Best Wheel for Pure Commuting ?

kelec_947

Hello Wheelers,

Here I come to the end of my reflection on the wheel that would allow me not to be too inconvenient for transport (rer + tgv from time to time) and comfort. I will only do 15km a day with it but I can be taken to take it on vacation too.

For historical, I had my tesla that I sold to a great guy of the forum;). I loved it but too versatile. Not at best on the trails and too big and heavy for transport although a great comfort for the city + trolley too low (for me.) I find myself today with a MSX 1600W. Unfortunately, it is not made for the transport that I take every day.

So, I'm looking for a light handy wheel! powerful and comfortable. I have tasted today only Gotway. My tall : 193m for 87kg but fine. So I have a big enough gabari and I would not want to have a wheel that I regret. The MCM5 is nice but heavy however the trolley is high and reaches my arm. The KS14S I do not know that little but super well equipped and compact. I do not know the height of the trolley.

If you had any advice, I'm not against that I think it will help :) By the way, for Kingsong, I do not see Ali would they sold in France?

Thank you all!

• Upvote 1

I primarily use my Solowheel Glide 3 for commuting. It has a slim shell, weighs in around 30lbs, has a integrated trolley handle and I can get 15-18 miles per charge. The unit only take 2-3 hours to charge so I can have a full battery at lunch and for the commute home. The wheel also comfortably cruises around 15-17MPH. I did upgrade from the 1.95 tire to the 2.125 V8 version. 

4 hours ago, kelec_947 said:

Hello Wheelers,

Here I come to the end of my reflection on the wheel that would allow me not to be too inconvenient for transport (rer + tgv from time to time) and comfort. I will only do 15km a day with it but I can be taken to take it on vacation too.

For historical, I had my tesla that I sold to a great guy of the forum;). I loved it but too versatile. Not at best on the trails and too big and heavy for transport although a great comfort for the city + trolley too low (for me.) I find myself today with a MSX 1600W. Unfortunately, it is not made for the transport that I take every day.

So, I'm looking for a light handy wheel! powerful and comfortable. I have tasted today only Gotway. My tall : 193m for 87kg but fine. So I have a big enough gabari and I would not want to have a wheel that I regret. The MCM5 is nice but heavy however the trolley is high and reaches my arm. The KS14S I do not know that little but super well equipped and compact. I do not know the height of the trolley.

If you had any advice, I'm not against that I think it will help :) By the way, for Kingsong, I do not see Ali would they sold in France?

Thank you all!

Surely a 14D is a backward step spec and performance wise?

Your dilemma is similar to mine. I wanted one ewheel. Ended up with thr the tesla.

The weight.part is the biggest challenge. No matter whether scooter or whee you'll the bigger.boys weighimg 20kf or higher.

I would have suggested ks16x as you get the more manoeuverable diameter of 16'. The boucy amd comfort of the msx via the 3inch wheel and a good top speed/range. However at.24kg. I'm not how well that'd go down.

Interested to hear whether if you know have any regrets selling your tesla?

The 14D seems to be the lightest serious commuter wheel to me, decent batteries and well equipped. 12,5-14kg depending on websites.

OP already have an MSX, he don’t need a second beefy wheel.

Edited by Mimolette
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Mimolette said:

The 14D seems to be the lightest serious commuter wheel to me, decent batteries and well equipped. 12,5-14kg depending on websites.

OP already have an MSX, he don’t need a second beefy wheel.

Oh yes. I read that he was thinking of getting rid of the msx too!

@rinzler Indeed, I had to re-read, seems he’s keeping the MSX and looking for a light “take the train” wheel. (TGV and RER are French trains)

@kelec_947 about handle: I have the 16S and the handle is ok, however you are 13cm taller than me and the 14 D might be a bit shorter. I doubt there are much longer alternatives though.

Edited by Mimolette

Hi all ,

Oh yes sorry TGV and RER are french trains :) 

My tesla was very good for comfort but it's difficult for me to take train with it. Too big and the weight is hard. more over the trolley is too little.

So now, i'm search a second whell for city and train but comfortable. I have an opportunity for a mCM4V2HS NEW 680w for 400euros. what do you think about that ? But perhaps there is another more new whell for me :/

I'm lost in my choice.

I don’t know the mcm4 but that wh/€ is very good. (I’ve followed the French second hand market for a while). No trolley though :) (or aftermarket) Such good price it might be worth it though. Else there is a 14S at 800 on LBC but a bit expensive.

Edited by Mimolette

I have KS14D, KS14S (840wh) and MCM5 (800wh). I recently sold the MCM5 and kept the other 2.

The trolley handles on KS are the best, but very short for your height. 

MCM5 is great and fun if you don't need to take it on a bus and put under seat ...etc. (bigger and heavier compares to KS14S)

KS14D is very light but you MUST charge it at work, otherwise you will get speed throttle below 50% battery which is no fun.

That's why I use KS14S as my daily commuter with a little sacrifice of top speed, but MCM5 might work just fine for your needs.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, hsiang@tw said:

J'ai KS14D, KS14S (840wh) et MCM5 (800wh). J'ai récemment vendu le MCM5 et gardé les 2 autres.

Les poignées de chariot sur KS sont les meilleures, mais elles sont très courtes pour votre taille. 

MCM5 est génial et amusant si vous n’avez pas besoin de le prendre dans un bus et de le mettre sous le siège ... etc. (plus gros et plus lourd comparé à KS14S)

Le KS14D est très léger mais vous DEVEZ le charger au travail, sinon vous obtiendrez un accélérateur de vitesse inférieur à 50% de la batterie, ce qui n'est pas amusant.

C’est pourquoi j’utilise le KS14S comme trajet quotidien avec un petit sacrifice de la vitesse maximale, mais le MCM5 pourrait bien fonctionner pour vos besoins.

"MCM5 is great and fun if you don't need to take it on a bus and put under seat ...etc. (bigger and heavier compares to KS14S)" Thanks for this advise unfortunaly, it's my need.. So i don't think MCM5 is the best thing for me". What is the wheight of you KS14S ? thanks a lot

Hi. First post.

I'm in sort of a similar situation as the OP, except I'm slightly taller and heavier (195cm, 95kg) and I'm a total newbie. I just started learning on an MCM3 and then I want to eventually buy my first real wheel (Tesla? 16X? 18XL). But in the meantime I think I want to upgrade my learning wheel to something that can handle my weight (the MCM3 seems to struggle) and then, after I get the hang of riding it, use the learner as my beater wheel on my daily commute.

And I have to be honest, I hate the way the MCM3 looks. It looks like an OG Solowheel rather than the new breed of wheels.

My commute is on this trail, from 11:10 to the train station at 12:20. I probably won't take it on the train though but instead lock it up in a Bikelink locker.

I wonder if a KS14d/s be a good option.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Esso said:

Hi. First post.

I'm in sort of a similar situation as the OP, except I'm slightly taller and heavier (195cm, 95kg) and I'm a total newbie. I just started learning on an MCM3 and then I want to eventually buy my first real wheel (Tesla? 16X? 18XL). But in the meantime I think I want to upgrade my learning wheel to something that can handle my weight (the MCM3 seems to struggle) and then, after I get the hang of riding it, use the learner as my beater wheel on my daily commute.

And I have to be honest, I hate the way the MCM3 looks. It looks like an OG Solowheel rather than the new breed of wheels.

My commute is on this trail, from 11:10 to the train station at 12:20. I probably won't take it on the train though but instead lock it up in a Bikelink locker.

I wonder if a KS14d/s be a good option.

Hey!  indeed we are in the same case.  I created a new topic because we are not the only ones to ask this kind of question.  For us big, the 14 inches are maybe a bit small for our size.  I had the Tesla.  superb wheel speeds well and reliable.  but trolley far too short ..

Yes, by todays standards the MCM4 is horrible. I think it’s even worse than the KS-16S soft mode.

The KingSong handles are the nicest. Perhaps the 16S could fit the bill? Although, it might not be smaller or lighter than the Tesla.

I have not tried the 14S or 14D, but I would suspect that if 16S is too big, they would be the best alternatives.

I use the V8 for this, it weighs <14kg and just about fits well in front of the seat in the RER. It's the only 16"er which comes close to the desired specs. Here is a list of wheels sorted by weight:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1T9GZJGJf9V24WRLqzVIyXuIeax2mu3fG5fXzHchPMwk

Edited by Mono