Air valve friction problem

Matt_CH

Hi everyone! 

I have a bit of an issue with my air valve - as you can see from the picture it sticks out like that and scrapes against the inside. That results in a very annoying sound and it can't be good for metal to be rubbing against plastic like that. How can I readjust this valve to prevent this from happening?? 

I tried deflating the tire, and at that point I am able to push the valve back in (but not to its side like it is supposed to be), however I cannot push it back in once I've inflated the tire. Tried to tape the damn thing down but the pressure is too strong for tape and just makes it stick back up... Anyone had this happen to them? 

IMG_20190510_190136.jpg

What wheel are you talking about, and why has this become a problem now (did you replace the tube)?

Try to change the position of the tube.

Fully deflate the tube. Keeping the rim steady, try to rotate the tire around the rim to the left side (if seeing the picture  posted) 

I hope this will help. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

What wheel are you talking about, and why has this become a problem now (did you replace the tube)?

I think Ninebot C/E. Probably was raided with very low pressure. 

Hey thanks for the replies!

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I have the Ninebot One, bought it 2.5 years ago. It was the first time I was inflating the tire, and it started becoming a problem after a few kilometers when I started hearing that sound and realized it was the valve hitting the inside.

33 minutes ago, Ch.Eng.62 said:

Try to change the position of the tube.

Fully deflate the tube. Keeping the rim steady, try to rotate the tire around the rim to the left side (if seeing the picture  posted) 

I hope this will help. 

I tried deflating and reinflating, but not rotating the tire a bit... I see what you're getting at, I'll give it a try tomorrow. But basically, this valve should be resting against the wheel, not sticking up like that <_<

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Matt_CH said:

this valve should be resting against the wheel, not sticking up like that

Yes, but if the root of the valve is just under  the hole in the rim. If the root is not on place, the valve pipe will point upward or will lay on the rim.

2 minutes ago, Ch.Eng.62 said:

Yes, but if the root of the valve is just under  the hole in the rim. If the root is not on place, the valve pipe will point upward or will lay on the rim.

It was laying on the rim before, but in order to inflate it I had to move it. And after that I wasn't able to put it back in place however at that point it wasn't touching the inside. I guess it naturally moved to that position where it started to hit the inside of the wheel cover part at the top.

In what position should the valve be in? That way I can aim for that when I try tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Matt_CH said:

Hey thanks for the replies!

I have the Ninebot One, bought it 2.5 years ago. It was the first time I was inflating the tire, and it started becoming a problem after a few kilometers when I started hearing that sound and realized it was the valve hitting the inside.

I tried deflating and reinflating, but not rotating the tire a bit... I see what you're getting at, I'll give it a try tomorrow. But basically, this valve should be resting against the wheel, not sticking up like that <_<

Wow, first time adding air in 2-1/2 years. That tire must have been very low. I usually have to top off my air every month or so.

Looks like you're getting help with your issue. Good luck.

18 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Wow, first time adding air in 2-1/2 years. That tire must have been very low. I usually have to top off my air every month or so.

Actually, my E+ is surprisingly good at holding the pressure. I am checking my tires after winter "hibernation" and never had to add any significant amount of air.

• Like 1

I don't check the pressure very often too. Really I use a pressure gauge only when pump up the tire.

BUT i check by hand how stiff is it almost every time before I start riding. Which is checking the pressure :).

This remain from the time when I had a bicycle. 

Quick update: I wasn't able to move the tire along without unscrewing the whole cover so I just tried readjusting the valve to its original position after having completely deflated the tire. I then proceded to inflate it at that very same parallel angle, took it for a test drive and so far it seems to be staying in place.

Hope this helps if anyone has a similar issue with theirs, and thanks for the advice!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hmm, how

25 minutes ago, Eddie A. Steiner said:

wiers little metal thing

is fixed to the rim.

If the inner tube is in correct position in the tire, there is not need of such a fixing device