/ instagram/ tweeter for a quck exchange rather and invest themselves into taking an age poll.

seemingly contrary to what i just wrote above, i do believe that most ewheel users right now are 25 to 40. This will change in time as wheels become cheaper/ more commonplace

I think there is an age bias at work with EUC's. Certainly in the UK so far I'm seeing younger people on hoverboards and older people on EUC's.

I think hoverboards could be the influence of certain "Rappers". Not sure exactly what it is that steers the older riders to the EUC's instead: the challenge? The fact they are more practical on pavements? The higher speed? It was all 3 for me :-)

I'm kind of hoping the young don't go for the Hoverboards because they are easier to ride, that would be  a disappointing statement!

On 11/30/2015, 1:11:01, Keith said:

I think there is an age bias at work with EUC's. Certainly in the UK so far I'm seeing younger people on hoverboards and older people on EUC's.

I think hoverboards could be the influence of certain "Rappers". Not sure exactly what it is that steers the older riders to the EUC's instead: the challenge? The fact they are more practical on pavements? The higher speed? It was all 3 for me :-)

I'm kind of hoping the young don't go for the Hoverboards because they are easier to ride, that would be  a disappointing statement!

For me it is the fact that the Uni will go up and down curbs, over obstacles, etc...  Distance is similar on these two, so that's not different.  I always got frustrated when I'd ride the hoverboard on a sidewalk and had to pick it up every 50 yards for a curb or wheelchair ramp.  The Uni is also more challenging, so that's a plus.  Then there is the fact that when you are going 10 MPH on the Hoverboard, it was easy to get thrown off sideways by a small rock or crack or something.  I know, it happened to me (Can you say Face-Plant).  On the Uni, only time I've come off is trying to climb too steep of a hill (Driveway).  And I was able to walk it out.  I don't ride the edge of the Warning Beeps, so high speed should be safe for me.  I do about 10 MPH on the Uni, and it's comfortable.

Originally, when I saw Uni's, I thought older riders was due to the price difference, but my Uni actually cost $100 LESS than my Hoverboard!  And, it's 100 times Funner!  I have not yet taken my Uni to a family outing where kids can try it.  I'm sure they will be way more excited about it than the hoverboard when they see it.  They all LOVED the hoverboard.

I've been following this thread since it's started with great interest.

I'm 18 :D. Am I the first person under 20?

Edit:

I don't really follow social media, and I've always been more concerned with practicality than getting whatever everyone else is getting (i.e. hoverboards). In my dorm alone at Uni there's at least 5 (out of 180 or so) students that have hoverboards, but out of the whole school (~6,000) I'm one of maybe 2 that has an EUC. 

Hoverboards are all over social media, and that's what the kids follow, so that's what they get. However, whenever people see my IPS Zero they like it even more ;) Thinking about reselling some TGs on campus.

17 minutes ago, csmyers said:

I've been following this thread since it's started with great interest.

I'm 18 :D. Am I the first person under 20?

Lol.  I think I'm first person in my town and I've got many wanting one.   I think parents will get sticker shock when trying to fill Santa wishes this year.  Unfortunately many may purchase unsafe cheaper models.

Adults can manage the unsafe models as we've seen here but kids may be injured(will be) with shutoffs.

I expect to see lots more after this xmas and more younger 

1 hour ago, Paulandjacquelyn said:

Lol.  I think I'm first person in my town and I've got many wanting one.   I think parents will get sticker shock when trying to fill Santa wishes this year.  Unfortunately many may purchase unsafe cheaper models.

Adults can manage the unsafe models as we've seen here but kids may be injured(will be) with shutoffs.

I expect to see lots more after this xmas and more younger 

Conversely, kids have a lot shorter to fall to the ground, have faster reflexes, and will push the limits of those cheaper EUCs less! A 200Wh battery on a 80 pound kid would easily last him 12 miles or more (way more than a hoverboard!)

Reading some previous comments in this thread reminds me that when I rode my EUC through the University enroute to the river bank, I did not have one question about my EUC from the students; however I had 2 middle aged men and similar aged women show plenty of interest!! [over the 7 week period I had the EUC functional!]

As asked above, why so little interest by the young?

7 minutes ago, AlanR said:

Reading some previous comments in this thread reminds me that when I rode my EUC through the University enroute to the river bank, I did not have one question about my EUC from the students; however I had 2 middle aged men and similar aged women show plenty of interest!! [over the 7 week period I had the EUC functional!]

As asked above, why so little interest by the young?

Maybe they see it as a mobility device.:D

My mom is 78.  When my brother was down last, he rode my Hoverboard around her community of Seniors.  Some of the men asked him about it and he told them it was my Mom's new Mobility Device.  He said their eyes got real big and they smiled real big.  My mom is a Widow and very cute for 78 years old.  I'm sure all the guys there were pretty interested.  She was proposed to 3 days after my dad passed.

She DID ride it holding on to my brothers.  In all honesty, I believe she could ride it by herself in another 20 mins (She can still ride a bike), but I don't want to be responsible for her falling...

Archived