Glendora California Ride - 25May2019

@enigma35 @HeavyGoing @Marvin Ong @Mushuukyou @Tjtripp @Sven @unowheel @Questor @Roll Model @Mike Hanna @Jon Sawa @serfy @swvision @Kimosabi @zentype @ndmcc @Mimir @Josh Morgan

@Shawn Johnson @IRK @MikeV @Peter Q @Sketch @captainwells @NBC44 @Stan Onymous @Gizmo Dork @Alsayyad @Chairman S @who_the @Dave Frear  @roghaj @downtown @Yunicyle @Terenig @Dave U @Flying W @Heyzeus @NightRider @Mike Hanna @Klin @3euc @Unosolo @Williepimpin @Heyzeus @JomMas  @BlackOutEX @Freewheeler @TomM @tihoa @Ferreal@Austin @Ben Richards

@noisycarlos @Tanabe @Dzlchef @Ando Melkonyan @YoshiSkySun @n2eus @maltocs @1Wheeler @Rama Douglas @Nick McCutcheon @mark chanya @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer"

Want a mountain adventure ride and you have a 1600wh wheel? Join me this Saturday as we climb the mountains above Glendora, for approximately 2500 feet. Once we reach the Glendora Road, depending on our battery conditions we may attempt to continue to Mount Baldy for lunch. Either way we will return to the bottom on the road. I anticipate that the road will still be closed to car traffic this weekend.

Now regarding the wheel spec's. I say 1600wh, but that's only if you want to continue to Mt Baldy. From my personal experience with similar mountain trail climbs I can say with authority that any ~800wh wheel will be able to make the trail climb. But instead of taking the road down, you will descend on the same trail. You'll probably get a 25% battery recharge on the way down. I've seen a ~800wh wheel climb ~4600 feet, arriving on empty, yet be able to descend the same path with lots of power on the bottom.

So if you're up for an adventure, consider joining the ride. These rides are always very memorable.

There is plenty of parking here. Let's meet between 8:30 and 9:00, aiming for a departure ~9am

Bring some energy snacks and plenty of water. The route up is classic off-road riding and you'll want to stay hydrated. Cell phone coverage does not exist. I will be bringing my fast charger in case some of us decide to make a go for Mt Baldy. The ride back down on the road is not fully free because the slope is gentle. But I rode many miles on my test run and only consumed 2-percent of my battery. So we should be able to get enough charge at the restaurant to make it down the mountain.

RSVP if you will attend. If nobody decides to join me via RSVP then I reserve the right not to show up at the appointed hour.

Hope you can join me.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Freewheeler said:

Thanks for the invite Marty but I moved to Irvine last month.

I hope to still meet up for some of the more southerly runs. 

Have a blast! 

I've driven farther than that for great rides, but I understand ;)

Lots of great riding in Orange County.

I know. And I would but I'm not driving right now. A knucklehead rear ended me April '18. I was driving 55 and he clobbered me, totalling a late model 328i. Knee surgery, physical therapy, etc.. Still haven't settled the case. 

But, I was born and raised in OC so I'm home again. Exploring on my euc will be a blast though

Cheers!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Freewheeler said:

I know. And I would but I'm not driving right now. A knucklehead rear ended me April '18. I was driving 55 and he clobbered me, totalling a late model 328i. Knee surgery, physical therapy, etc.. Still haven't settled the case. 

But, I was born and raised in OC so I'm home again. Exploring on my euc will be a blast though

Cheers!

:shock2:  Best of luck on your recovery.

No worries. I invite every Southern California rider that I know of. I only hope for a few bites for any given ride. There's really no need for anybody to explain why they can't make a particular ride.

All this talk about exploring paved mountain roads, closed to cars, and scenic trails has my juices flowing again.  :D  Hopefully I can schedule my contractors around this ride timing.  Nothing preventing me from participating, at the moment.  The pin location for parking appears behind private gates in google earth.  Maybe this location needs an adjustment?

Edited by n2eus
  • Like 1

I found this video of the climbing trail, shot late last year. Some of the comments (one week old) on the video indicate that it's more overgrown right now.

So this has me thinking that the Monroe Trail may not be best for the ascent. Instead, we take the road up (see my 360-video above) to where this trail meets (you can see it in my 360 video) and take the trail on the other side of the road all the way down to E Fork Road. What's nice about this other trail is that it's actually a fire road vs the single-trail Monroe trail.

We could also go for broke and try Mt Baldy.

Lots of options to consider. It'll be fun regardless.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I found this video of the climbing trail, shot late last year. Some of the comments (one week old) on the video indicate that it's more overgrown right now.

So this has me thinking that the Monroe Trail may not be best for the ascent. Instead, we take the road up (see my 360-video above) to where this trail meets (you can see it in my 360 video) and take the trail on the other side of the road all the way down to E Fork Road. What's nice about this other trail is that it's actually a fire road vs the single-trail Monroe trail.

We could also go for broke and try Mt Baldy.

Lots of options to consider. It'll be fun regardless.

Thanks for looking more into options.  I concur with all your thoughts above.  If we took the fire road down to E Fork Road, were you thinking about taking E Fork Road to the bottom of Glendora Mountain Road and then Glendora Mountain Road all the back to starting point?  or return back up the fire road?

Reminder:  You still need to correct the pin in your first post to reflect a valid meeting location.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, n2eus said:

Thanks for looking more into options.  I concur with all your thoughts above.  If we took the fire road down to E Fork Road, were you thinking about taking E Fork Road to the bottom of Glendora Mountain Road and then Glendora Mountain Road all the back to starting point?  or return back up the fire road?

Reminder:  You still need to correct the pin in your first post to reflect a valid meeting location.

When we get to the E Fork Road we can head East or West. West is OK but that road down from the mountain is more heavily trafficked (by cars). I think going East offers more interesting options. We can connect to Glendora Mountain Road and head back up or continue all the way to Mt Baldy.

The Pin seems correct to me. It lands you on Big Dalton Wash which is a road with lots of side parking. On the weekends on not sure of the parking conditions further up the road.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

When we get to the E Fork Road we can head East or West. West is OK but that road down from the mountain is more heavily trafficked (by cars). I think going East offers more interesting options. We can connect to Glendora Mountain Road and head back up or continue all the way to Mt Baldy.

The Pin seems correct to me. It lands you on Big Dalton Wash which is a road with lots of side parking. On the weekends on not sure of the parking conditions further up the road.

I like the options and have matching preferences as you (depending on required watthrs).

Big Dalton Wash is behind closed gates:

image.thumb.png.a36259558fcfb53b41e9934870329f73.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, n2eus said:

I like the options and have matching preferences as you (depending on required watthrs).

Big Dalton Wash is behind closed gates:

Now I see what I did. Somehow I pinned a parallel street.

Fixed. Thanks!

• Like 1

Just for a frame of reference, 

OPTION A for example is 9 miles up Glendora Mountain Road to left at fire road.
17 miles accumulated to E Fork Road.  Total loop travel (and back to start) would be 34 miles total.

Glendora Ridge Road to Mount Baldy is an additional 24 miles out and back.

PAVED OPTION B all the way to Mount Baldy and back would be 42 miles total.

image.thumb.png.8a5b43e4833bbf1cc6203ce92847638f.png

Edited by n2eus
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

:D

"This video contains content from NBC Universal, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, n2eus said:

Just for a frame of reference, 

OPTION A for example is 9 miles up Glendora Mountain Road to left at fire road.
17 miles accumulated to E Fork Road.  Total loop travel (and back to start) would be 34 miles total.

Glendora Ridge Road to Mount Baldy is an additional 24 miles out and back.

PAVED OPTION B all the way to Mount Baldy and back would be 42 miles total.

image.thumb.png.8a5b43e4833bbf1cc6203ce92847638f.png

Nice summary.

It's probably going to be Option A without Mt Baldy. The direct route to Mt Baldy (42-miles) may only be doable on the 2400wh Monster considering that half the route involves a lot of climbing. And I don't know if there's really any recharging options there.

When I rode my MSX up to the trail head that leads down to E Fork Rd, my battery was at ~60%

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

@Marty Backe  you are one terrific host! Arranging these adventurous rides for all your fellow comrades to enjoy deserves an applause. 👏 I do hope to join you one day. 

Thanks. I try :D  Just wish more people would join me but then again I understand we all have separate busy lives.

I do hope we can have at least one ride together.  Maybe even one which involves a beer at Hooters :w00t2: You have a standing offer to use any of my wheels, as you know :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Nice summary.

It's probably going to be Option A without Mt Baldy. The direct route to Mt Baldy (42-miles) may only be doable on the 2400wh Monster considering that half the route involves a lot of climbing. And I don't know if there's really any recharging options there.

When I rode my MSX up to the trail head that leads down to E Fork Rd, my battery was at ~60%

Since this is the closest group ride for me to date,not the usual 40+ miles drive , I have to join this one. And Mt.Baldy does have charging places in the village so it is a viable option even for blue Monsters.:D

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" said:

Since this is the closest group ride for me to date,not the usual 40+ miles drive , I have to join this one. And Mt.Baldy does have charging places in the village so it is a viable option even for blue Monsters.:D

Have you ridden this before? I'm undecided which wheel to bring. Dan doesn't have 2400wh Monster and I don't know if he was considering bring a charger.

But if it's just us, it would be a fun challenge to go all the way to Baldy.

• Like 1

I would gladly bring a charger if you have confidence in availability of power in the village.  I think that would be an awesome ride.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, n2eus said:

I would gladly bring a charger if you have confidence in availability of power in the village.  I think that would be an awesome ride.

I'm going to bring my fast charger. Jeff seems confident that we can plug-in. Should be an adventure.

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks. I try :D  Just wish more people would join me but then again I understand we all have separate busy lives.

Well I commend your efforts. 

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I do hope we can have at least one ride together.  Maybe even one which involves a beer at Hooters :w00t2: You have a standing offer to use any of my wheels, as you know :)

Thanks! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rama Douglas said:

I'm in! Sounds like I should bring chargers as well? I'm down with Baldy too if charging, then again, the ride down could regenerate batts all the way down, perhaps? Sounds like a beautiful ride!

Regen only partially works on these types of hills. They aren't steep enough to actually generate more juice than is used. For instance, a ~5-mile downhill run on this road consumed about 2% of my battery. So the ride is almost energy free, but not quite.

It's looking like this is a "charger required" ride unless you're willing to turn back at some point while we continue.

I'm not convinced that we can actually make it to Baldy. We'll have to wing-it as we ride, making the decision real-time. I think Jeff and I, with 2400wh Monsters could do it for sure, but you and Dan, I'm not sure.

It's going to be fun regardless.

• Like 2