Going Backwards

Cegalo

Hey colleagues!,

now I can ride with control with my Ninebot One E+, I´m trying to ride backwards with but it is quite difficult (2 sessions of 30 minutes and no more than 2 meters back)

My objetive is to keep the balance 2-3 meters oscillating back and front before trying more distance backwards.

How many of you go backwards?

Could you give me any advice to improve?

Thank you !

I recently asked on the forums myself.  I've been practicing a lot and can go backwards pretty consistently, but can't round corners very well. 

It's hard to say what really "clicks" when you can finally start doing it more than a few meters. Two things I can think of are:

1. I kind of discovered that there is less heel-work than I thought there would be and I was still using my toes to help balance and control. I don't think I'm putting much more weight on my heels than I would riding forward. Remember that MOST control comes from feet/ankles/quads. This leads to my second point:

2. I was usually over-controlling or over-compensating with my upper body.  Any skilled forward-rider can attest that that most of the control comes from the waste-down and upper-body is really only used to help counter-balance during twists and turns.

Good luck.

I have not tried going  backwards any real distance yet, but remember on day one in the kitchen that going backwards was way easier than going forwards. I think once you learn a bit that as jdestef has said you put more effort in to going backwards than is needed, early days you barely moved to start  going backwards, so the trick is probably less is more with regards movement.

• 2 weeks later...

I can go backwards, in circle, S curve, or one footed. I can also oscillating in from 2-3 meters down to about 0.2 meter.

This is a video of me doing small range oscillating one year ago:
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XODIzMzU1NDY4.html

Here is how I learned:
1. use strap
2. find a flat place with no obstacles so that u can ride backwards without looking back first
3. gong forward-stop-backward
4. control the speed at walking speed when going backwards
5. if too fast, jump off the wheel and avoid the fall of the wheel by holding the strap
6. use leg twist to balance, twist at the direction to be fall.
7. have a break after each 20 min session.

Think I'm going to need to take your advice on the strap - was trying to learn to go backwards yesterday and the wheel went flying off a few times, accelerating into a wall and slightly cracking the shell on one occasion.

Well, I keep trying every now and then but haven't had any success at all :(

Going forward great now, even 'bouncing' up and down curbs.  Tight slalom no problem, slow enough to turn as tight as the pedals even scratch the floor!

Each time I get the chance, I'll 'roll to a stop' and then keep leaning backward but can't get my head around the balance / lean etc. to keep upright.  Suppose it'll just 'click' into place one day a bit like the forward thing did?  I'll keep trying anyway ;)

• 2 months later...

Guys,

I just spent an hour learning..  I couldn't do it. Its so hard! There were couple of times I managed to ride  backwards around 1 meter when I kept my hips straight, legs steady and wheels was steady.. problem is every time I try the wheels lean on one side..  I realised it's not riding backwards that's the problem it's when it wobbles I felt as if my legs cannot control it.. 

Any expert here who has tricks in keeping the wheels steady?

if you move backward very slow - try pivoting the wheel all the time while moving - this may help your body to adjust and keep balance. try to maintain constant speed - do not allow yourself to lean forward once you started moving, just make sure you lean backward enough to move slightly faster than walking, and force yourself to maintain this speed until you lose balance - you will realize that at this speed you can easily step off the wheel, and the fear of falling backward will fade.

OK.. after hours of practice I began to travel backwards 4 meters without falling. Seems to be getting better at it haha..

Guys the trick is to keep your hips straight and concentrate and to look forward and then start at an optimum speed i say 5km plus don't go too slow as your wheels will wobble. I realised that standing straight helps balance and the speed gives momentum..

Wear protective gear including a wrist guard!!! 

Will keep reporting haha

I use the moving forward , then flick into reverse method and also holding onto something and moving backwards when fully 'settled' - not easy but it does suddenly 'click'

Some good padded trousers are a valuable addition to the other safety gear when going backwards.

Generally I fell backwards when going in reverse - painful for the hips.

My backward is 'coming on' well, but slow (not speed, but development!) :(

I was in a sports hall last night and managed to travel from one wall to the other - four badminton court widths? - with reasonable confidence BUT all in a straight line, or weaving slightly.  As soon as I attempted to turn 'deliberately' I came unstuck and walked away every time.  Was very nice to be able to play inside on such smooth surface and in the relatively warm conditions compared to the freezing stuff we're coping with lately - and it's going to get colder next week :ph34r:

Managed to get some speed up while going straight but just wish I could master the turn also. 

So we call the forward 'crash' a FACEPLANT, do we call the rearward one an ARSEPLANT ?? ;)

37 minutes ago, DangerousDick said:

So we call the forward 'crash' a FACEPLANT, do we call the rearward one an ARSEPLANT ?? ;)

Sounds fair but the Americans would call it an 'Assplant' - which would be an injustice for donkeys who don't deserve to be innocently involved with our accidents through mucking about!
And don't get me started on a 'Fannyplant'!!
:D:D

OK so after many hours of practice and a moderate "arseplant" (have to do it the Aussie way....lol) I finally managed to go backwards, round in the circles, look backwards while riding... just need more practice to stabilise the wheel and ride...finally.. my hips and knees are killing.. think I will wait a couple of months before start learning a new trick..!! 

Riding backwards in smaller circles is hard.

Found the protection that I was wearing does not provide enough protection coverage for riding at faster speeds. Helmet does not protect the face. Shin guards does not protect the back calf area. Falling on the bum, shoulder or sideways there is no protection. I found this site which provides a large selection of protectors. http://www.royaldistributing.com/Catalogues/Main/2015-Spring-Fall/#16 Click on the side menu "Protective Gear" , they sale full coverage protection gears.

Their catalogue with pictures can be used as reference of what type of protections is available out there at other stores closer to where you live.

I did a bit of practice today for the first time. It's really hard! I tried forwards then back. I tried against one wall. I tried pushing away from a wall. I tried holding someone's hand. I tried a narrow corridor. I don't think I got further than a meter unassisted. But I guess that's the same as Day 1 learning to go forwards

Everybody...  please please wear protective gear...  head to toe every time you learn new tricks. Only time I forgot my shin guard I fall and cut myself so deep on the shins I need stitches. Sitting in a hospital now wishing everybody safe whilst riding...  

sorry to hear that, but don't despair. in the long run, this is a small price to pay for the fun we all have. as to the protective gear - totally agree, I'm trying to following this rule religiously, use protection on any ride. 

Archived