WARNING!!! Don't ride with v1.2.6 Firmware

SirGeraint

While this is a major incident, I wouldnt write them off just yet, first see how they handle this situation and whats going to happen after the next few updates.. THEN we see what's really going on. Errors can happen to the biggest and best, but its the behaviour on how to learn from them and make sure they never happen again that counts in the long run.
I still wish the injured a fast and full recovery and hope that Ninebot does a good move to compensate for their trouble. Even if its just a public apology.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What if v 1.2.8 or later releases suddenly creates another set of accidents? It will be like keeping your fingers crossed whenever there's a new update. It's a pity because Ninebot One is the coolest looking unicycle and I changed my mind on buying one.

Simple: don't update. If the current firmware you're using works without a hitch, and the new one doesn't bring anything you necessarily need, why update in the first place? It's not like these wheels need something like security updates, since they aren't connected to the internet.

Find a personal injury lawyer and sue your seller its there responsibility if they are going to sell these dangerous products and they must counter sue there supplier to put pressure on the manufacturer.

This is terrible and very negligent. If you have bought in the UK or USA you might have a decent case. But if you have bought direct from China I think the law won't help you (not sure) another reason to buy from a local seller I suppose. Definetly make this public otherwise other buyers are going to find out the hard way ? unless the sellers warn them which I doubt is happening. Stay safe people!

Simple: don't update. If the current firmware you're using works without a hitch, and the new one doesn't bring anything you necessarily need, why update in the first place? It's not like these wheels need something like security updates, since they aren't connected to the internet.

But there will always be the temptation to apply updates whenever it is available just for the sake of having the latest, which is hard to resist.

The risk is and has always been there, considering the stress everything's under all the time while riding (shocks, vibration, high temperatures and currents, thermal expansion/contraction). Any wheel can break down on you any time, software problems or not, any single critical component failing, be it a mosfet, wire connection or a simple resistor, can cause the wheel to cut out immediately. Not to scare anyone, but that's plain common sense. I still ride, and will continue to ride, with the full protective set I've used all the time (motorcycle helmet, knee/elbow pads, wrist guards).

while this makes me almost rethink it I still cruise around at top speed with my hands in my pockets. I'll be sure to post pictures when I bust myself up, until then I have complete trust in my bot still

That is a good application for Tegaderm, I used it on my road rash a while back. If you buy it locally it can be expensive, but Amazon has it relatively cheap in a bunch of different sizes.  I like it because it avoids weeping or bleeding that stains your shirt sleeves, prevents scarring, and isn't bulky like a bandage. It's basically just like a layer of skin.

If I didn't already know you worked in the tech field, this would be a dead give away because your experience shows ;) I agree with this 100%

For those who don't already realize this, updates are a double edged sword. Unless the update actually fixes something that is broken or has something that you really need and are willing to risk a broken unit for, it's just not worth it. By their very nature general firmware updates can a risk every time you perform one even if the update has no bugs, the process of flashing the firmware can render your machine a brick if something goes wrong with the process.

Not sure if this was worldwide news but a few years ago Mcafee released a signature update for their anti-virus software here in the US that actually flagged a windows component as malware, it quarantined the file (don't remember if it was a .dll specifically) but it rendered several machines inoperable. This was news because it affected a few hospitals IIRC and shut down their machines. :o

This is why I didn't update when I saw the notice for 1.2.6. Because my wheel is working fine. Hard to resist but the risk is always there, so you have to determine if it's worth it for you.

Find a personal injury lawyer and sue your seller its there responsibility if they are going to sell these dangerous products and they must counter sue there supplier to put pressure on the manufacturer.

This is terrible and very negligent. If you have bought in the UK or USA you might have a decent case. But if you have bought direct from China I think the law won't help you (not sure) another reason to buy from a local seller I suppose. Definetly make this public otherwise other buyers are going to find out the hard way unless the sellers warn them which I doubt is happening. Stay safe people! 

Sorry but I really think this is a bad idea. All it takes is one public case of someone suing a Unicycle vendor and you will find a few vendors closing up for business and refusing to sell in your country due to liability. I don't think this is something ANY hobbyist of the sport wants. 

We know that these things are inherently dangerous. I believe communications needs to be sent to the manufacturers (not the seller like you recommended) to push for safety features. But I don't feel suing them is the way to do it --  unless you want to see laws banning EUCs and no one wanting to take the risk to sell in your country.

It's tricky because we need to put pressure on the manufacturers to take responsibility and really test updates before releasing them. But at the same time we don't want to scare them off from selling in your country.

I know safety and probably more because fear of legal ramifications  is why Ninebot has been so hesitant to release a faster wheel... I hope this mishap doesn't give them second thoughts on the "faster" P model....

But there will always be the temptation to apply updates whenever it is available just for the sake of having the latest, which is hard to resist.

I agree for two reasons. The hope is that there will be some improvements and it said there were bug fixes.  They could have found a dangerous bug and fixed it.

while this makes me almost rethink it I still cruise around at top speed with my hands in my pockets. I'll be sure to post pictures when I bust myself up, until then I have complete trust in my bot still

I agree.  I had the utmost trust in mine at V1.2.2 and would again if I could downgrade to it. 

That is a good application for Tegaderm, I used it on my road rash a while back. If you buy it locally it can be expensive, but Amazon has it relatively cheap in a bunch of different sizes.  I like it because it avoids weeping or bleeding that stains your shirt sleeves, prevents scarring, and isn't bulky like a bandage. It's basically just like a layer of skin.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Maybe I will look into buying some.  Right now I am using silver sulfadiazine that the Doctor prescribed.  He said it's the best thing for burns and that my road rash is basically a second degree burn.

Manufactures and vendors need to communicate better and both test that updates before release as the legal responsibility falls on the vendor for the sale. I feel bad for both the vendor and the buyers in this scenario but without better comms its inevitable ?

I wonder if they rushed out the 1.2.6 -version just before the week long holiday in China... then, when the reports about problems started showing up, called their people back to work and quietly pushed out the 1.2.7 -version. I'd still be careful with the 1.2.7 -version at least for some time, if it's just some quick bug fixes on top of 1.2.6... or then they rolled out some earlier version with a new version-tag.

Either way, this shouldn't happen. And this isn't even the first time a firmware-update has caused trouble, earlier this year someone fell on their Ninebot after update, because it had changed something in the wheel behavior (tilt-back?) and the rider wasn't prepared for it.

Edit: Now I remember, actually I read that on some Amazon-sellers comments when I was looking to buy a Ninebot myself:

ByKorbin Petranickon March 31, 2015

Yeah so, just sprung my brother out of the ER with a snapped collarbone. Which will require surgery to fix. All because the update that was supposed to make it slow down when you lean forward/dip your feet (his description on painkillers) didn't work. It made it speed up, causing him to lose his balance and fall and break his collarbone. Great update folks.

Manufactures and vendors need to communicate better and both test that updates before release as the legal responsibility falls on the vendor for the sale. I feel bad for both the vendor and the buyers in this scenario but without better comms its inevitable

I totally agree we need to do something to push for safety, I don't necessarily believe the vendor should be help responsible.. Other than "Ninebot US" most vendors in the US are very small shops and wouldn't be able to weather any legal actions taken against them. One lawsuit could likely put them out of business. And I'm sure no one on these forums wants that.

I agree vendors should communicate these to the manufacturers and put pressure on them to be more cautious with these releases. And I'm sure the vendors here will. Let's hope Ninebot really listens...

I wonder if they rushed out the 1.2.6 -version just before the week long holiday in China... then, when the reports about problems started showing up, called their people back to work and quietly pushed out the 1.2.7 -version. I'd still be careful with the 1.2.7 -version at least for some time, if it's just some quick bug fixes on top of 1.2.6... or then they rolled out some earlier version with a new version-tag.

Either way, this shouldn't happen. And this isn't even the first time a firmware-update has caused trouble, earlier this year someone fell on their Ninebot after update, because it had changed something in the wheel behavior (tilt-back?) and the rider wasn't prepared for it. I think the report was in Facebook only, written by an older brother whose little brother was in the hospital because of this.

I was thinking the exact same thing. They rushed it out and probably re-labeled an older release as 1.2.7....

I didn't know this had already happened before with Ninebot... Do you know if there was any response from them? I would hope that one time is enough to scare them into being more careful before releasing a new update... If not, something really needs to be done for them to realize that they are potentially playing with peoples' lives when they release an update they don't properly vet for safety...

I know they have the money, so they should acquire the resources needed for a more thorough QA process. Limiting the speed is one thing, (I hope they don't lower the "P" before wide release because of this)  Firmware updates, especially ones that could seriously injury the rider is something that they need to treat more seriously.

BTW, I know most here already know this and probably feel the same way, this isn't addressing anyone here... just publicly venting towards Ninebot for what seems to be pretty careless behavior.

Hi 

I think vendor's should be made aware of this huge responsibility before they start selling them and the right insurances in place. I wonder how many vendors have the correct insurance to protect their businesses and their buyers?

I'm hoping the new update(s) fix my problem with my E+. The problem I have is when I stand there, with one foot on the peddle, the wheel vibrates. It only happens on ride settings 0-2. So I'm stuck with riding it on 3 to avoid that mess (It's been like this for about 1000 miles or so). It's Sunday, it's raining, probably not going to ride today, so I'll update the firmware to 1.2.7 next weekend. I'm curious if 1.2.8 will be out by then. hmm.

Hi 

I think vendor's should be made aware of this huge responsibility before they start selling them and the right insurances in place. I wonder how many vendors have the correct insurance to protect their businesses and their buyers?

I don't think suing the vendor will accomplish anything but lining your pockets with a couple of bucks and putting a vendor out of business, who is probably an enthusiast. I'm sure Ninebot, as a company, cares about their product and their customers. They came out with a fix the next day. That says something.

I have used version 1.2.7 for more than 1.5 hours. It seems OK. I would not say that it is just a rollback to a previous version. I felt that speed bumps and descents are easier with this version but it can be subjective (riding mode=3).

I'm hoping the new update(s) fix my problem with my E+. The problem I have is when I stand there, with one foot on the peddle, the wheel vibrates. It only happens on ride settings 0-2. So I'm stuck with riding it on 3 to avoid that mess (It's been like this for about 1000 miles or so). It's Sunday, it's raining, probably not going to ride today, so I'll update the firmware to 1.2.7 next weekend. I'm curious if 1.2.8 will be out by then. hmm.

out of curiosity, what version does it show for you right now as the newest when you check (not install)? Is it 1.2.7 or lower?

I have my ride mode on 1 right now with 1.2.7 and the vibration is almost gone. Only if you really hold it in the uprightest position, but as soon as you have your foot on the pedal it vanishes.

out of curiosity, what version does it show for you right now as the newest when you check (not install)? Is it 1.2.7 or lower?

I have my ride mode on 1 right now with 1.2.7 and the vibration is almost gone. Only if you really hold it in the uprightest position, but as soon as you have your foot on the pedal it vanishes.

Here's a screenshot of the firmware updates. 

My wheel vibrates on 0-2 with my foot on it. This is on v1.2.2. Maybe it's sign of wear & tear?

IMG_4253.PNG

thanks @SerpentineGX looks good, the 1.2.6 isnt shown for anyone that missed the specific day to update.

I tried to say: mine vibrated as well with 1.2.2 but not as much anymore with 1.2.7 so there's hope for your bot.

But I'd be very interested in your 10000 mile review, if youre continuing like that, you should crack it around next fall :lol: But on a serious note, any extraordinary wear n tear you experienced with your mileage so far?

thanks @SerpentineGX looks good, the 1.2.6 isnt shown for anyone that missed the specific day to update.

Now there is the proof that they really made a mess with version 1.2.6. So besides the very knowledgeable people in this forum and on  facebook. How many people worldwide do we think had done the update to 1.2.6 and suffered some form of injuries:? I hope not so many.

I tried to say: mine vibrated as well with 1.2.2 but not as much anymore with 1.2.7 so there's hope for your bot.

But I'd be very interested in your 10000 mile review, if youre continuing like that, you should crack it around next fall :lol: But on a serious note, any extraordinary wear n tear you experienced with your mileage so far?

10000 mile review. :lol: I do plan on giving a full review at around 3000 miles, the good , the bad, and the ugly. But to answer your question about the wear & tear, yeah, the outer shell and leg padding/covers have scratches along with the peddles. Other than the vibration issue it's fine.

• esaj unpinned and unfeatured this topic

Archived