Unexplained slow air leak from Ninebot One Z10 tyre.

Monocyklista

Got a new Ninebot One Z10 3 weeks ago and first thing I did to protect it from punctures I put tubeless Slime as per @Marty Backeadvice:thumbup:. Everything worked fine for 2 weeks until I started to feel I am loosing air slowly. I carefully checked tyre and didn't spot any puncture. I cleaned valve core one more time and screwed up, I put plastic cap on the valve and still air continue to leak. I must admit, I experimented with diffrent pressure, I started with 30 than 40 and finally 50 Psi - my weight is 95 kg (210 lbs) with backpack, protections etc even 110 kg (243 lbs) Now the symptoms, when riding to work for 20 min. - around 7 km (~5 mil) one way - all OK, after 8 hours on the way home, I feel much softer tyre and wobly especially on cobblestone roads etc. I pumped Z10 using rubber extension and to prevent air loss I unscrewed it together with attached foot pump until I learned the easy way by attaching bras extender from my Ninebot One S2 thanks to @Lukaszadvice :clap3:.

Any idea what might be wrong?

Is it something I should do as a new owner of this wheel?

Cheers

Edited by Monocyklista
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Monocyklista said:

Got a new Ninebot One Z10 3 weeks ago and first thing I did to protect it from punctures I put tubeless Slime as per @Marty Backeadvice:thumbup:. Everything worked fine for 2 weeks until I started to feel I am loosing air slowly. I carefully checked tyre and didn't spot any puncture. I cleaned valve core one more time and screwed up, I put plastic cap on the valve and still air continue to leak. I must admit, I experimented with diffrent pressure, I started with 30 than 40 and finally 50 Psi - my weight is 95 kg (210 lbs) with backpack, protections etc even 110 kg (243 lbs) Now the symptoms, when riding to work for 20 min. - around 7 km (~5 mil) one way - all OK, after 8 hours on the way home, I feel much softer tyre and wobly especially on cobblestone roads etc. I pumped Z10 using rubber extension and to prevent air loss I unscrewed it together with attached foot pump until I learned the easy way by attaching bras extender from my Ninebot One S2 thanks to @Lukaszadvice :clap3:.

Is it something I should do as a new owner of this wheel?

Cheers

Certainly sounds like you may have a tiny puncture that Slime may not have fixed. If it worked fine for a couple of weeks that I can't see there being an issue with the valve core. For kicks you could put a new valve core in. Sometimes the act of putting air in the tire can affect the seal of the valve core. New cores are cheap, so that's an easy thing to try.

On my MSuper I have a periodic slow leak. I suspect that there's a puncture that Slime fixes but periodically maybe it reopens a little. What I do is refill the tire with air and then with the wheel on, I lift it off the ground and let the wheel spin up to full speed. I think this helps to distribute the Slime and force it into any holes. My MSuper then seems good for a few more months.

So try spinning up your wheel a couple of times and see if that helps.

Also, how much Slime did you put in the tire? If I remember correctly, I put ~8-ounces in  mine.

If all that fails, if I were in your situation I would start spreading soapy water over the tire to try and determine where the leak is. Tedious, but I don't know what else to do it. Also, before using the water, you've checked the entire tire with a loupe for any tiny holes?

That's all the ideas I have.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Also, how much Slime did you put in the tire? If I remember correctly, I put ~8-ounces in  mine.

Thanks Marty for fast response. I put 8 oz. bottle in the tire.

I'll try the trick with spinning and new valve core and let you know if it helps.

• Like 2

On 5/10/2019 at 3:17 PM, Monocyklista said:

Try to carefully tighten the valve first. Sometimes it got loosen up because of the pump extension. Happened to mine once. Hope it helps! :cheers:

• Like 1