WARNING!!! Don't ride with v1.2.6 Firmware

SirGeraint

More seriously, I think that there is a problem of maturity and respect of consumers with EVERY unicycle brands. I really wonder how long they will survive with so many accidents. ToniG123 and SirGeraint are suffering but will eventually recover (a French guy broke his elbow and one teeth with an other brand). But how many severe injuries elsewhere in the world within a few days? Trials are not far away.

Basic software quality problems but also a design without any fault tolerance (the burn of a single MOSFET is sufficient for an accident) make me seriously reconsider the use of an EUC in the city traffic. Finally, instead of being a revolutionary transportation tool, isn't it just a toy that should be only used on soft ground or with heavy protection? Haven't we been too enthusiastic?

Toni and SirGeraint, I wish you a rapid and complete recovery.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone got the change log from the new app? In Android version, it's under /res/raw/one_egversion.txt (The .apk itself is just a zip-file). Just wondering if it says anything like "hot fix for 1.2.6" or similar, ie. are they aware that 1.2.6 has problems.

It looks like they don't update the text file any more.  It still shows v1.1.6 (like I think you mentioned before).

Version:V1.1.6
Update Date:20150224
Details:
1.Optimized the algorithm of attitude sensor
2.Optimized the speed limiting function

Basic software quality problems but also a design without any fault tolerance (the burn of a single MOSFET is sufficient for an accident) make me seriously reconsider the use of an EUC in the city traffic. Finally, instead of being a revolutionary transportation tool, isn't it just a toy that should be only used on soft ground or with heavy protection? Haven't we been too enthusiastic?

The risk is and has always been there, considering the stress everything's under all the time while riding (shocks, vibration, high temperatures and currents, thermal expansion/contraction). Any wheel can break down on you any time, software problems or not, any single critical component failing, be it a mosfet, wire connection or a simple resistor, can cause the wheel to cut out immediately. Not to scare anyone, but that's plain common sense. I still ride, and will continue to ride, with the full protective set I've used all the time (motorcycle helmet, knee/elbow pads, wrist guards).

@SirGeraint : So you too, your wheel doesn't turn on ?

I tried to open the battery part and when I unplug it and plug it again, I had a BIG short circuit.. !! Very scary ! It made a lot of smoke. I tested the battery and there is 55.5V, so the battery is good, I guess. Maybe the motherboard...

@SirGeraint : So you too, your wheel doesn't turn on ?

I tried to open the battery part and when I unplug it and plug it again, I had a BIG short circuit.. !! Very scary ! It made a lot of smoke. I tested the battery and there is 55.5V, so the battery is good, I guess. Maybe the motherboard...

Wow!  So it sounds like the Firmware may have burned up the MOSFETs.  It kind of feel like it was vibrating... like it might have been firing the MOSFETs in the wrong order (i.e. bad timing).

Since some have requested the video of my crash I have extracted just the important part where I say that I updated to V1.2.6, then I say "it kind of feels different" and then wham. 

WARNING:  There's just a couple of expletives so if that offends you don't watch (or keep the sound down).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7oev598hxU2ODdiNVA5cTFOdnc/view

I updated mine to 1.2.6 and it starts pulling me back after only going at a nice steady pace. Not nearly at the max. Before I updated I felt like a speed racer. Could there be something else that's causing this?

Wow!  So it sounds like the Firmware may have burned up the MOSFETs.  It kind of feel like it was vibrating... like it might have been firing the MOSFETs in the wrong order (i.e. bad timing).

Since some have requested the video of my crash I have extracted just the important part where I say that I updated to V1.2.6, then I say "it kind of feels different" and then wham. 

WARNING:  There's just a couple of expletives so if that offends you don't watch (or keep the sound down).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7oev598hxU2ODdiNVA5cTFOdnc/view

Thanks for sharing, lucky you were recording - the thing that strikes me is the speed of the failure.  Everything seems fine for a good while and then wham, it's all over!  Good job you were wearing protection at the time or it could have been a whole lot worse. 

Really hope you're back on your wheel soon.

Thanks for the warning. I'm still on version 1.2.2. I was going to update this weekend as I don't like to impede my daily travels during my work week should something not be right. Glad I waited. Hopefully 1.2.7 gets everything sorted out. 

Ninebot needs be more careful on what they release. I can only imagine what the scenario would have been like in traffic (I ride a lot in traffic). Could have been fatal in certain circumstances or brutally horrific.

Glad you're okay, minus some bumps and scratches. Hope your wheel gets sorted. 

I would like to thank Ninebot for a great day at the hospital, thank you for the great work with firmware v 1.2.6.

Excellent work boys, keep up this level of great firmware updates and you'll be soon out of business and defending a flood of lawsuits coming you way !!

I'm soooo pissed off with you guys !!

IMG_20151003_192524 (2).jpg

Anyone got the change log from the new app? In Android version, it's under /res/raw/one_egversion.txt (The .apk itself is just a zip-file). Just wondering if it says anything like "hot fix for 1.2.6" or similar, ie. are they aware that 1.2.6 has problems.

I don't find anything except en.txt in Ninebot dir but for the 1.2.2 version. Nothing for the 1.2.6.

Wow I'm completly blown away by this. If this is really due to a bad firmware update then that is really neglegent and there should be some action taking upon them. I have to admit that the only thing that scares me about this machine is the risk of cut off. When I'm doing alomst 25mph sometimes I think to myself if I fall right now I' gonna get seriously hurt. i guess thats the chance we all take while riding a EU"s. After watching this I'm Deffenitly buying some better equipment. I only use a helmet and today I bought these nice padded gloves. Its geting cold in new york now and my girlfriemnd just got me this awesome winter bike jacket. It has removeable elbow, shoulder and a back padding. Now i just need knee pads adn I should be good. I hope that everyone that got hurt heals quiclky. Its really scary because I can guarentee you that there are a huge amount of ninebot users that don't know about this forum that got seriously hurt.

Let me know if I am boring you all.  But I finally had some time to get the pictures off my phone and choose some.  I know a dislocated (and now sprained) pinky isn't as bad as a broken wrist.  But I thought I would share some pictures. 

Bloody ring finger at the ER yesterday
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7oev598hxU2ZGRfS0pBS3NYbTQ/view

Dislocated finger at the ER yesterday (after it was put back in place)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7oev598hxU2YkRSZjVvNUw5QXc/view

Road rash forearm at the ER yesterday
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7oev598hxU2dWFZd2RSRWRoUk0/view

Dislocated finger today
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7oev598hxU2V05NQnF5VXpOaWM/view

Forearm today
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7oev598hxU2LTk2NFBwdWtEN0k/view

Also, I do want to say I realize that mechanical and electronics parts can break.  I realize that even software can have an occasional glitch.  But I think (as others have mentioned) that having software so buggy that just about everyone using it is experiencing major problems is inexcusable (negligent).  It's like it wasn't even tested before it was released.  I've had my 9B1 just a little over 2 months and I have ridden it 393miles but it cutout in under 2 minutes and 0.30miles of riding it due to this firmware update.  But I realize now that I need to be the QC tester next time or let the 9B1 community do it for me. 

lso, I do want to say I realize that mechanical and electronics parts can break.  I realize that even software can have an occasional glitch.  But I think (as others have mentioned) that having software so buggy that just about everyone using it is experiencing major problems is inexcusable (negligent).  It's like it wasn't even tested before it was released.  I've had my 9B1 just a little over 2 months and I have ridden it 393miles but it cutout in under 2 minutes and 0.30miles of riding it due to this firmware update.  But I realize now that I need to be the QC tester next time or let the 9B1 community do it for me. 

I guess you're referring to me, but I was talking about the dangers of EUCs in general. Of course you SHOULDN'T EVER have software problems on top of already (relatively) dangerous vehicles, and Ninebot releasing a clearly buggy firmware is inexcusable. I do hope you recover fast. My answer was to Gil's post (emphasis mine):

The situation regarding to fault tolerance and the dangers of riding a vehicle that will crash on event of power loss has always been the same. Without adding more wheels (probably three in total at minimum, with mechanical brakes), there is no way any sort of electronical redundancy could save the situation, duplicating everything else as separate redundant systems (batteries, mainboard, wiring), while making things more secure, still won't help when things really go south (motor failure, overleaning/-powering, flat tire, tire getting stuck on something, rock lodging so the tire can't turn, rider mistake, redundancy failing, etc. etc.), so using heavy protective gear is always recommended.

I've been aware of this since day one, what made me write the answer was that to me it's been plain clear all the time that the wheel can fail on me any time, any place, without any warning. That's why I use heavy protective gear, I don't give a flying fuck if it doesn't look "cool" or isn't convenient or whatever. Do people really need something like this to happen first, before they realize it's possible?

At the same time, riders ask for more speed, more power and less price. Something's gotta give, either you pay nearly double the price for redundant systems (or more, considering designing, prototyping & testing such a system is going to cost a lot), the wheels go slower, or simply, you just accept the risk and take precautions (or don't ride at all).

I guess you're referring to me, but I was talking about the dangers of EUCs in general. Of course you SHOULDN'T EVER have software problems on top of already (relatively) dangerous vehicles, and Ninebot releasing a clearly buggy firmware is inexcusable. I do hope you recover fast. My answer was to Gil's post (emphasis mine):

@esaj, I wasn't referring to just you. I think a few people mentioned things along the same lines.  I just think this firmware had to have skipped testing and that's what I find inexcusable. I'm sure Ninebot will say they tested it fully but I can't see how.  I'm probably not making my points very clearly. I would say I understand the risks I am taking by riding but I admit that I hadn't included the firmware in that... until now.  

Write an message to service@ninebot.com with pictures and videos of your troubles and also copy this message on their Facebook Page in a message.

We must report one by one all our troubles.

I sent an email to service@ninebot.com yesterday describing what happened and said that I had pictures & video.  Since it's the weekend I haven't heard back yet. I will send them an email with the pictures and video now. I also contacted Ninebot US this morning to resolve the problem. 

I'm not sure if putting it on their Facebook page would help.  Don't take this wrong (I am curious) but what do you think that would be the goal? 

Not on the Facebook page, but in private message. I wrote also to service@ninebot.com and I let a message via FB too. I'm waiting from them.

Oh, OK.  Gotcha.  Thanks.  I will see about doing that. (And what I mean by that is I don't use Facebook *THAT* much... I've never sent a private message.)

Friday afternoon, when I returned home with my wheel, a man stop me to talk about the 9B1. During the discussion, my wheel stopped. I thank you this Fu***ing guy to stop me. 20s later, and I would have fallen on the street..
Amazing...

It appears that the firmware glitch could appear after a while. It is clear on the video. When 1.2.6 is installed, there are 2 options : betting on 1.2.7 or downgrading on 1.2.2. But how can the second option be done ?

It appears that the firmware glitch could appear after a while. It is clear on the video. When 1.2.6 is installed, there are 2 options : betting on 1.2.7 or downgrading on 1.2.2. But how can the second option be done ?

What if v 1.2.8 or later releases suddenly creates another set of accidents? It will be like keeping your fingers crossed whenever there's a new update. It's a pity because Ninebot One is the coolest looking unicycle and I changed my mind on buying one.

• esaj unpinned and unfeatured this topic

Archived