So what would be the next best breakthrough ?

Wonderwebb

So I'm relatively new to the euc scene and just about to pick up an MSX

What major improvement in EUCs would you really like to see ? I was thinking that in the case of  a cutout  there could  failsafe mechanism to  stop the wheel tipping forward or backwards giving you the opportunity to a least decide your bail out strategy.   What will be the next evolution in your opinion? Be interesting  to hear your thoughts of where things could end up.

Edited by Wonderwebb

Other than "same but better" features like power /weight / safety, the next step will probably be suspensions of some sort.

Regarding failsafe mechanism the IPS S5 has redundancy. AFAIK we don't know if it is conclusive though.

Edited by Mimolette

Yeah a suspension that inMotion is working on should be interesting.  But mostly expect incremental improvements:

1. Stronger motor which means safer, which means more difficult to overpower.

2. Cheaper

3. Stronger case.  More difficult to damage case.

4. Lighter

5. Still bigger pedals!

6. Higher off the ground to minimize scrape

7. Bigger wheels for those of us that like the SUV feel vs sports car. :)

8. More powerful front lights

I thought the tubeless Ninebot Z10 was the next break through, but alas the poor quality control and lack of support sunk that innovation.

It's important to differentiate between higher quality (same but better) versus a true innovation (something introduced that no one else has).

Here's my two votes...

1. Actual suspension where we have an oil or air (or both) tube/stanchion going up and down.

2. A new user interface that is better at warning riders they are about to "exceed design parameters". Tiltback is dangerous even for experienced riders, because the process of warning riders puts them in danger, and since there's no standard tiltback, how you react may be right for one wheel and right for another. To date, the underpowered Inmotion V5 is the only wheel that has sent my 220 pound ass to the moon.

Less is more: a slim and handy 1500W and 1000Wh wheel with the usual bells and whistles (light, trolley, kill-switch, etc etc) that weighs less than 11kg. It may be that this is only achievable with a motor with higher RPM and transmission. Then reliability of the transmission and noise may become a challenge. It may even be that these specs are out of technological reach :(

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Seth Tan said:

My first post!

I think having 20" wheel size might open up lots of tyre options. That is what I would love to see!

True. For that reason it's almost comical that Gotway skipped 20" when successively increasing their tire size. I still feel that up to speeds of 25km/h the best torque-weight-safety and tyre-options compromise is more towards 16" than 20".

I'd like to be able to quickly add / remove batteries - reducing weight for local rides, then loading up for long journeys.

Also the ability to quickly dis-assemble the wheel to change the tyre / repair a puncture.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mono said:

True. For that reason it's almost comical that Gotway skipped 20" when successively increasing their tire size. I still feel that up to speeds of 25km/h the best torque-weight-safety and tyre-options compromise is more towards 16" than 20".

Till today I still wonder why they went with 22" when 20" seemed like the obvious upgrade over 18" wheels.

From where I come from, we rarely ride above 25km/h these days. This trend is increasingly obvious with the number of 16" owners. It hits the sweet spot when it comes to short commutes! 

Edited by Seth Tan

On 5/24/2019 at 10:57 AM, Mono said:

Less is more: a slim and handy 1500W and 1000Wh wheel with the usual bells and whistles (light, trolley, kill-switch, etc etc) that weighs less than 11kg. It may be that this is only achievable with a motor with higher RPM and transmission. Then reliability of the transmission and noise may become a challenge. It may even be that these specs are out of technological reach :(

+100. For me it could weigh a few kilos more, say no more than 13-14. Something nice and stable but still possible to carry. 16".

• Upvote 1

A proper app...! From the manufacturers. 

One that doesn't force you to connect to a server each time you want to change anything, and one that stays connected...

The current generation of wheel is very good, and more functions isn't on top of my list :ph34r: