summer gear....

I got this one: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/merlin-hamlin-kevlar-hoody

merlin_hamlin_zip_up_hoody100_kevlar_bla

100% Dupont™ Kevlar® protective lining throughout with removable shoulder, elbow and back insert (Upgradeable to D3O inserts).

It just a tad big for me even with the SM size but with helmet I think my proportion even out :laughbounce2:

Surprising airy while riding above 15mph~

Edited by Kens
Forgot the link
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, yourtoys7 said:

sure looks good, but for summer I/ we need air flow, lol

looks good, but protection is most important, ha ha.....

What kind of armor is the shoulder and elbow protectors? Is it only foam or foam + hard shell?

My jacket only have pockets for foam or D3O inserts only so I can upgrade up to CE lvl 2 like this:

41pZmQEtZSL.jpg

Hard shell is better for sliding but I cannot find any hoodie like jacket that have D3O + hard shell armors.. :(

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My summer attire is going to be: 

Fox Proframe full face helmet 

Flexmaster double sides d30 wrist guard (w ewheels wrist guards if its to hot for the full one) 

POC Joint VPD 2.0 elbow pads

troy lee designs d30 knee pads 

Shorts and tshirt :) 

Edited by prasket
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 5/10/2019 at 8:00 PM, Kens said:

What kind of armor is the shoulder and elbow protectors? Is it only foam or foam + hard shell?

My jacket only have pockets for foam or D3O inserts only so I can upgrade up to CE lvl 2 like this:

41pZmQEtZSL.jpg

Hard shell is better for sliding but I cannot find any hoodie like jacket that have D3O + hard shell armors.. :(

How exactly do you think you’re going to slide when the hoodie material is OVER top the hard shell or soft shell? It doesn’t matter, what matters is whether it’s textile or leather that contacts the pavement; the pavement won’t see the hard or soft shell armor 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

How exactly do you think you’re going to slide when the hoodie material is OVER top the hard shell or soft shell? It doesn’t matter, what matters is whether it’s textile or leather that contacts the pavement; the pavement won’t see the hard or soft shell armor 

I don't think it matters too much here.

Where you definitely want pure sliding is with the wrist guards/palm pads, so you don't break any arm bones or ruin your shoulder from the first impact. Shoulders and elbows, I think a little bit more or less sliding in a crash is much less momentous (right word?).

But I'm a medium speed guy and you seem to be a high speed guy. Maybe at 45+kph, shoulder and elbow sliding does matter, you might know better.

6 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I don't think it matters too much here.

Where you definitely want pure sliding is with the wrist guards/palm pads, so you don't break any arm bones or ruin your shoulder from the first impact. Shoulders and elbows, I think a little bit more or less sliding in a crash is much less momentous (right word?).

But I'm a medium speed guy and you seem to be a high speed guy. Maybe at 45+kph, shoulder and elbow sliding does matter, you might know better.

What I’m saying is the armor is beneath the textile or leather clothing. Unlike with wrist guards where the hard skid plate makes the contact with the ground. 

It would be like wearing gloves covering the wrist guard and still hoping your palms can slide. 

• Upvote 1

That's how I meant it:) The cloth cover will impede the sliding until it's been worn away or you stop. I just don't think that this is nearly as important for elbows and shoulders as it is for the hands where you definitely absolutely want all the sliding you can get and wearing anything over the wrist guards would be extremely bad.

But I never did try a high speed crash;)

it all depends how you fall, when I think about falling I wanna brake the fall with fist side/ elbow/ shoulder.... landing just on your wrist your risk braking it. Judging from damage to my bike jacket, It ripped at elbow/ shoulder. I've watched videos how to brake a fall vs just on your hands, but we all fall different, this just worked for me that time at 48km/h.

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Shoulders and elbows, I think a little bit more or less sliding in a crash

I more or less agree about the shoulders, but not the elbows. Then again, everyone falls differently. Falling with your arm extended at an outward angle (exaggerated example here) is very different than at an inward angle. Possibly because I've dislocated my shoulder twice and know what shoulder hyper-extension can do, I always (instinctively) extend my arm inward, with my  palm in front of my face. When my palm hits the pavement and slides (thank god for the wrist guards---even these cheep ones I'm using do the trick), my arm extends diagonally, towards the opposite side (with the added advantage that my arm protects my face & head), and my elbow is always the second thing to hit the ground. Since it's the outside of my elbow guard that hits the ground and slides, this always initiates a sideways roll, so the side of my knee, my hip/ass and side (right below my ribs) end up in contact with the pavement too. My shoulder has never come into contact with the pavement (I'm guessing I try to raise my upper body while sliding to protect my head...but it's hard to say...these things happen so fast...). Then again, but my scapula has, so because of the way I fall, my shoulder probably could too.

What's saved me every time has been the hard plastic plates on my wrist, knee and elbow guards. Nothing reduces impact like good old-fashion plates sliding on the pavement. On that note, I'd like to emphasize the word pavement. I had a spill on a dirt track the other day while off-roading with the 18XL. I was probably going somewhere around 25 km/h. Got distracted for a split second, hit a rock and went flying. My wrist-guards did their job well, despite the ruggedness of the ground, but my right elbow guard ended up right under my armpit. :efee612b4b: It must have gotten caught on a/some small pointy rock(s), and wasn't able to slide. Got a nasty scrape on my elbow, as well as a contusion (so the elbow guard must have gotten "stuck" the minute it hit the ground, so no impact protection in this instance...). I was wearing a long-sleeved shirt so it got ripped in the elbow area, as did the back right pocket of my jeans (I'm starting to see what you meant, meep, when I first joined the forum and was asking about protective gear, and you mentioned the cost of wrecked clothing...).

So my conclusion (aside from the fact I need to be more vigilant and tune down the over-confidence a few notches), is that for off-roading, traditional, strap-on, skate-style knee and elbow guards don't cut it. It's easy for them to get caught on something and fail to slide/do their job. So for off-roading, MC equipment seems better suited. I'm not sure the hoodies above would be of much use off-road either....I can easily imagine the sleeve sliding up and getting all bunched up above one's elbow...

I considered getting a MC jacket this winter, more out of convenience than anything else (not having to put on elbow pads), but ended up deciding it wasn't worth spending money on a MC jacket just to save myself 20". After my first off-road fall, I may have changed my mind. The abrasion protection covers the entire torso and the length of one's arms. What I have my doubts about, is how well it would slide on a rugged dirt track and whether the elbow inserts would stay in the right place upon impact. Does anyone have any first-hand experience with MC jackets and off-road falls?

Another couple of things worth mentioning:

• For serious off-roading (when pushing the envelope and getting my adrenaline fix), and based on my fall patterns, I'm going to start wearing my Dainese Action Evo Shorts under my jeans. (I don't know why I didn't think of putting them on; I guess just because the off-roading was unplanned. I was just going to go for a short stroll...then discovered a cool dirt trail and...:efef2e0fff:)

144bhjb.png

• Am very pleased with my €20 wrist guards. When I can afford to, I want to get some Demon Flexmeters, but for now, these are doing the trick wonderfully. The shape of the palm seems to make them slide very well.

91kpqt.jpg

I have a feeling traditional skate wrist guards with the more protruding wrist plate might get caught more easily, especially off-road:

2hxlm5y.jpg

And to circle back on-topic (sorry....), in terms of summer gear, does anyone have any experience with mesh, motocross upper-body armour?

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

BTW, any recommendations for a summer FF helmet? The Fox Proframe seems like the best option out there, but I was wondering if anyone knew of something with similar ventilation but a lower price...