WARNING!!! Don't ride with v1.2.6 Firmware

SirGeraint

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seem a previous firmware upgrade version V1.1.6 also gave problems.

Posted at eWheels Community in Google Plus during March of this year:

"Be careful with Ninebot Firmware 1.1.6 and weight of 90+ kg. As reported in the past the firmware 1.1.6 of the amazing Ninebot one you can have difficulties with a behaviour we call rodeo effect. Getting this you must immediately take control or you will crash."

Ninebot seem to like the number six. Hope nothing bad happens when firmware upgrade 1.3.6 gets released.

Friday afternoon, when I returned home with my wheel, a man stop me to talk about the 9B1. During the discussion, my wheel stopped. I thank you this Fu***ing guy to stop me. 20s later, and I would have fallen on the street..
Amazing...

you must have had some karma debt in your favor!

I guess it should be safe to upgrade to v 1.2.7 now, or has anybody had any issues? I know - check riders settings after is a good idea. 

Well, did the update. Hope it works as it should. :) It did not change any of the settings in my app, "Riding model" is still the same (3). By the way - I have tried adding my NB1+  as a trusted device on my phone, so that I do not have to unlock my phone if I need it while driving - but it is not saved. Don't know why. It works fine for every other bluetooth devices I have tried, but it seems like my phone does not "save" my Ninebot. As long as I don't exit the app, it works - but once turned off - and then on again, my phone asks again if I want to add it as a trusted device. I have a LG G4 by the way. 

For any newbies, really, don't update to the latest release on the very day that it is released.  Don't be stupid!  Hang back and wait a bit.  Others will tell you whether it is dangerous or not.  To update before everyone else is just not to be too smart.  Hang back.  Listen for reports of how it went.  Don't be a crash test dummy beta tester for whatever company you have purchased from.  That is the take-away.  Hang back.  To not hang back, in future, is just plain dumb.  No offense to anyone, but it needs to be said for the newbies. 

Here is the latest feedback by our friend Oliver at eWheels group in Google plus:

"Again. Ninebot is an example for all companies in the eWheels area, but they showed at least three times not having a test plan/ simulation to prevent a failure in the field (bonanza, tilt forward!! while driving straight forward to kick of the driver and now with 1.2.6 to power off the device).
Three times failing is a clear sign. I personally wait at least 2 weeks to update my wife's Ninebot  to 1.2.7 or later.
The engine has not enough power for riders in spec (120 kg, plane road/ inclines) with 20 km/h (Ninebot E) or 22 km/h with Ninenbot E+. Now they release a firmware boosting again the max speed? Again, they failed to properly test it.
We did some test runs with different wheels over here in Switzerland and most of them showed "unexpected reactions".

I have not been able to get mine power on. I haven't wanted to open it in case it would void the warranty.  About the only thing I think I could do is disconnect the battery from the power from the Controller Board to see if that would reset something.  I don't know if there's another way to reset it.

The wreck may have damaged the battery since it behaves differently with the charger plugged in.

It does sound like V1.2.7 was released to fix the problem.  I hope it does. (But I don't have any way to update since I can't get it turned on.)

this happened to me also, only way to solve this is change the mainboard i'm afraid. to be 100% sure, if ur weel is hard to rotate (compared to before) disconnetct mainboard from the engine and the weel should release, then it is the mainboard.

at least it was for me after this update.

Slowmo can you tell us what the unexpected reactions were?

Thanks 

I don't want to go in detail without backed up by logs/ monitoring. But some EUs just block/ switch off when reaching a threshhold. My old IPS blocks if overheated after driving heavy inclines. That's not funny if it just stops with a brrrtt between your feets.

Not linear power output on an other wheel so inclines on stony ways are a real challenge.

When I drive my wifes Ninebot (first series) I still feel the bonanza effect. The motor is less powerfull than the IPS. I had two faults on the Ninebot depending on the installed firmware:

• tilt forward while driving straight ahead. Tilt forward only should happen while driving curves.
  • bonanza/ rodeo
  • (the problem of 1.2.6 which I hadn't installed)

Chris Hettenhausen from 1Radwerkstatt reported that 1.2.6 can kill the Mosfets/ Motordriver. I think the result is desribed above.

The Pros:
I've driven the KS 18 500W/ 680 Wh at a friend on the last tour. This 500 W (old GW style PCB) is not powerfull enough for heavy inclines and it overheats for sure with my weight (100+ kg) after downhill rides through a forrest-way, BUT it has routines to react when reaching this overheat threshhold. It tilts back in a heavy way that you slow down and step off. It doesn't switch off or simply block.

A GW MSuper only beeps if pushed to heavy uphill with heavy weight.

I received a mail from NB this morning with a Excel file to fill and they need some informations (serial number, more infos about the problem, video/photo etc). They ask me if I can spin the wheel freely or if it's more hard than before.

Wait & See...

I received a mail from NB this morning with a Excel file to fill and they need some informations (serial number, more infos about the problem, video/photo etc). They ask me if I can spin the wheel freely or if it's more hard than before.

Wait & See...

I Received that today too, but the distributor says he is going to sort it out.

I'd suggest you ask them to get some nice present for your troubles. Like a trolley handle or a set of Colored rings for your bot.. You suffered for being their unvoluntary beta tester, so you should be reimbursed.

Here it is:

https://plus.google.com/communities/115548556924102989114

Oliver will reply after some time and I am also very interested because my new E+ is on the way from Hong kong.

Hey SlowMo

I am actually very interested to read that. Same things happened to me with some serious crashes. But it seems that i need an invitation to the private eWheel Group in Google+. Anybody here who can invite me?

• esaj unpinned and unfeatured this topic

Archived