Colestien

I'm noticing a trend, and would like to ask. How many of us here are over 50?  I'm seeing a few. It brings up a few questions.  Why are we older (wiser?) people drawn to this? What are we looking for?  I'm sure like other things in life, we all have different reasons.  It would be great to hear what they are.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am around 40, and as i was riding the other day, a 20 year old stopped and started asking questions about the wheel. He then asked me if i ride it because old people want to feel young again. I tried to say that i am just enjoying it but he knew better than that. He insisted this is the reason that we( old people:) want to do something like that. Eventually i stopped coming up with other reasons why and had to accept his logic:)

I'm with @Gimlet here, probably because of the disposable income. Younger people probably don't have that much "funny money" to throw around into "toys" like EUCs ;) I keep a fairly tight budget, with a mortgage to pay etc., and being a bit of a Scrooge McDuck when it comes to spending, I rarely use this much money on anything for pure pleasure. No regrets though (at least yet :P)...

I think someone made a poll in Facebook about the age of the group users earlier, and the results were something like the biggest group was 30-49 years old, followed by 50+ (or was it 40-59 followed by 60+?)? Maybe we should put a poll up here too (I think the answers are anonymous to anyone viewing the results, should someone not want others to know their age). I'm 32 myself.

Have to go with Gimlet here. It's not an exciting answer but at the end of the day it's definitely the money.

EUCs I've ridden in the past - there's no pattern whatsoever as to who stops and asks you about them - everyone loves them.

The only difference is seeing that excitement drop off a little in anyone under 30 when you tell them the price. (For the record, I'm 31).

Usually even if they DO have that sort of disposable money.....it's reserved for that next fancy phone instead.

Whereas the older you get the less you're going to care about having the latest iPhone/android. God I've sat in trains behind little kids excitedly talking about new bloody phones......it's obviously the one luxury their parents are willing to luxuriate on their children no matter the cost ?

Usually even if they DO have that sort of disposable money.....it's reserved for that next fancy phone instead.

Whereas the older you get the less you're going to care about having the latest iPhone/android.

Never owned a smart phone, and I work in a mobile multiplayer gaming company :D  I did buy my first ever tablet last christmas. I could have gotten whatever phone I wanted when I started there, but stood with my trusty, now 8-year old noname Chinese-phone. I can text & make calls with it, that's pretty much it. The battery still lasts about 2 weeks between charges.

As I've started to make some games now too (on top of my usual lobby/game server-work), I now have a couple of smart phones at home (iPhone 5S and Nokia Lumia 1520 for WP8-testing), but all I've done with them outside work is taking pictures, since I destroyed my pocket camera during my practice with the 14" generic  ;) 

Edit: Added a poll about ages here:  http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/1388-age-poll/

Who says 'Age is just a number'?  Old people, that's who!  ;)

I'm fast approaching a 'half century' but feel like I'm going backward since the 'mid forties' and am determined to hit the '50' mark looking, and feeling more like '40' instead.  If that's while riding along on a EUC with a stupid grin on my face then I'm already there :D

Definitely got something to do with 'disposable income' - I never had any while I was married and had younger kids but now they've all gone their own way and my Ex (thankfully!) kicked me out several years ago I've got loads.  Just the one EUC currently but who knows, I may just have a need for a 'spare'?

I keep telling people that in five years EVERYBODY will be riding around on these things, I'm just getting a 'head start' on them :P

I'm slightly SEGUING here (see what I did there?? ??) but the only real reason the Segway was a commercial failure was the price.

Yes you can argue they were big and clunky and a bit dorky......but the technology was fantastic and it would've been extremely popular eventually.

Unfortunately £6000 was pricing themselves out of the mainstream for good.

If top-tier eucs like the Ninebot, solowheel and King Song can get down to say, smartphone prices......these things will rocket.

I'm actually young. (Sorry! :D ) 24 here. I was informed of the existence of EUCs after partaking in a Segway tour, and after a few months of thinking on it decided that life is too short not to spend it on ridiculous things that look like to be fun. So I bought an Airwheel Q3. I'll begin working sometime next year (hopefully even January), and with my income the first thing I plan on buying is the KS 16" wheel, depending on specs. Time to upgrade! I haven't regretted my purchase once so far, although 900€ is quite a bit of money... but I think that says it all about my enjoyment of riding EUCs, right?

At 55 I do think that disposable income is the primary answer, but there is a secondary one as well.  At 55 I did not feel that i could afford to postpone getting into this hobby.  How many riding years do I have left?  It felt like now or never.  So it was now.  I may be able to ride for 15 more years, but maybe not.   But I could not afford to wait and see if I could learn how to ride when I'm 65.   

I am almost 60, I can hardly walk. The electronic unicycle gives me the golden gift of praticipating in the lifely communal antics of a city like Berlin. On top of that it helps keeping in shape. The balancing, stepping on and off and arguing with the police demand intuitive, rapid and complex brain activities. 

@Colestien, I am 47. I tried the EUC because I was restless, needed distraction, and it looked like fun. There is a little midlife crisis in that mix, but more than that I think is a long term short attention span and interest in novelty. I agree about the disposable income component, but there will be a wave of used wheels soon on ebay and craigslist.

For me a huge component of my enjoyment of my entry level TG T3 is that my teen son and I take turns riding and cheering each other on.

My brother in Singapore says that they are commonplace on the streets. I am in the USA; maybe the 50 yr old age trend is geography based.

Well, I'm feeling old, slept in. So I'm stiff.  I've got work to do so I'm hoping that Will loosen me up.   At 54 I feel like 90 in the morning.  Enough whining... going to work.

Ok afternoon went well.  You know how it is..... getting things done makes other things you doing seem better.

@Villac know what you mean. My son and I are taking turns.  It was nice when I had gone a little farther than him when we had finished for the night.  Of course he most likely let me.

Son passed me looooong ago. He just looks more comfortable and natural rolling, I'm doing well but it shows I'm "trying". It gives me a good laugh! The morning aches and pains are familiar friends: all the moving parts sounding off. It is actually reassuring to feel them easing up with more motion: stuff still works. Another story: my wife is a bit younger and has us marathon training! 

Have fun! Smile! Laugh! People will wonder what your secret is, or if you are crazy!

I'm over 60. I ride more than 30km each day by average for 3 months since I got this Gotway MSuper MS. I like the feel where ever I can go and stop.

My daughter and her husband don't like EUCs, otherwise I can buy one for each of them.

Archived