KS16S not charging . . . .

lqwertyd

I've had my KS16S for about a month -- maybe a little less. This week I noticed that it has stopped charging. Not sure what to do about it. I've updated the firmware, turned the thing on and off, searched for similar issues on the forums and haven't found anything. Has anyone else had this experience? 

Thanks!

Most likely a broken charger. These things aren't very high quality. Don't worry about your wheel quite yet:)

Or is there anything indicating otherwise? E.g. you can charge, but it stops at 70% or so, that would be a battery problem (do not ride a wheel with a battery problem!).

Do you have a multimeter to test the charger? (Standard warning: do not acidentally short your wheel's charge port pins with a multimeter.) Not sure how else to see if a charger still works.

Contact your seller, he should be able to help you, too (= most likely send you a new charger and then you see if that was it).

• Like 1

I've noticed that the stock charger gets unbearably hot to the touch and as a solution I blow a fan on it when I'm charging. Had the KS16s from Ewheels for over 3 months now and no issues at all with it. 

18 hours ago, lqwertyd said:

Thanks Michael. I'll send you all the information I can gather. 谢谢你!

I would recommend that you check what @meepmeepmayer mentioned first. Depending on what scenario fault you have.

If you're unable to check voltage yourself, I'm sure you know someone who could help you :)

3 hours ago, Olav said:

I would recommend that you check what @meepmeepmayer mentioned first. Depending on what scenario fault you have.

If you're unable to check voltage yourself, I'm sure you know someone who could help you :)

Thanks. I've contacted my seller (eWheels) and he's sending another charger. Says a certain number of them are defective. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/14/2019 at 5:43 AM, Micheal Shen said:

Hi, use your mobile phone to send a video to support@szkingsong.com.

1. what's the led indicator? red or green?

2. the device information of the wheel? i would like to see the voltage, serial number, battery level

3. when stop charging? 

e.g. when the battery level reach 80%, it stop charging, and the battery level isn't increaing any more

e.g. when the outout voltage reach 40V, it stop charging, and the voltage isn't increasing any more

e.g. after a small hit, the wheel don't charge. this situation may caused by the controller.

Different situation, different solutions.

Hello

Point 4 has happened to me a week ago, without notice. Now only charge up to 83%. It has one year and 2008km. We tested the batteries and one is fine, but the other is not. I don't understand how it's happened with so little use, one of the batteries has failed a cell. Should I change a battery alone? Is there a problem shooting with it only to 80% battery? I guess if I assume power and autonomy are reduced, I shouldn't have any problems. True?

4 hours ago, Pablo Fazero said:

Hello

Point 4 has happened to me a week ago, without notice. Now only charge up to 83%. It has one year and 2008km. We tested the batteries and one is fine, but the other is not. I don't understand how it's happened with so little use, one of the batteries has failed a cell. Should I change a battery alone? Is there a problem shooting with it only to 80% battery? I guess if I assume power and autonomy are reduced, I shouldn't have any problems. True?

So the charger is working fine and delivers enough output voltage?

Then most presumably at this one pack some cells are bad. Or the cells of the pack are "just" badly misbalanced.

Either way, it not only reduces autonomy but every safety margin - so faceplants are more likely.

If the cells are already aged and bad, the risk for fire goes up, too.

Edit: and going on using this pack will "quite quickly" depriciate/age the misbalanced cells, because they are discharged too low everytime which is "very stressfull" for the cells.

Edited by Chriull

• 10 months later...

Could use some advice/help. I have had my ks 14M for 2 months now, I just realized why it was going slow and forcing my pedals in the brake position, its low on power. When i plug it in the green light on the charger is staying green as apposed to turning red as if it were charging. I metered the output voltage on the charger at 51 volts and the specd output voltage reads it should be 67 volts so I’m assuming it’s bad? If anyone knows how to figure out what could be wrong and how to potentially fix it I would be most appreciative. I have a new charger on the way but I guess it may be a lengthy wait and I’m jonsing for a ride lol. Thx all sean

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/18/2020 at 2:38 AM, vikingbl00d said:

I metered the output voltage on the charger at 51 volts and the specd output voltage reads it should be 67 volts so I’m assuming it’s bad?

Definitely!

On 5/18/2020 at 2:38 AM, vikingbl00d said:

If anyone knows how to figure out what could be wrong and how to potentially fix it I would be most appreciative.

Your charger has already a quite high deviation - could be something broken.

But some/many/most chargers can be adjusted: 

be carefull with mains voltages! Charger coupd still contain high voltages after beeing unplugged!