18xl Firmware Upgrading?

Vii

I've had my 18xl for about a week now.  But I haven't been able to update the firmware, as it just doesn't seem to progress in the KS app. :<

I'm on version 1.11, wheel works fine, but are there any suggestions for fixing this?  I've tried signing out/in to the app a few times.  

Edit: Fixed, had to manually start the update in settings instead of the app auto prompting it.

Edited by Vii

I had a rough time with upgrading from 1.11 to 1.12.  The only reason I was upgrading in the first place is that under 1.11 and with the latest app I couldn't get past the 40kph lock-out.  So I upgraded...

I started the update from settings screen as noted above.  It said it was updating (but not yet at the "percentage" screen and I had a spinning "waiting" type of icon/graphic (should have taken screen shots) for a couple of hours.  I let it sit for for so long because I was afraid that interrupting a firmware upgrade could brick the wheel and I'd be without it for weeks.  Eventually I rebooted the wheel and the app.

Tried again... this time I made it to the updating screen where it showed a percentage.  It was stuck a .03% for over and hour.  I rebooted everything started everything.  This time it stared to get as high as 16%, also the LEDs on the rear edge lit up white, starting at the bottom and slowly moving up.  However, every now and then the whole thing would restart on it's own from zero again, never getting higher than 16% again, that I saw.  I plugged my phone in and let it sit overnight hoping I would get lucky.

I did not, it was more of the same.  Restarted phone and wheel again.  When I restarted the wheel I had to hold the button for a while until I got a long beep and "Bluetooth Activated", but no battery indicator lights (actually, those stopped working after my first attempt to upgrade, even when I restarted, which had me concerned I'd killed me wheel).  Now, I don't know if this is coincidence or not, but my phone was warm, probably because it had been plugged in and transmitting Bluetooth all night.  I turned off my wi-fi, just just to ease the load on the phone.  Finally this time, it went straight to 100% and reported complete.

When I restarted the wheel it emitted a long continuous tone (which I think means it needed calibration, or was calibrating).  The app worked and reported the new version.  I shut it off, put it in my stand and re-calibrated again with the idea that it would be perfectly level in the stand. 

I've not taken it out yet, but it seems normal now.  I was also able to increase my speed settings.  If there are any problems when I take it for a ride I'll report them back.  Big picture... that firmware upgrade process is awful.  I'm sure I'm skipping a few variances of things I tried.  I know several times after restarting I got conflicting messages about the wheel needing and update, versus warning that an update was in progress.  I feel like I'm simply lucky that I finally got it to work.  It should never be this hard, and there should be clearer guidance.  I thought for sure that my wheel was bricked that I'd have to get support from eWheels or KingSong, and possibly ship my wheel somewhere.  I hope this helps someone else.  If you're running in to trouble don't give up, and maybe disable your Wi-Fi?

Edited by JBinBalt
  • Upvote 1

On 5/19/2019 at 5:49 PM, JBinBalt said:

I had a rough with upgrading from 1.11 to 1.12.  The only reason I was upgrading in the first place is that under 1.11 and with the latest app I couldn't get past the 40kph lock-out.  So I upgraded...

I started the update from settings screen as noted above.  It said it was updating (but not yet at the "percentage" screen and I had a spinning "waiting" type of icon/graphic (should have taken screen shots) for a couple of hours.  I let it sit for for so long because I was afraid that interrupting a firmware upgrade could brick the wheel and I'd be without it for weeks.  Eventually I rebooted the wheel and the app.

Tried again... this time I made it to the updating screen where it showed a percentage.  It was stuck a .03% for over and hour.  I rebooted everything started everything.  This time it stared to get as high as 16%, also the LEDs on the rear edge lit up white, starting at the bottom and slowly moving up.  However, every now and then the whole thing would restart on it's own from zero again, never getting higher than 16% again, that I saw.  I plugged my phone in and let it sit overnight hoping I would get lucky.

I did not, it was more of the same.  Restarted phone and wheel again.  When I restarted the wheel I had to hold the button for a while until I got a long beep and "Bluetooth Activated", but no battery indicator lights (actually, those stopped working after my first attempt to upgrade, even when I restarted, which had me concerned I'd killed me wheel).  Now, I don't know if this is coincidence or not, but my phone was warm, probably because it had been plugged in and transmitting Bluetooth all night.  I turned off my wi-fi, just just to ease the load on the phone.  Finally this time, it went straight to 100% and reported complete.

When I restarted the wheel it emitted a long continuous tone (which I think means it needed calibration, or was calibrating).  The app worked and reported the new version.  I shut it off, put it in my stand and re-calibrated again with the idea that it would be perfectly level in the stand. 

I've not taken it out yet, but it seems normal now.  I was also able to increase my speed settings.  If there are any problems when I take it for a ride I'll report them back.  Big picture... that firmware upgrade process is awful.  I'm sure I'm skipping a few variances of things I tried.  I know several times after restarting I got conflicting messages about the wheel needing and update, versus warning that an update was in progress.  I feel like I'm simply lucky that I finally got it to work.  It should never be this hard, and there should be clearer guidance.  I thought for sure that my wheel was bricked that I'd have to get support from eWheels or KingSong, and possibly ship my wheel somewhere.  I hope this helps someone else.  If you're running in to trouble don't give up, and maybe disable your Wi-Fi?

Do not forget to calibrate your wheel after upgrade !

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2019 at 7:12 AM, Topkek said:

I successfully updated.   I turned off notifications, closed all apps and just run the Kingsong app to do the firmware update.

Glad you had a smoother process than I did.  I'm still wondering weather disabling wifi was what helped me.  

On 5/19/2019 at 11:49 AM, JBinBalt said:

I had a rough time with upgrading from 1.11 to 1.12.  The only reason I was upgrading in the first place is that under 1.11 and with the latest app I couldn't get past the 40kph lock-out.  So I upgraded...

Following up, I've noticed two things since my upgrade....

1) Occasionally when trollying or having just stepped off the wheel, the motor shuts off as would be expected after lifting on the handle.  This may mean that he pressure switch for that needs adjustment, which is what most have told me.  However, the first time I ever experienced  this was within 5 minutes of riding after my upgrade, and it has happened consistently since.  I'll still probably adjust the sensor, but I wonder if software was also involved. 

2) Since updating, when I ride the platforms occasionally go soft for a second or two.  This seems to happen either on sloped terrain or just after riding off of a slope, it's like the wheel is re-leveling itself.  This also never happened pre-update and seems to happen regularly now.  It was unsettling at first, but it's a bit better now that I've become used to it.  

All in all, other than getting past the speed restriction, I preferred the earlier firmware version.  It's very possible the trolley handle issue may just be coincidental, but the platform adjustment is most likely software.  I've probably ridden somewhere north of 100 miles since upgrading, and have just over 500 miles on the wheel.

• 8 months later...
13 minutes ago, Eliran said:

Just can´t upgrade from 1.13 to 2.0. That circular graphic keeps turnin but no upgrade. Any clue? Tried on a Samsung 10+ and on a Samsung tablet.

KingSong pulled the update for the Chinese New Year, since they won't be around to offer support.

If your wheel is purchased from a proper western distributor, you can use EUC World to update the firmare. They host copies of the firmware files at their own server.

• Like 1