Which wheel have you got and do you like it?

Gasmantle

I realise there is a review section in the forum but thought it may be useful to know what which wheel other riders have and very briefly what they think of it. If it's an upgrade to an earlier wheel what did you have and how does the new one compare?

I'm a newbie to this game and only recently bought my first wheel - an Inmotion V5F. So far I like it but think the footplates are maybe a bit on the small size. I haven't yet seen any other wheels in the flesh but meeting up with a couple of forum members this week so looking forward to comparing my wheel against others.

• Upvote 1

I just got my v5f a week or two ago and I'm just getting to the point where i can ride it around the neighborhood without falling or dropping it so i don't feel like i can say much about it. I think the experience of riding one is kind of overblown. They're heavy and cumbersome and there's no way to park it anywhere and they're too expensive to worry about leaving anywhere especially if you have a 2 or 3 thousand dollar wheel. I don't feel like it's worth it for the price, even at the 600 i paid. I honestly prefer riding my road bike. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Altaire. said:

I just got my v5f a week or two ago and I'm just getting to the point where i can ride it around the neighborhood without falling or dropping it so i don't feel like i can say much about it. I think the experience of riding one is kind of overblown. They're heavy and cumbersome and there's no way to park it anywhere and they're too expensive to worry about leaving anywhere especially if you have a 2 or 3 thousand dollar wheel. I don't feel like it's worth it for the price, even at the 600 i paid. I honestly prefer riding my road bike. 

Sorry to hear that. My experience was just the opposite. I learned on a KS18, then sold it since I thought at my age I should switch to something more suitable. But I got hooked and will be me a new one soon. I sometimes dreamt of flying and considered hang gliding. Riding a EUC is as close as it can get.

I find the feeling of EUC the closest I’ve had to flying, and after 1500km still make me laugh on my own. Done bike, unicycle, moped, e-kickscooter, rollerblades, ice skates, ski before that.

To return to topic, here are my mini reviews:

Ninebot S2, first wheel, super pleasant and fun, slick look, only lacks a trolley. 14” is a bit tiresome on uneven ground. (Love = high)

Ninebot E+: got it very cheap, cool for the price but feeling a bit old and had less torque than the S2 (love = mid low) 

KS16S: love the range and torque, but wheel feels a bit chunky and old school due to the battery covers (feet on outer edge of pedal). Rides like a powerful E+. (Love = medium)

Edited by Mimolette

I got an MSX. Only ridden it for about 360km so far, coming from a Ks16C. I love the wheel, but I had some knee-pain early on, but I decided it was more a conditionning thing, like how my shins have a spot with no hair on them now, my knees don't ache nearly as soon, nor do my feet. Safe to say I still have some way to go before this wheel is the extension of my body that my previous wheel was, but I don't mind. Love riding it. the weather's been fairly cold, but I recently started taking it to work, and my colleagues often ask me about it. one even bought my old wheel off me and is hooked now. Some of the best money I've spent on a free-time hobby, for sure.

Edited by Issah
More text.

4 hours ago, Altaire. said:

This is somewhat my experience with smaller wheels as well, which is why I recommend buying an 18 incher right off the bat.

14 inchers are great for last mile transportation where you usually leave the wheel in the car or bring it onto the metro.

18 inchers are true bicycle replacements, but with a speed uphill no bicyclists can match. 18 inchers are true vehicles in ways 14 inchers aren't.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Dan the Man said:

Sorry to hear that. My experience was just the opposite. I learned on a KS18, then sold it since I thought at my age I should switch to something more suitable. But I got hooked and will be me a new one soon. I sometimes dreamt of flying and considered hang gliding. Riding a EUC is as close as it can get.

I don't get the flying comparison, i just feel like I'm riding a less stable bike without the leg workout more or less. But im gonna keep at it at least until I'm stable on it i just don't see why i would practically use it to go anywhere when i have to drag it around with me everywhere whereas the bike i can just park and lock anywhere. Plus one time i was riding it through dirt and it lurched forward and almost threw me off twice. Haven't felt that safe on it either

Just now, LanghamP said:

This is somewhat my experience with smaller wheels as well, which is why I recommend buying an 18 incher right off the bat.

14 inchers are great for last mile transportation where you usually leave the wheel in the car or bring it onto the metro.

18 inchers are true bicycle replacements, but with a speed uphill no bicyclists can match. 18 inchers are true vehicles in ways 14 inchers aren't.

How are the 18 and 14 different? 

started off with a KS16S, good beginner wheel, but if i had to do it all over again,

the minimum spec i recommend is

>1kWh pack size

>45kph/28mph speed

>1500W (cont)/3000W (peak)

brand doesn't really matter tbh, kingsong, gotway, inmotion are all good. I have both the Tesla and KS18L and are great, Tesla is probably the best for short distances as its far more maneuverable, KS18L for rougher terrain or trails.  

Edited by PotatoInside
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Altaire. said:

I don't get the flying comparison, i just feel like I'm riding a less stable bike without the leg workout more or less. But im gonna keep at it at least until I'm stable on it i just don't see why i would practically use it to go anywhere when i have to drag it around with me everywhere whereas the bike i can just park and lock anywhere. Plus one time i was riding it through dirt and it lurched forward and almost threw me off twice. Haven't felt that safe on it either

I feel like I've seen this same reaction when some people talk about sex, etc. Like they think people are overrating it or that it's not really THAT good....this is a shame, but I understand everyone has a different mindset.

So ok maybe EUCs aren't for you, or maybe you just need a bit more time. I started on the V5F and within a day I was finding excuses to go anywhere with it and learn new tricks. I was hooked, no pain except on long rides where I drain the battery completely, and it felt like a part of me (like it could read my mind).

Now I have a Tesla and let me tell you around the 21-22 mph threshold you feel a new sensation. You hear the wheel kick into "high gear" like a rail gun charging up for it's next shot and you definitely feel like you are flying if you didn't before The gyroscopic effect of the wheel spinning that fast gives you this extra amount of stability that makes it feel like you are on a solid platform or a little cloud. 17-18 mph is my current sweet-spot for chill cruising and getting that good feeling, the V5F could never reach that but it is was fun in other ways (don't plan on selling it).

??? The V5F only weighs 26 pounds....lugging it around? The trolley is great, you can rest it against yourself or a counter to free up both hands. You can put it in a shopping cart bottom if you're shopping etc. Hell you could leave it outside.....whose going to ride away on it? If they try and pawn it it's not a very common item would be very easy to track down after filing a report (whether they list it online or offline). Plus the V5F has a strong handle, just lock it up outside, it's waterproof as well (in case you are worried about rain).

Oh and to get back to the topic I also have a NB1E+, plan on selling it or giving it to people to learn. Smooth wheel but it's software is way too limiting to the point I feel it's unsafe, and the pedal dip is quite bad. Plus it's too heavy for what it can do, no trolley just a weird flip out handle that breaks easily. Also shoddy work on the battery compartments, they are prone to rubbing and scraping damage which is very unsafe.

Edited by tenofnine
  • Like 1

Guest PogArt Artur
10 hours ago, Gasmantle said:

I realise there is a review section in the forum but thought it may be useful to know what which wheel other riders have and very briefly what they think of it. If it's an upgrade to an earlier wheel what did you have and how does the new one compare?

I'm a newbie to this game and only recently bought my first wheel - an Inmotion V5F. So far I like it but think the footplates are maybe a bit on the small size. I haven't yet seen any other wheels in the flesh but meeting up with a couple of forum members this week so looking forward to comparing my wheel against others.

You'll definitely see the size difference, compared your 14" to my E+ 16", and @stephen's 19" MSX  :)

PS.; I tried book good weather for Friday, but my app's forecasting the rain!?

@stephen !!! It's not my fault ! I've been cheated !!! :)

3 hours ago, Altaire. said:

Hi Altaire, it's a shame you are disappointed in the wheel - I have the same model and enjoy mine but I have had one or 2 painful falls that dented my confidence a bit. As for dragging it around with you, have you got a trolley handle fitted? I think they are pretty much essential and should come fitted as standard, it seems a bit of a con expecting people to pay extra for one.

PogArt Artur the forecast I looked at suggests it will be dry on Friday :)

Guest PogArt Artur
9 minutes ago, Gasmantle said:

Hi Altaire, it's a shame you are disappointed in the wheel - I have the same model and enjoy mine but I have had one or 2 painful falls that dented my confidence a bit. As for dragging it around with you, have you got a trolley handle fitted? I think they are pretty much essential and should come fitted as standard, it seems a bit of a con expecting people to pay extra for one.

PogArt Artur the forecast I looked at suggests it will be dry on Friday :)

I'm sorry to hear of your falls @Gasmantle , I've managed to avoid falls so far, but I know they may come unexpectedly at any time...

I'm getting more confident getting on the kerbs recently...

So I'm expecting to fall off every time and then...

I've noticed,some of the kerbs aren't that much raised, so I'm choosing to get on at the spot, where they seem a bit less raised, if that's making a sense...

Some of the kerbs seems to be even higher than usually, so I'm avoiding to deal with them at all  :)

PS.; I prefer to follow your app then ! :)

@stephen will kill me, if it'll rain , lol :)

823467391_Screenshot_20190512-190728_3Dflipclockweather.thumb.jpg.558b9956228255bbeaabeb3ccf208eed.jpg

Edited by PogArt Artur

The V5F may very well be too light, weak, slow, meek for some. It would be for me. More of a toy and less of a serious, powerful vehicle. Try an 18 incher if you get the opportunity. Stable, smooth, fast, serious. Completely different.

I'm happy with my 16 inch ACM. Very powerful, and tank-like stability. For most rides an 18 incher would be better, but for mountains I want the torque. It's also fun to have a more lively, reactive wheel.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

The V5F may very well be too light, weak, slow, meek for some. It would be for me. More of a toy and less of a serious, powerful vehicle. Try an 18 incher if you get the opportunity. Stable, smooth, fast, serious. Completely different.

I'm happy with my 16 inch ACM. Very powerful, and tank-like stability. For most rides an 18 incher would be better, but for mountains I want the torque. It's also fun to have a more lively, reactive wheel.

I did a bunch of riding on my ACM yesterday. I really need to remember to ride this wheel more. It's such a sweet handling and fun wheel with endless power :thumbup:

33 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

The V5F may very well be too light, weak, slow, meek for some. It would be for me. More of a toy and less of a serious, powerful vehicle. Try an 18 incher if you get the opportunity. Stable, smooth, fast, serious. Completely different..

Thanks, at the moment I'm still very much a learner ( I can ride but still a bit erratic) so my V5F is probably powerful enough for now but once I've gotten a couple of months experience and can ride with more confidence I'd like to upgrade.

Are larger wheels generally more stable a slow speeds than smaller ones? I find with my 14" it's a challenge to control at a slow speed, I've no doubt a lot of that is my inexperience but I do wonder if a larger wheel would be easier to ride.

Guest PogArt Artur
9 minutes ago, Gasmantle said:

Thanks, at the moment I'm still very much a learner ( I can ride but still a bit erratic) so my V5F is probably powerful enough for now but once I've gotten a couple of months experience and can ride with more confidence I'd like to upgrade.

Are larger wheels generally more stable a slow speeds than smaller ones? I find with my 14" it's a challenge to control at a slow speed, I've no doubt a lot of that is my inexperience but I do wonder if a larger wheel would be easier to ride.

I've heard opposite @Gasmantle..?

I remember somebody was saying, the smaller wheel is better to control at very slow (walking) speed..?

The bigger the wheel, the more speed is welcome - but obviously I might be very wrong.

I can go pedestrian's speed on my 16", what I'm often doing, because people usually don't bother to give me way...

So I'm rolling close behind in waiting for enough gap to pass, or if I'm inpatient, I'm politely asking if they don't mind to let me go... :)

Edited by PogArt Artur

14 minutes ago, PogArt Artur said:

I've heard opposite @Gasmantle..?

I remember somebody was saying, the smaller wheel is better to control at very slow (walking) speed..?

The bigger the wheel, the more speed is welcome - but obviously I might be very wrong.

I can go pedestrian's speed on my 16", what I'm often doing, because people usually don't bother to give me way...

So I'm rolling close behind in waiting for enough gap to pass, or if I'm inpatient, I'm politely asking if they don't mind to let me go... :)

Thanks, it will be interesting to compare wheels on Friday. I don't know of anyone else who has one so I have nothing to compare mine with.

I find the 14" is very maneouverable but once I'm at walking pace it's difficult to ride in a straight line - a lot of that is down to my inexperience though.

9 hours ago, Altaire. said:

I have a V5F and I’ve been riding a little over a month.

I’m feeling limited by the wheel and I’ll be upgrading to an msuper x soon - a V5F couldn’t really replace a road bike.

As a form of transport I love the concept - and once you’re riding it loose and carving, it’s fun - but you really need a bigger wheel to make it a legit vehicle.

• Upvote 1

Stability comes from the rotating motor/tire and the angular momentum. It's greater on big wheels and at speed.

I'd say at low speeds, mostly tire width matters for stability, the bigger wheels tend to have wider tires. No big difference in angular momentum. Maybe a certain shell is more ergonomic to keep upright than the other (wider stance, higher, or lighter, whatever), but smaller wheels are more easily twistable and maneuverable (lower weight and momentum, more torque).

Edited by meepmeepmayer
English
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, HippoPig said:

I have a V5F and I’ve been riding a little over a month.

I’m feeling limited by the wheel and I’ll be upgrading to an msuper x soon - a V5F couldn’t really replace a road bike.

I find with my V5F the lack of power is noticeable on grass (I did most of my learning on grass) on tarmac it's probably fast enough for my current skill level but as soon as I go on grass the performance really nosedives. I'd assume a more powerful wheel will cope with softer ground without such a significant drop in speed.

I have V10. Really happy with it.

Range is ok for my 12km commute. Pedals are superb and the ride is smooth. I don't care going faster than 30km/h.

And no tilt back surprises! I hated ninebot tilt back, scared the shit out of me few times when going down hill.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Guest PogArt Artur
2 minutes ago, Gasmantle said:

Thanks, it will be interesting to compare wheels on Friday. I don't know of anyone else who has one so I have nothing to compare mine with.

I find the 14" is very maneouverable but once I'm at walking pace it's difficult to ride in a straight line - a lot of that is down to my inexperience though.

You're probably right...

It might be down to your experience/skills matter?

I were having very difficult time the other day, while trying to learn getting on kerbs...

I did it eventually, but after lots of efforts...

Now I'm getting on kerbs kind of naturally?

Last week I did dare to try, while going to work, I've managed...

Since then I'm just getting on kerbs, but I'm trying to lower the risk of falling off, so I'm picking up the lower kerbs if possible, usually when I look at the pavement's edge of kerbs, I can pick up the lowered one, so I'm getting on that one then  :)

I think everything is improving in the right time @Gasmantle :)

So just not rush it, it will come to you, as it came to me :)

42 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Stability comes from the rotating motor/tire and the angular momentum. It's greater on big wheels and at speed.

I'd say at low speeds, mostly tire width matters for stability, the bigger wheels tend to have wider tires. No big difference in angular momentum. Maybe a certain shell is more ergonomic to keep upright than the other (wider stance, higher, or lighter, whatever), but smaller wheels are more easily twistable and maneuverable (lower weight and momentum, more torque).

Slow speeds as in slow but still moving forward, or slow as in stopped, then inching forward (and back)?

You can go extremely slow on a big wheel, but once stopped it's hard to balance, twist it, or do yoyos. With smaller wheels they might be less stable, but their high pressure tires allow them to twist, and their instant on power allows yoyos.

It seems slow speed handling is a wash between them. They go slow in very different ways. However, I do think once you can go backwards by even the smallest amount, then your slow speed ability is practically 2-wheeled hoverboard.

Last week I did manage to ride my wheel to a door, put key in door, open and go through door. That only took like six or more months of practice.

• Upvote 2