first wreck, whew its over

eucinsea

Not your fault (besides choosing the V8) though! This isn't a normal crash where the rider did something wrong. Just one more argument against the V8/Glide 3. Too many reports of this* to recommend it to new riders who may be heavier or believe it is good for 30kph because the specs say so.

Now you can thank the V8 for this learning experience and get a (much) better wheel:D

*The bucking is theorized to be a combination of the small battery under stress hitting its limits and the wheel firmware reacting badly to that. There were a few cases of this. For example:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Not your fault (besides choosing the V8) though! This isn't a normal crash where the rider did something wrong. Just one more argument against the V8/Glide 3. Too many reports of this* to recommend it to new riders who may be heavier or believe it is good for 30kph because the specs say so.

Oh nice, thank you for the link and info @meepmeepmayer I will read up more on that. I did ask a couple of other local V8 riders and they have had something similar.

7 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Now you can thank the V8 for this learning experience and get a (much) better wheel:D

Agree with that, I am eyeing the KingSong 16X but might wait until a couple of batches come out from manufacture to get out the bugs. I am usually an early adopter in new tech but this seems like something I should wait on. :D

5 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Sounds like this wasn't speed (sideways) wobble though, but a wheel error (front/back wobble when the balancing goes crazy).

Agree I do not think I was going more than 15 Mph but wasn't looking at my watch at the time. Also the bucking back and forth which I had not experiences appears to be the front/back wobble.

Edited by prasket

Guest PogArt Artur
31 minutes ago, prasket said:

last night did a nice long ride around Seattle and everything seemed to be OK with the V8.

It's good to know you're ok :)

22 minutes ago, prasket said:

I did ask a couple of other local V8 riders and they have had something similar.

:efef895ddd: Really? So widespread?

I really can't recommend the V8/Glide 3 to anyone if that's the case!

21 minutes ago, prasket said:

Also the bucking back and forth which I had not experiences appears to be the front/back wobble.

I don't think you can confuse the two. This is 100% on the wheel.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I can see strong caveats for riders over a certain weight and/or height and/or shoe size, but not blanket dismissal of the V8. If someone is under ~180 pounds, under ~6', under US men's size 10 or 11, and doesn't have unrealistic expectations about perf/accel/etc or constantly "ride the beep", the V8 is a great first wheel--especially just using it as a casual commuter in urban environments hovering around ~15-16 mph (versus those who are interested in riding as an 'extreme sport').

InMotion has one of the better safety records and the V8 is one of the most popular wheels out there for good reason--for $900 it's much better than most of the cheaper junk a lot of people would be buying instead if the V8 didn't exist. (Because face it, most brand new riders are not going to buy $1350+ wheels right off the bat.) Of course it's not going to compete with wheels that are 50-100+% more expensive (sorta inherent in the comparison), but that doesn't make it junk.

Edited by AtlasP
  • Upvote 1

You're right, for a <75kg rider and <25kph speed, I guess the V8 is as good as any wheel. And it still has a unique form factor that is great for many people.

My problem is, it's seen as wheel for everyone. A default choice if you don't want to spend so much. So many new people consider it along with the more modern alternatives, and then we end up with 90+ kg people buying it because it still costs nearly $1000 and the paper specs look right (speed, incline) and it has a lot of recommendations from years ago when it was a top-end wheel (also because IM is the only manufacturer doing any marketing). And then we end up with a lot of cases like this:(

On 5/29/2019 at 5:56 PM, prasket said:

Not sure what the heck happened but at least the first crash is out of the way. :D

I suspect that you run into tiltback? You can find out by setting your max speed in the app to a very small value, say, 5mph, and explore riding (first more and then less) gently into the max speed induced tiltback.

Edited by Mono
  • Upvote 1

I ride the V8 to its limits and reach the warning buzzer a lot, speed up and slow down hard...100’s of miles and never had an oscillation. The V8 actually has a very safe track record, but that probably declines quite a bit as the rider’s weight increases. I only weigh 140lbs.

Glad to hear you are ok!

• Upvote 2

I think the V8 might be a fine wheel for its time, but development has move on. In the beginning I were looking for a light wheel to make easier to lift. On yes I can confirm it does seem able to take a pretty hard tumble and survive that. 

Now low weight isn't that important to me anymore, acturlly I prefer a heavier wheel now. Main reason weight makes the wheel more stable. :smartass:

Comparing my V8 to my KS18L it just seems like a toy now, and it had this dipping in to turns with pedals. I it very had to describe, but my KS18L do not do the same. 

As I used my KS18L more and more, it became obvious to me I propperly would never ride it is the long run, so I sold it. I do not regret doing that, but I found having a second wheel have its benafits, so I persvaded myself to grab a KS16X asap :P

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Unventor said:

I think the V8 might be a fine wheel for its time, but development has move on.

That is what I would have hoped, but I don't know any newer wheel that could compete with the >2 years old V8 in the category of light (up to ~15kg) 16" wheels. I don't even see any development on the horizon. Maybe "move on" means that all manufacturers abandoned to develop 16" mixed commuter wheels all together?

Edited by Mono
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Mono said:

That is what I would have hoped, but I don't know any newer wheel that could compete with the >2 years old V8 in the category of light (up to ~15kg) 16" wheels. 

V8 very strong no doubt. But MCM5 is best small wheel on the planet. Sure it's 17kg but toasts the V8 in every possible way except price.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Mono said:

I suspect that you run into tiltback? You can find out by setting your max speed in the app to a very small value, say, 5mph, and explore riding (first more and then less) gently into the max speed induced tiltback.

I do not feel it was tiltback for this instance. I have hit that before, just last night actually when I looked behind me and some jackarse on a rental electric bike was on my butt so I tried to speed up quickly and felt the tiltback and was able to manage through it. :D

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Unventor said:

Comparing my V8 to my KS18L it just seems like a toy now

I got to try out another local riders KS18XL a couple of weeks ago. I felt the same getting back on my V8. :D I am looking at getting an KS16X later this summer if/when they are available. 

• Like 1

All have their different opinions about what they want from a wheel. @Mono I used to think light is good, nowadays not so much.

Like on my cruise today, on open fields I got a bit of a crosswind, a heavier wheel doesn't seem to be bothered about this as much. I also hit an unseen "speed bump" at 25-30 kmh, on a light wheel as the V8 I would like have lost it due to me being cought by surprise. And I had 2 of those with like 1-2 meters apart. 

I think my KS18L is simply just superb in the way it is balanced, fair range, high enough speed, good enough for off-road, nice ride comfort, rater OK trolley, heavy but not too heavy (you get used to it in a good way).  

If you take the KS18XL yes it goes further at expense of being heavier and add slightly to breaking distance. 

My rides are normally between 2-30ish km at 20-35ish kmh. Today's ride top speed was 35kmh average speed of 28kmh and about 28kmh. 

Only reason I didn't ride further today was due having groceries with me and I had not charged wheel before I left. I don’t like to ride the last 25% of the battery as it is like the red of fuel indicator I can car to me. 

6 minutes ago, prasket said:

I got to try out another local riders KS18XL a couple of weeks ago. I felt the same getting back on my V8. :D I am looking at getting an KS16X later this summer if/when they are available. 

As I said the V8 is a good wheel until you compare it to a KS18L or KS18XL. Then it is like having a candle in the dark vs 10000 lumien led lamp... 

• Upvote 1

On 5/31/2019 at 11:55 AM, who_the said:

But MCM5 is best small wheel on the planet. Sure it's 17kg but toasts the V8 in every possible way except price.

Every way except ~25% heavier, and wheel diameter (only 14" vs 16"), and price (literally 50% more expensive), and shell durability, and aesthetics, and the app situation, and...

But "moar bigger numberz" for power & top speed, amiright? /s

(For $1350 I don't know why anyone would get a 14" MCM5 over the 16" KS16S. I just can't imagine wanting to ride a 14" wheel over ~20 mph.)

Edited by AtlasP
  • Upvote 2

On 5/29/2019 at 11:56 AM, prasket said:

... started making the buzz sound, next thing I knew I was flying through the air. Hit the sidewalk pretty hard and then slide into a flower bed. The V8 also went tumbling end over end about 10 feet.

What kind of buzz sound?  Did it emanate from the speakers, or was it a mechanical noise?

As you were finding your way around the movers, in the moments before the buzz sound and parting-of-ways, did you pass over cobblestones or other expanse of uneven terrain?

• Upvote 2