Gotway MCM5 LED Issue

Hi all,

My MCM5 finally got in two days ago and I've been loving it. This morning however I noticed there was a weird behavior in the rotating LED's on the wheel. It seems that where the LED's are currently lit up, random bits of light and color glitch into the LED area. This video shows an example of the issue: 

I've emailed ewheels support to see what they say but I would love to know what you all think... the issue happens on multiple different LED colors/configurations.

2 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Congrats! 

Most likely a faulty LED strip, which is cheap.

If it were me, I would just get a replacement strip and swap (so long as nothing is functionally wrong with your wheel).

Sweet. I'd definitely be down to do that, is the labor relatively doable?

22 minutes ago, nickysneids said:

Sweet. I'd definitely be down to do that, is the labor relatively doable?

Not the easiest or hardest, but I always think its good to know how to break down your wheel for the inevitable tire inner tube patch/change.

Hardest part is to pry away the top clear plastic border, need to do firmly with something metal like a screwdriver, wedging it in the seems, bottom-up, side-by-side.

Also remember to remove the handle of the trolley and depedal.

• Like 1

Just now, houseofjob said:

Not the easiest or hardest, but I always think its good to know how to break down your wheel for the inevitable tire inner tube patch/change.

Hardest part is to pry away the top clear plastic border, need to do firmly with something metal like a screwdriver, wedging it in the seems, bottom-up, side-by-side.

Also remember to remove the handle of the trolley and depedal.

Alright thanks! This would effectively void my warranty with ewheels, right?

48 minutes ago, nickysneids said:

Alright thanks! This would effectively void my warranty with ewheels, right?

If you get a flat that requires an inner tube replacement, you're going to have to disassemble the wheel, and believe me, the expectation is not that you send the wheel back to EWheels for the work to get done. Replacing the LED strip should be easier than an inner tube.

The warranty is for things like this, getting a new LED strip. You certainly aren't going to buy it yourself, right?

Good thing is, you can enjoy the wheel as-is until you get the replacement LED. You should be able to cycle the LED mode to where it's turned off if the freaky lights bother you :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/17/2019 at 12:04 PM, Marty Backe said:

If you get a flat that requires an inner tube replacement, you're going to have to disassemble the wheel, and believe me, the expectation is not that you send the wheel back to EWheels for the work to get done. Replacing the LED strip should be easier than an inner tube.

The warranty is for things like this, getting a new LED strip. You certainly aren't going to buy it yourself, right?

Good thing is, you can enjoy the wheel as-is until you get the replacement LED. You should be able to cycle the LED mode to where it's turned off if the freaky lights bother you :)

Yeah I definitely didn't want to send the wheel back for something like this or a wheel replacement, having way to much fun with it to standby during shipping. I got in contact with Jason at eWheels and he's sending out a new LED strip that I'll replace myself!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Nicky. Guy here from Portland, Maine. I'm thinking of getting a MCM5 as my first wheel. A small tight powerful wheel. I don't want to spend on an "entry" level wheel just to spend more almost immediately later. Would you mind a visit from a newbie sometime? Website shows your location as Boston. I have not seen an EUC here never. Anyway, Thanks...Guy

On 6/2/2019 at 11:15 AM, Guy said:

Hey Nicky. Guy here from Portland, Maine. I'm thinking of getting a MCM5 as my first wheel. A small tight powerful wheel. I don't want to spend on an "entry" level wheel just to spend more almost immediately later. Would you mind a visit from a newbie sometime? Website shows your location as Boston. I have not seen an EUC here never. Anyway, Thanks...Guy

Hey man. Yeah totally! Do you have plans to come into Boston area anytime soon?

I was just near by yesterday. Look up YouTube channel: TheBlackCobra . He let me come down to learn. It was great! More people came with their wheels. One guy went home and brought a few wheels. Some big, heavy, powerful, and fast wheels. I did a short drone video, YouTube: "Yuginot Y", of some of them on their wheels. Long drive, great fun. I found the big wheels easier. Started with the Inmotion V8. I was a total klutz! The Ninebot Z10 was the easiest to me, with which I had my longest ride. Wheels smaller and lighter, others heavy and powerful, making the selection of my first much more difficult. And, possibly, more expensive! I've even thought about the Gotway Nicola. I'm really trying to analyze how I may use a wheel realistically. Torture!!!!!

Hey Nicky. After a lot of thought, I think I am going to go with the MCM5. I really like the Nikola, however its physical size and weight worry me. Thinking about how I will use my wheel and possibly my 11 year old son will use, a large wheel may not be the best right now. One imposed restriction is I want to be able to carry the wheel either in the truck or passenger side floor of my '94 Mazda Miata R. along with my 25 pound dog, minikwad and its equipment, and my backpack. The range and the power of the MCM5 is good enough for most things I would do. Another use is to ride from home to downtown Portland and the University of Southern Maine, about 5-10 miles, and be able to carry or roll the wheel inside the buildings and even top off its charge level if needed. Lastly, rides from my house around the surrounding area up to 20 miles. A lot of different uses. What do you think? I can see why wheel owners have more than one wheel. Thanks...Guy