Santa Monica e scooter ban

Han Vo

I would not risk it. If you do, go slow. There are plenty of places to ride not at the beach.

Edit: I didn't read the post carefully. Bike path should be fine. I think the abandoned scooters or mass of them are the issue. You will be the only uni-"cyclist". 

Edited by Flyboy10

8 hours ago, Han Vo said:

So Santa Monica bans electric scooters  along the beach bike paths. Does anyone know if this includes our EUC?

True, but have you seen the hundreds of scooters still using the paths?  I ride my EUC and my wife with her scooter regularly without issue but we try to be very respectful. 

They limit the rental scooter speeds to be neigh unusable during sections of the more populated beach paths.  It’s funny when my wife blows by a frustrated rental user and they can’t figure out how she can go so fast. 

• Upvote 1

So the law is for rental scooters only? Can someone confirm this? I want to take the fam to California to do a leisurely beach ride but dont want to get into trouble. My wife rides her own speedway iv. Maybe Marty would know? 

If the law is to stop privately owned machines on the bike paths, no one has informed the police yet. I regularly ride my EUC down the ocean bike paths with no problems right in front of police.

The geo-blocking of the rentals is certainly frustrating if I have friends who want to join me though

• Like 1

Unfortunately I have not ridden the Santa Monica beach area this year yet!

But from what @Dzlchef and @Jambo are saying, looks likes it's still very rideable.

From Venice Beach Pier up to the Pacific Palisades, it's a great ride. Be sure to take the mini-detour up the California Incline. It's right off the bike path and at the top it offers a beautiful view of the whole oceanfront. It's a dedicated bike path separated from the cars by barricades. 

Here's the Google Map Pin for the entrance from the bike bath: https://goo.gl/maps/gktSPMz1iEaxJry47

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

From Venice Beach Pier up to the Pacific Palisades, it's a great ride. Be sure to take the mini-detour up the California Incline. It's right off the bike path and at the top it offers a beautiful view of the whole oceanfront. It's a dedicated bike path separated from the cars by barricades. 

Here's the Google Map Pin for the entrance from the bike bath: https://goo.gl/maps/gktSPMz1iEaxJry47

If I'm not mistaken you have a vid of a ride up that incline

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Smoother said:

If I'm not mistaken you have a vid of a ride up that incline

Thanks, I had forgotten than one :)

• Like 1

You can extend your ride easily by starting in Culver City and taking the Ballona Creek bike bath which’s dumps you in Marina Del Ray, then easy ride to Venice and the coastal trail north.  Much more sane place to park when it’s busy. 

• Like 2