WARNING!!! Don't ride with v1.2.6 Firmware

SirGeraint

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there's a big ask to join button when you're logged in with a Gmail account. I cant invite them, I got let in by the owner of the community.. But i think we got the owner right here himself already... ohai @OliverH ^_^

Also, if you want these @ thingies to work most of the time (;)), you gotta wait until the lookup finishes and shows you the desired name. When the text turns blue, it should work. Aaand sometimes the @ just wont search... then start a new line, @ search and move the finished link back up into the text... HTH

there's a big ask to join button when you're logged in with a Gmail account. I cant invite them, I got let in by the owner of the community.. But i think we got the owner right here himself already... ohai @OliverH ^_^

Also, if you want these @ thingies to work most of the time (;)), you gotta wait until the lookup finishes and shows you the desired name. When the text turns blue, it should work. Aaand sometimes the @ just wont search... then start a new line, @ search and move the finished link back up into the text... HTH

As you mentioned me I like to say some words.

• ewheels.org is an association founded in 2014 in Berlin/ Germany. I'm one of the founding members. Target is to support the EUs/ ewheels to be street legal, support dealers (listed on a map,..), manufacturers, as well as customers (ewheels catalog (will be enhanced much more), information, local events/ meet ups). Focus are the german speaking countries and also other european countries with the help of active members in this countries.
  • I'm not the owner of ewheels.or or the G+ communities. I'm working in a strong relationship with Rouven Volk (owner/ creator, mastermind). We just met over here in Switzerland for some days to set up the next steps and did also some nice off road tours. I'm only one of the moderators over there. I can invite other people just drop me a pn, but I'm not here to route users to an other place!
  • We update periodically the webpage at ewheels.org. There will be coming some more infos, currently released in the G+ communities. I'm currently on a petition for germany (establish the subcategory needed to get the EUs street legal) and also other nice bits and pieces. Need some time to write up the latest news on the weekend.
  • I contribute sometimes articles and work in the background on visions/ strategies, sort things out, try to show the complexity in diagrams that all people understand what's going on in the german speaking countries. Also all need to understand why we push a specific direction based on existing laws (currently in Germany).
  • The current Google plus community was build at a time as no other forum exists.
  • I was in contact with @John Eucist today to join forces and to establish a german speaking forum over here.
  • I've no problem working as a moderator/ help in general but I don't like to maintain (updates, backup, restores,..) a forum. John is doing this in a proper way and drives as well a very good newspage on facebook.
  • We would like to concentrate on pushing regulation stuff, gov talks, programs to push the quality/ maturity of EUs/ eWheels, consult manufacturers explaining them the market situation over here/ support them in a cowork/ handover to distributors and our consultancy and establish the base that manufacturers can deliver products in configurations fitting to the specific market.

I followed the forum here for quite some time now and I like a lot articles on reverse engineering, modifications, product tests and also others contributing the situations on street legal in other countries (need to become more structure/ overview).  It made a big movement from the first posts in the beginning.

@Jag_Rip See you on a ride in Switzerland? We sometimes meet in the Aarau area for nice off road tours through the forest. It's about an hour from you but a really nice place for draining batteries and pushing motors to thresholds at the inclines ;)

I upgrade to 1.2.7 last week and for the moment no problem. The first time, check the driving mode in case itsn't the one you had.
It is said to be faster than the previous version but I have a screen recording in which I reach 25 km / h with firmware 1.2.2 with my N20 model.

Did anyone face crashes/cutoffs etc with their firmware V1.2.1 ? 

I know this is not the latest, but that's what my 9bot shipped with.

I'm just checking if anyone had face plants when they were in V1.2.1.

I don't plan on upgrading to the latest when there were no adverse issues with older V 1. 2.1.

I've been using 1.2.2 for the past 300+ miles and I pretty much trust that version, I don't really have a need to update. However, my friend @vido upgraded to 1.2.7 and when we ride together he never had any issues. So from what we can tell, 1.2.7 seems to be fine. However since I don't see anything that I really need on 1.2.7, I would probably recommend not to upgrade.

I've been using 1.2.2 for the past 300+ miles and I pretty much trust that version, I don't really have a need to update.However, my friend (vido - on the forums) upgraded to 1.2.7 and when we ride together he never had any issues. So from what we can tell, 1.2.7 seems to be fine. However since I don't see anything that I really need on 1.2.7, I would probably recommend not to upgrade.

I finally did 1.2.7 yesterday no difference in feel or anything will report if I have any problems 

EDIT: about 45 kms on it since update

I haven't had any problems either on 1.2.7. I've got the E+ (N20). I haven't heard of anybody having issues with this version. I think mine was even better to ride with this version, it feels stronger when running over small obstacles, or curbs and so on. I think it should be pretty safe to run on this version, but I think it is important to remember that it can fail, no matter what firmware version...

Hoping a quick recovery to you SirG

- Im in Melbourne Aust and have just ordered my 9BO e+ and must say am a little shocked that an Update meant to make our riding easier and more enjoyable can actually injury us.

- im sure that with any personal movement device such as a skateboard, in line skates etc there is always an unwritten risk that we all take on, but to be travelling at a safe speed on a flat track to have that happen was a shock.

- i'm hoping my unit, due in late November will be OK and with the updated version. As others have mentioned, i think if mine is working well I might just leave the updates unless one is required to fix an issue within the bot.

Please keep us all informed as to any response you get to the faulty update from Ninebot as I'm sure you all have our attention.

all the best,

Phil

Melbourne Aust

• 2 weeks later...

I just upgraded to the new firmware and my ninebot one E cut out on me also... Bad fall.... cut my hands open and my wrist is twice the size.  I think it is sprained.  The Ninebot One won't turn back on now.  Not sure what this firmware did but this is my first fall ever on the ninebot and came the day after I upgraded.  Not sure what I can do.  The unit won't turn on at all now.  I pulled the battery and did a voltage check.  It is reading only 37.6 volts.  It won't charge.  When I plug the charger in it just stays green instead of turning red.  Bought it off of ebay in May.  I don't even know how to go about the warranty procedure.  The website is telling me that third party sells are not covered by warranty..... Could this be the end of my Ninebot?

@River_rider Do you know exactly which version of the new firmware gave you this problem?  That is most important.  Version 1.2.6 gave everyone who tried it problems.  Version 1.2.7 has not seemed to cause any problems.  And I'm sorry for your injury!

I doubt that version 1.2.6 is even available anymore.  Luckily it is probably pushed under a rock somewhere. 

Without telling us which version gave you the problem, you are not helping us very much.  Can you figure it out? 

Thanks,

dpong

Not sure which version I have but I'm sure it is the newest one.  Can't find out since the Ninebot One won't turn on anymore to connect with the blutooth.   Like I said however.... I owned it since May and never once have had it turn off on me.  I must say I was traveling at top speed on the wheel when it happened.  Just shut off on me.  I never took such a hard fall in my life as I took yesterday.  Hopefully I can get the Ninebot up and running again.  I think it is in the battery.  I took the battery out of a old wheel (Moobao) and since it is the same voltage I plugged it in the Ninebot.  It started up.  My battery on the Ninebot was fully charged at the time of the wreck.  Not sure if the crash ruined the battery or the firmware update or what it was but I will need a new battery at the least.  I won't ride with the offbrand battery.  I just plugged it in to see if it would start the wheel and it did so I know my board is ok.  If I bought from an authorized dealer it would be under warranty.  I bought from a ebay dealer and can't seem to get any satisfaction.  Could end up being a $300+ mistake for saving $50 in buying the unit...... ugghhhh.....

One other thing,.... to all the riders out there..... I learned a lesson..... my crash was a bad one.... can't use my left hand as the wrist is swollen twice it's size and black n blue.  Right hand is all cut up.  Knee is swollen this morning,... for some reason big toe is black and blue on left foot and I have a big contusion on my head when I hit the concrete.  I've never fallen off of my Ninebot until yesterday.  When it gave out on me I was going top speed and that is faster than I can run.  Basically I could not keep up when my feet came off the wheel.  I'm lucky I did not knock myself out.  I think from now on I will be wearing protective gear,.... knee pads, wrist guards and a biking helmet.  As much fun as it is to go fast, and I really love it, I think I'll slow down to give me more of a chance to catch myself if it happens again..... at least until I forget how much I am hurting right now.... LOL  Plus, I'm 56 yrs old.... I don't bounce back like the rest of you guys!!!!!!   Boy, I was thinking the Ninebot One was bullet proof and now it will always be in the back of my head that this can happen again.... why isn't anything simple? :unsure:

11 hours ago, dpong said:

Without telling us which version gave you the problem, you are not helping us very much.  Can you figure it out?

I am guessing it is 1.2.7.  I just upgraded the firmware on November 02.  From reading the other posts it sounds like ver. 1.2.6 is no longer available.  I was running 1.2.2.  I just happened to check for an update on the app and saw there was an upgrade available so I got it.  It could very well be that something happened to the battery but I can't say for sure.  I hope the update didn't fry the circuit board built into the battery.  I know I was really demanding power from it when I crashed..... sorry I could not be of anymore help than that..... I'll look and see what the firmware is when I get the new battery.  Could take awhile... my budget can't afford it this month... :(

@dpong @River_rider

I won't be surprised if it is 1.2.7, I wrote a detailed post about my recent experience with my Ninebot and it turning off after I was going down some steps and let it hit the ground after me jumping off of it. This happened one day after I updated to 1.2.7. Before that I had 1.2.2 and it never shut off even after the bot hitting the ground. It could be a coincidence but I doubt it.. also my bot feels different now when I ride, like the wheel is looser/smoother while it's rotating. It hasn't shut off again but it's something to think about. Once my new King Song (Gen 3 I suppose) comes in the mail in the next few weeks, I'll try to send the Ninebot back to my local dealer for repair/inspection. 

Normally I like being able to get firmware updates on devices, but I feel for devices in motion such as these where there is a life/death risk involved, it is better to not be able to receive firmware updates. It's just way too risky. If they are going to allow firmware updates, then they should at least allow the person to download a previous version of the firmware and allow them to flash it back on their device so that they potentially can get back to a working/predictable state.

http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/1673-ninebot-one-e-appeared-dead-after-i-was-going-down-multiple-stairs-and-it-fell/

17 hours ago, River_rider said:

I just upgraded to the new firmware and my ninebot one E cut out on me also... Bad fall.... cut my hands open and my wrist is twice the size.  I think it is sprained.  The Ninebot One won't turn back on now.  Not sure what this firmware did but this is my first fall ever on the ninebot and came the day after I upgraded.  Not sure what I can do.  The unit won't turn on at all now.  I pulled the battery and did a voltage check.  It is reading only 37.6 volts.  It won't charge.  When I plug the charger in it just stays green instead of turning red.  Bought it off of ebay in May.  I don't even know how to go about the warranty procedure.  The website is telling me that third party sells are not covered by warranty..... Could this be the end of my Ninebot?

37.6V for 15S pack is too low, 37.6V / 15 = 2,5066... V per cell. 2.5V per cell is said to be the critical voltage for the cell, below which permanent damage will start to occur (usually in the form of permanently diminished capacity). Sounds like either one or more cells could have died completely or there's something really badly wrong with the BMS. If you can and know how to (and feel safe to do so), you could try measuring the voltages of the cells to see if the cells themselves are the cause, or if the BMS is the culprit. If it doesn't seem to charge, don't try to "force" it, bad things can happen (you don't want something like this to happen: http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/1675-exploding-hoverboard-batteries/ ).

A battery pack where the cells have been below 1.5V for over a week is said to be downright dangerous to charge (apparently some metals start to form deposits inside the cell, causing internal short circuits which can cause the cell to overheat during charging and either vent with flame or explode). Try to get it replaced by warranty, but even if that's not possible, dispose of it properly (ie. take it to some recycle center or somewhere where used up lithium cells/batteries are handled, don't just toss it in the trash).

I'm sorry for your fall, hope you recover fast and can get back wheeling. I definitely suggest using at least some protective gear (helmet, wrist guards), as things like this could happen even if the wheel otherwise works just fine (rider mistake), or simply because some $0.01 component fails due to old age/wearing/heat/manufacturing defect/etc. You never know.

On 4.11.2015 20.31.17, esaj said:

37.6V for 15S pack is too low, 37.6V / 15 = 2,5066... V per cell. 2.5V per cell is said to be the critical voltage for the cell, below which permanent damage will start to occur (usually in the form of permanently diminished capacity). Sounds like either one or more cells could have died completely or there's something really badly wrong with the BMS. If you can and know how to (and feel safe to do so), you could try measuring the voltages of the cells to see if the cells themselves are the cause, or if the BMS is the culprit. If it doesn't seem to charge, don't try to "force" it, bad things can happen

Yes, I think a couple of cells shorted in my pack.  My thinking for this is after I removed it from the bot it stayed warm to the touch 10 hours later.  Worried about a fire I set it outside overnight on my cement driveway.  It never got hot but it shouldn't have stayed warm.  This made me believe that one or more cells went bad.  I am a fanatic for keeping batteries in their proper state.  I never ride the bot to less than 10% charge and always kept the battery charged to 100% right before I would ride it.  This winter I would have kept a 55% maintenance charge in it for storage.  I am only hoping I can get the battery replaced under warranty, but I am not holding out too much hope.  That's the chance you take with third party sellers.  I called a US based dealer/repair shop and they told me that I can use the 320 WH battery as a replacement for my model E.  I have read in other blogs that I cannot do this because the battery is specific to the Ninebot One E+.  He insists this is not the case and the Ninebot One E will run just fine using the E+ battery.  I'd love the extra capacity this battery will give me but I am reluctant to buy it and maybe ruin my wheel and/or the battery pack.  Anyone else here put a 320 WH battery pack in a E model?  The company that is telling me this is Ninebot US which is a authorized distributor, warranty and repair service center here in the United States. 

On 4.11.2015 19.50.24, fearedbliss said:

@dpong @River_rider

I won't be surprised if it is 1.2.7, I wrote a detailed post about my recent experience with my Ninebot and it turning off after I was going down some steps and let it hit the ground after me jumping off of it. This happened one day after I updated to 1.2.7. Before that I had 1.2.2 and it never shut off even after the bot hitting the ground. It could be a coincidence but I doubt it.. also my bot feels different now when I ride, like the wheel is looser/smoother while it's rotating. It hasn't shut off again but it's something to think about.

I noticed the same thing when I updated from 1.2.2 to the latest firmware.... my wheel just didn't feel right when riding it.... it was as you put it "looser" in the feel.  I used the riding mode in the app and firmed up the comfort level but it still wasn't as good of a feel as it was riding with the older firmware.  I wish I could go back to 1.2.2 but there is no way to do this once you upgrade the firmware... your stuck with it.  I'm wondering if the firmware is designed mostly with the Ninebot One E+ in mind and not the older model E like I have.  I wish I would have taken the approach "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" mentality.  Sometimes newer isn't always better and this is the case with the newer firmware for the bot.

On 4.11.2015 17.32.41, Planetpapi said:

@River_Rider, Sorry about the fall. Hope you recover soon. I'm in 50s too, can't afford to go fast for the thrills and fall. I'm sticking with V 1.2.1 for sure.

Thanks for the speedy recovery wishes.... I ended up going to Urgent Care and getting x-rays on my hand as I cannot use it at all and it is swollen so much that I can't see my knuckles.  The x-rays revealed no broken bones but the doctor told me I had a very severely sprained wrist.  Can't wait for the swelling to go down.. I've been back on my other wheel I have even though I know I should probably wait until the wrist is better.  I can't afford to take another fall right now, but these bots are so damn addicting!  I've never had this much fun in a long time as I do riding it!  I am currently on my Airwheel Q3 until I get a replacement battery for the Ninebot.  The Q3 is a good solid wheel but just not as much fun as the Ninebot One.  Thanks again for the wishes and keep the rubber side down!

• esaj unpinned and unfeatured this topic

Archived