MattD

Downhill Issue

Hi All,

I recently got a ninbot c+ and overall it has been fun and i feel pretty comfortable. However i am getting a super consistent fault that i am hoping you can help with. 

I live on a hill and leave the house and go down it. I travel slowly and very much in control (8 - 10kph). After about 200 mtrs ninebot rapidly beeps like it has fallen on its side (different beep to overspeed) and it feels like i lose the gyro. As i am leaning back to control my speed already the wheel just runs out in front of me and i end up running to keep balance while the 9bot scraps down the street.

First time it scared me, now i go slower and am ready for it to happen. Never had an issue on uphill or flat. 

I am going to test a theory today regarding battery charge but keen to hear your ideas. Thanks

3 hours ago, MattD said:

am going to test a theory today regarding battery charge but keen to hear your ideas. Thanks

Welcome!

Most probably you start with a full battery? Going downhill does regenerative braking and by this gives you an overvoktage warning till the wheel cuts off..

I think this is correct. Rode down the same hill deliberately with out full battery. By the time i got to the bottom with no issue my battery had gone up by about 8%. 

Dont understand how braking down a hill doesnt use battery though. Thought it would use more rather than going full speed. 

5 hours ago, MattD said:

I think this is correct. Rode down the same hill deliberately with out full battery. By the time i got to the bottom with no issue my battery had gone up by about 8%. 

Dont understand how braking down a hill doesnt use battery though. Thought it would use more rather than going full speed. 

The motor acts as a generator when you brake, instead of using power from the battery, it "converts" the kinetic energy to electric energy and recharges the battery.

I have watched an app while going down hill. up to 4.5 Amps generated. (it fluctuated continuously)