Gasmantle

Which wheel have you got and do you like it?

3 hours ago, PogArt Artur said:

You'll definitely see the size difference, compared your 14" to my E+ 16", and @stephen's 19" MSX  :)

PS.; I tried book good weather for Friday, but my app's forecasting the rain!?

@stephen !!! It's not my fault ! I've been cheated !!! :)

Looking forward to Friday ,,(no rain on my BBC weather app just dull) .

So we've got a 14 ,16,19" wheels , are you brave enough to try my msx  R2😊

The weather this week is sun sun sun is just Friday there's no sun 😂

I'm going to Blackpool mon tues and wed it's going to be a scorcher .. Ordered by me 😂

See ya Friday guys

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, stephen said:

I'm going to Blackpool mon tues and wed it's going to be a scorcher .. Ordered by me 😂

See ya Friday guys

I'm not sure I'd want to ride another wheel just yet but I'm looking forward to seeing the other sizes side by side. There's a possibility I may want to upgrade once I have a bit more experience so it will be useful to see other wheels - it's all very well looking at reviews on youtube but you can't beat seeing something in the flesh :)

Enjoy your trip to Blackpool but stay clear of the trams :lol:

Edited by Gasmantle

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, tenofnine said:

I feel like I've seen this same reaction when some people talk about sex, etc. Like they think people are overrating it or that it's not really THAT good....this is a shame, but I understand everyone has a different mindset.

Very good point. I like the example.

@Altaire. maybe your EUC of choice is not the right partner for you. Certainly happens in the analogy example. ;)

However I do appreciate your honesty. In a forum based on a shared like of the hobby it's easy for everyone to be rose-tinted about just how great it is. Conversely, respect to the peeps here since I think no one has poo-pooed the notion that it might not be for everyone. 

Edited by rinzler
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, stephen said:

See ya Friday guys

So both of you have already confirmed,that there's NO RAIN this Friday ... :)

What's wrong with my forecast then?

Is it showing Polish weather instead?

hahahahaaa :)

No, I won't be ready ever @stephen :) to try yours MSX !!!

@Gasmantle is doing quick progress so far, so he might be braver :)

Me?... Next year maybe ... :) hahahaaa 

If I go to Blackpool as I promised ? :) ... lol :)

• Like 1

On 5/12/2019 at 12:12 AM, Gasmantle said:

I realise there is a review section in the forum but thought it may be useful to know what which wheel other riders have and very briefly what they think of it. If it's an upgrade to an earlier wheel what did you have and how does the new one compare?

I'm a newbie to this game and only recently bought my first wheel - an Inmotion V5F. So far I like it but think the footplates are maybe a bit on the small size. I haven't yet seen any other wheels in the flesh but meeting up with a couple of forum members this week so looking forward to comparing my wheel against others.

Own an InMotion V5F:
This was my first wheel; I bought it used for $300.  Great for learning, nimble as a minx.  Once I was able to ride on the street I found it couldn't handle the hills in my neighborhood.  So...

Own an InMotion V10F:
This is my second and preferred wheel.  I agonized over the purchase of my first "big" wheel like EUC Hamlet, and some wise members of this forum helped me out a lot.  It suits my needs nicely, which are city riding for errands and whatnot, recreational bike path blazing and light commuting.  Handles the hills and potholes perfectly.

I'll probably sell my V5F in a few weeks.  It served its purpose admirably and will hopefully bewitch another rider soon!

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, rinzler said:

Very good point. I like the example.

@Altaire. maybe your EUC of choice is not the right partner for you. Certainly happens in the analogy example. ;)

However I do appreciate your honesty. In a forum based on a shared like of the hobby it's easy for everyone to be rose-tinted about just how great it is. Conversely, respect to the peeps here since I think no one has poo-pooed the notion that it might not be for everyone. 

Its entirely possible a more expensive or capable unicycle would give me a different experience, but i don't feel like it's going to be night and day. In my case i just wanted to try a unicycle to see if i liked it or not and was only interested in spending the minimum investment i could to find out. It's fun, I'm not saying it was a waste of money, it just doesn't seem like something that's going to be a life changer for me in any way. I feel like based on the number of stories ive read the risk of bodily damage isn't really that worth the experience to me, and again, i can't comfortably take it to a store or restaurant and just do my thing, it's like going travelling and having to drag your luggage bag with you the whole time, it's troublesome. I prefer my bike as an entertainment and a transit option. That could change though, i guess I'll see lol

49 minutes ago, Altaire. said:

Its entirely possible a more expensive or capable unicycle would give me a different experience, but i don't feel like it's going to be night and day. In my case i just wanted to try a unicycle to see if i liked it or not and was only interested in spending the minimum investment i could to find out. It's fun, I'm not saying it was a waste of money, it just doesn't seem like something that's going to be a life changer for me in any way. I feel like based on the number of stories ive read the risk of bodily damage isn't really that worth the experience to me, and again, i can't comfortably take it to a store or restaurant and just do my thing, it's like going travelling and having to drag your luggage bag with you the whole time, it's troublesome. I prefer my bike as an entertainment and a transit option. That could change though, i guess I'll see lol

I had the exact same plan going in, and also bought a V5F.

i loved it though, and it’s massively helped my depression - it’s got me out of the house, exploring woodland - not shut away.

what I’m saying is I get it - if I hated it I’d have totally sold it. I love road cycling but my knee is fucked so I don’t have that option anymore.

enjoy :)

I have an 18xl and I like it a lot. I also have a 16s and I like it a lot too, but I have a 14c  that I do not like it all. It's too small and the pedals are uncomfortable, and I don't like how it's axle is broken :D 

• Like 1

On 5/12/2019 at 12:12 AM, Gasmantle said:

I realise there is a review section in the forum but thought it may be useful to know what which wheel other riders have and very briefly what they think of it. If it's an upgrade to an earlier wheel what did you have and how does the new one compare?

nj1EBRe.jpg

• Like 2

I spent way too long researching and way too little time riding! My requirements were:

1. Must be able to cruise at 18+MPH (29KPH). I ride an electric skateboard around that speed and it's comfortable for me to "run it out" if I need to.
  2. Must be ~40 pounds (18kg) or less so I can easily lug it onto the train or bus.
  3. Needs to handle my geared-up weight; with backpack, gear, & clothing, I weigh about 240 pounds.
  4. Not the "first try" of a given wheel size for a company. Ideally they'd have one or two releases under their belts to work out the problems.
  5. Decent trolley handle or other means of pushing the thing around when I can't ride it on my multi-modal commute.
  6. Good reliability record; I don't want to fully "gear up" for every ride, and I'd like to have as few skinned knees as possible. I get plenty of those on my longboard...
  7. Modest off-road capability. I'm pretty much stuck to roads on my road bike & my longboard; I'd like something I could use to explore the numerous dirt trails in the hills near my home.

Narrowed it down to the KingSong KS-16S, Inmotion V10F, or Gotway MCM5, or Gotway Tesla   Found a good deal on a used silver KS-16S locally in April 2019 from a guy who recently relocated to my city from Canada, had left it in storage for months after failing to learn how to ride it on the carpet in his house, and said he'd bought it on Canadian Amazon and just wanted it to go to someone who'd ride it. My kids and I dropped it a ton, chewed up the pads, dinged up the case, and had a great time learning together over the past six weeks.

But it rode a little "weird". Tried to calibrate it. The Kingsong app wanted me to upgrade firmware from 1.07 to 1.09. It bricked itself with "illegal serial number", and the seller went silent when I told him about the problem. KingSong refused to help me with the problem and told me to take it to my dealer. Since I'd bought it used, I didn't actually have a "dealer". I asked a local dealer if I could throw some money at him to help me out.  $110 later, I now have a local "dealer" who's plugged me into the local EUC community, and a working KingSong KS-16S updated to firmware 1.09.  The wheel had been registered in someone else's name in Canada and they had not "unbounded" the wheel prior to me trying to register it; this triggered the "illegal serial number" issue requiring dealer service.

Overall, I'm very happy with the wheel. It's smooth, stable, fast enough for my needs and to keep up with my local longboarding and e-skate crew. I'm very unhappy with the manufacturer's support of buyers in the USA, and fear for the day that I need to update my wheel again: will it go back to riding at max 12MPH and beeping constantly the next time I update it?

If I could turn back time, I'd just save up another hundred bucks and buy one new from a local dealer. Other than that, though, I'm loving it!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Altaire. said:

I actually have a similar thought process to you. However I went the other in my purchase journey. I did plan on buying used but after seeing a used v5 go for £600+ I started to look at new. 

I saw EUCs in around 2015. But dismissed them as I had concluded an escooter was a better fit for me: low weight, easy to ride, portable. Chucking it into a bag made it even more discreet and i have often had it under tables in more average restaurants. 

I agree with @Altaire. about shopping and 'just doing my thing'. I made a custom carry strap for my escooter which allowed me to throw it on my shoulder. At 9kg it is no drama and helps being hands-free. 

I do forsee the lack of a trolley stand as a big problem when out and about. I known the Tesla can lie on it's back but the slightest nudge will see you $1k+ device take tumble. No thanks! I hope to resolve this with a custom built stand. 

20kg+ is ultimately unwieldy for most people and I do think this will massively impact how much I enjoy eucing. 

When i go places i like to travel light. My escooter required nothing. No helmet, wrist guards. My euc... before I even done a mile. Body armour, wrist guards, knee pads, bike helmet likely change of footwear/top. Hardly travelling light! More importantly none of this fear factor for doing somethingthat is supposed to be fun...

it's like going travelling and having to drag your luggage bag with you the whole time

This is my biggest concern. I hate that feeling! 

It must be said though my primary use case os as a commuter vehicle. Less 'sports hobby '. If I had access to our California friends long stretches of smooth tarmac and low volume of traffic/people (and weather) then perhaps I'd see it as something fun. 

This last point was also how i landed with the Tesla. One wheel. That's all i need. The desire for larger and larger, longer and longer range (both meaning heavier and heavier) is something that has never interested me. I think a lot of this is environmental. Where i am there just isn't that type of space for enjoying it like so.

Time will tell how if it was a successful idea or not.

I've got a Segway S1 and a KingSong 18xl. I love the xl. The segway was good for its purpose as a trial wheel that I could afford. I love how comfortable it is to ride the KS18xl. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NylahTay said:

I've got a Segway S1 and a KingSong 18xl. I love the xl. The segway was good for its purpose as a trial wheel that I could afford. I love how comfortable it is to ride the KS18xl. 

Does the high pitch whining of the 18XL bothers you sometimes?

2 minutes ago, NylahTay said:

It really is night and day, almost like it's a whole 'nother type of vehicle.

I've gone from a 14 inch to a thin 16 inch and finally to the Tesla (cushy  wider 16 inch), when I compare them back to back on the same route the Tesla feels like riding on a cloud. I do like the physicality of the V5F 14" but just cruising and feeling super stable/confident on the Tesla is sooooo good for long unpredictable trips.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kens said:

Not really, but that could be due to my motorcycle helmet muffling the sound. lol

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Kens said:

I was afraid it would but really it’s not that bad. Much quieter than 16S. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Kens said:

Getting older (like a lot of our folks here) reduces hearability of higher frequencies I think. Maybe I'm OK with my KS wheel therefore?:innocent1:

Edited by Mimetic Polyalloy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mimetic Polyalloy said:

Getting older (like a lot of folks here) reduces hearability of higher frequencies I think. Maybe I'm OK with my KS wheel therefore?:innocent1:

Yeah, I can't really hear mine at all. Only if I ride past a concrete fence at just the right speed :D 

1 hour ago, tenofnine said:

the Tesla feels like riding on a cloud. I do like the physicality of the V5F 14" but just cruising and feeling super stable/confident on the Tesla is sooooo good for long unpredictable trips.

I hope i get this feeling! (Was it instant or worked up to?  Like maybe once you learnt the characteristics of the wheel)

On 5/13/2019 at 3:39 AM, PogArt Artur said:

I've heard opposite @Gasmantle..?

I remember somebody was saying, the smaller wheel is better to control at very slow (walking) speed..?

The bigger the wheel, the more speed is welcome - but obviously I might be very wrong.

I can go pedestrian's speed on my 16", what I'm often doing, because people usually don't bother to give me way...

So I'm rolling close behind in waiting for enough gap to pass, or if I'm inpatient, I'm politely asking if they don't mind to let me go... :)

Me too.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, NylahTay said:

Not really, but that could be due to my motorcycle helmet muffling the sound. lol

Actually in Shenzhen, there are EUC courses in two or three primary schools, aim to excersize children's balancing ability. Also children can try many pose that Adult can't, lots of fun :)

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, rinzler said:

I hope i get this feeling! (Was it instant or worked up to?  Like maybe once you learnt the characteristics of the wheel)

Both at the same time. I just had to get used to a wider stance since the Tesla is thicc, but after that I was accidentally going 18-20 mph without even noticing it and it felt safe, but still thrilling. Then of course I had to push is to 22-25 mph and I was giggling to myself like a mad man (I could feel the gyroscopic force of the wheel making the Tesla more stable). 

I was surprised the Tesla still felt so nimble to me, I only notice a small difference and haven't scraped the pedals once doing tight turns and tricks (something I was worried about). Also the weight diff was barely noticeable to me (42 pounds from 26.5 lbs), I actually weighed it to make sure I didn't get a smaller battery capacity version sold as a 1020Wh. Nope it is the 1020Wh version (weighed 41.8 lbs) just feels like 30-32 lbs to me, that's a plus. I think it's a testament to how it's built and the weight is distributed but my Ninebot One E+ actually feels heavier since it has that bad handle, it only weighs 31.5 pounds.

Edited by tenofnine
  • Upvote 1

My 16s feels like I could throw it like a frisbee after using my 18xl for a while. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Size comparison for you:

InMotion V10F - 48 pounds
InMotion V5F - 28 pounds

IMG_5100_edited-1.jpg

• Upvote 2