Easy on/off knee and elbow pad suggestions

Looking for recommendations for knee and elbow pads that I can easily strap on over pants, NOT the kind with a sleeve that require you to slip on.

So far I'm only aware of the TSG Force pads that attach in this way, any suggestions for other brands?

Leatt Dual Axis for the knees. I wear size S under street clothes but lots of riders strap the L or XL right on over jeans etc. Highest recommendation, many proven instances of protection in falls with multiple riders in our group including myself.

I run low profile Triple 8 Exoskins on my elbows, but they're sleeve-style. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, who_the said:

Leatt Dual Axis for the knees. I wear size S under street clothes but lots of riders strap the L or XL right on over jeans etc. Highest recommendation, many proven instances of protection in falls with multiple riders in our group including myself.

I run low profile Triple 8 Exoskins on my elbows, but they're sleeve-style. 

+1

I'm wearing L Leatt Dual Axis over my pants. It got 3 straps with quick release latches. Just set it once and then 5 sec each for next time

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

On the topic of elbows, I have been using the Leatt 3.0 Elbow Guards for a couple years. They slide on super easy on bare skin or over sweaters or shirtsleeves, and can fit under windbreakers or jackets with loose sleeves. They have rubber strips sewn into the underside to keep them in place. They are durable and get the job done, but are not in the same league as the Dual Axis knee guards, though. 

image.thumb.png.f311616c2955a5b9723080bbfbcf5dc4.png

8 hours ago, erk1024 said:

From that page: 

• IMPORTANT. We’ve discovered an issue with the attachment rivets popping off when in use. We have managed to reduce the rate of these defective knee pads considerably, but not yet completely. We feel very bad about it and are actively working on solutions. If you receive a defective product, contact us, and we will immediately send you a replacement unit for free. No return required.
  • Upvote 1

These have been working great for us. Really comfortable, go on/off really easily, and you can adjust them for any thickness of pants that they'll go over. Only paid $36 on Amazon.

Knee pads.PNG

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.7f1c3a2b6210407c0f393b4f589326ff.png

I have a nice pair or Leatt elbow guards, but I have big forearms (it's all that rock climbing) and even with the largest size, the material is tight on the skin. I was in a motorcycle store and saw these, and they work great. They just slide on, fully adjustable, and they fit my arms. 

https://smile.amazon.com/BILT-Charger-Off-Road-Elbow-Guards/dp/B0089GB79U/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2QJNWDK3Y5JYQ&keywords=bolt+charger+elbow+guards&qid=1560001920&s=gateway&sprefix=bilt+elbow+%2Caps%2C136&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/7/2019 at 11:28 AM, erk1024 said:

My current 8" work boots are too tall for my knee pads with shin guards. So I've been using these, and they go over clothes no problem. Snap on / snap off. 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0O7CT0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

image.thumb.png.b3762a94facbc04f2016b7bef83a0278.png

I also use those for when i’m wearing long pants, for shorts it’s not viable. they’ll keep falling off 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2019 at 11:28 AM, erk1024 said:

My current 8" work boots are too tall for my knee pads with shin guards. So I've been using these, and they go over clothes no problem. Snap on / snap off. 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0O7CT0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How well do they work at protecting your knees in a fall? I saw most of the reviewers use this mostly for putting their knees on the floor while working.

I would be leery of any knee pads that grip. You want them to slide over the ground and stay on your knees. Speaking of which, try pushing them down to your ankles after you put them on to see how well they stay put. That's a good indicator of how they might do when you take a fall at speed and slide on the pavement.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Blank said:

How well do they work at protecting your knees in a fall?

I've fallen on them a couple times, and they have quite a bit of padding--more padding than the Leatt ones I have. As long as it distributes the force of the impact.

2 hours ago, Elder Meat said:

I would be leery of any knee pads that grip.

Probably purpose built knee pads would be a good idea. I was just struggling to find ones that fit my calf and thigh muscles. I'm a beefy guy. So I'll buy the Super Big Extra Large size of some knee pad, and I can't pull it up over the calf muscle. The largest Leatt ones fit OK, but they are too long for my 8" tall boots. So the quest continues. 

6 hours ago, erk1024 said:

I was just struggling to find ones that fit my calf and thigh muscles. I'm a beefy guy. So I'll buy the Super Big Extra Large size of some knee pad, and I can't pull it up over the calf muscle. The largest Leatt ones fit OK, but they are too long for my 8" tall boots. So the quest continues. 

Stupid question, but couldn't you buy some nylon webbing at a local fabric store and splice it in? Take it to a dry cleaner that does alterations if you don't have a sewing machine. 

1 hour ago, Elder Meat said:

Stupid question, but couldn't you buy some nylon webbing at a local fabric store and splice it in? Take it to a dry cleaner that does alterations if you don't have a sewing machine. 

Possibly. I don't know if that type of lycra, stretchy fabric is that easy to work with. And if it wasn't comfortable or I couldn't make it work, then I wouldn't be able to return it. I kept thinking I could buy something that works from the get go. To be honest, the above knee pads were a stopgap while I was waiting for my ankle to finish healing up. The bottom strap of the Leatt's intersected with the injury.

Tonight I tried on the Leatt knee guards with the boots. There is a little overlap, but if the top of the boot is loose...  I think it's going to work. I'm going to try it on the next ride. 

Edited by erk1024

On 6/7/2019 at 8:28 AM, erk1024 said:

Are these grippy or smooth? I saw someone asked this question but did not get an answer. If they are smooth plastic then I would buy them for riding. If they are grippy then I would not. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, wheeliewonka said:

Are these grippy or smooth?

They're smooth'ish, but they might still slide down to you ankles in a crash. I've gone back to using my Leatt's now that my ankle is better. They stayed put in the couple times I crashed with them, but I wasn't sliding along the pavement. It was more of the wheel bogged down and I tumbled off the front.

1 hour ago, ir_fuel said:

We'll soon find out. Just ordered a pair. :D 

Those are supposed to be really good, and they look cool.

These are the LEATT ones I got, but they can't be worn under pants probably

https://www.leatt.com/shop/catalog/product/view/id/5449/s/knee-shin-guard-3-0-ext-black/category/774/

image.thumb.png.5990b73bb0795c3fdf52aab42ae9df12.png

5 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Can these be worn under pants?

I've only worn them under my rain pants which are large. You could, but only for loose pants. they aren't bulky so much, but they are very solid, and you might sweat a bit if it was room temp. I wouldn't want to. However, i bought these because you can easily put them off/on w/o removing shoes (which I hated with slip-on type); and putting them on over pants was a selling point. Also, i've gone through several pair of elbow knee (G-Form, JBL, etc) because either the velcro wears out or the material stretches over time. These babies, you adjust the velcro one time and you're done for good, from then on you just snap them on with the three straps.

Quality, comfort and a total feeling of protection check, check, and check!

(I do not own stock in Leatt :whistling:) hehe.

Edited by Hatchet