Can I ride my Msuper in the rain?

Donafello

With the coming storm on the east coast and with the weekend here I wanted to know if I can ride my unit in the rain? Now if it's a really bad storm of course I won't but if I start riding and it starts to rain pretty hard do I need to get in a taxi or can I ride home?

I was hoping you were the one to reply:) Yeah I plan on riding through the weekend and I'm just worried that if I'm out already can I still ride in the rain while the unit is not covered or anything. Thanks for the help

I was hoping you were the one to reply:) Yeah I plan on riding through the weekend and I'm just worried that if I'm out already can I still ride in the rain while the unit is not covered or anything. Thanks for the help

Anytime :)

This video shows a rather creative approach to waterproof an EUC with a shopping bag: http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/1019-the-video-thread/?do=findComment&comment=13860 - but then, I'd be more concerned about the water coming from the underside anyway....

• 2 weeks later...

I rode my MSuper in moderate rain 3 times without any problem. Once I use shopping bag to cover the EUC and other times I clean the water as soon as I got out of the rain.

One of my friend who also rode his MSuper on heavy rain once but got some corrosion on some connectors (charge connectors to be precise) when I open the cover later for battery addition.

I have ridden on the ocean beach right at the edge where water comes in contact with sand maybe not the brightest idea but my Msuper MS is just fine few month later. It past heavy rain test as well on more than one occasion. Tricky part riding in the rain is that splashes going right at your butt once you gain your speed( at slow speed housing of the unit somewhat ok at stopping splashing). I was searching all over internet including this site for fender accessory but couldn’t find one, so I improvised. Took my kid shoe heel insert and cut it at the end width so it can go over handle bar of the Msuper handle. You can see pic before and after. I haven’t tested my creation yet but as soon as we have rain I can update this post. BTW if you are aware of better way or factory grade fender for EUC please let me know.

2015-10-14-384.jpg

2015-10-14-385.jpg

I would be more worried about checking the sealing on the seam above the wheel in the wheel arch than the top of the machine as any water you ride through, raining or not is going to hit that seam like a power washer jet.

On 2015/10/16 at 10:01 AM, lkopv21 said:

Are you using Velcro to attach 'women's bottom' to the bar:)? Also if you can send a link where I can buy 'pear' that would help too. I would consider your trick if mine doesn't work. Thank you.

That's right, I use 3M Velcro of one sided(not male+female).
The 'pear' was cut from the cover of a plastic file folder.
There is also a 'bee' fender on the last photo.

• 2 weeks later...

Tricky part riding in the rain is that splashes going right at your butt once you gain your speed( at slow speed housing of the unit somewhat ok at stopping splashing). I was searching all over internet including this site for fender accessory but couldn’t find one, so I improvised. Took my kid shoe heel insert and cut it at the end width so it can go over handle bar of the Msuper handle. You can see pic before and after. I haven’t tested my creation yet but as soon as we have rain I can update this post. BTW if you are aware of better way or factory grade fender for EUC please let me know.

Not sure whether it's better, but simpler: for the bicycle I have been using just duc tape to construct fenders for years. It's super simple and a double layer is usually already stiff enough. 

Archived