Rubbing/grinding sound from KS18XL while weight is on one side

svenomous

Hi all, I've had my KS18XL, my first wheel, for about two weeks now.  About 50 total miles on it so far, and I'm still in learning mode.  From the first day I've noticed something odd, and I'd like to ask about it: when I ride, if the chassis gets pushed by the right leg, there is a loud grinding/rubbing sound.  So, as I put more weight on the right foot than on the left, forcing my right leg to push the chassis leftward to compensate, and forcing the wheel to tilt left to keep center of gravity so the wheel continues to travel in a straight line, the louder the sound becomes.  Here's a short video where you can hear that a slight rubbing sound is almost always present, but as soon as I start lifting my left foot off its pedal, transferring weight onto the right foot, the sound intensifies greatly.  I'm not complaining that I can't lift my left foot off for tricks or anything like that, but naturally while riding the CG forces change, and the rubbing is always there.  I hear it if I mount the wheel with right foot first, and during turns, and even when going straight and making very small CG adjustments.  It's annoying, and possibly something is grinding together that shouldn't be and is wearing down as a result.  So...any thoughts?

I’ve had my KS18XL for two months with over 150 miles on it and I’ve never heard it sound like that. My 18XL is very quiet and smooth regardless of turning, mounting, etc.

I’m not an expert but I’d say something is definitely wrong with the wheel. Can you reach out to your dealer and see what they say about that video?

That seems to be the shell flexing and physically rubbing against the motor. Happened on some flimsier built wheels. But that shouldn't happen on the 18XL. Can you have a look inside the wheel well, maybe you see anything?

If there's nothing obvious there, contact your seller.

Edited by meepmeepmayer

@svenomous I have the same thing!!! I just got mine in last week (Tuesday April 30), I think ours are part of the same batch. I just thought it was normal for a big wheel. I get it all the time when adjusting one of my feet during a ride. 

Mine is not as bad at in the video, but basically the same sound. However, it only happens when I have weight on one side. It mostly happens when I have my left foot on and adjusting my right foot. 

Maybe the 18L's battery casing is structural:whistling:, and since the 18XL is missing it, the shell flexes enough to rub when ridden one-footed?

How heavy are you guys?

I'm not aware of any other reports for this, but maybe it is a general issue? Or as you say an issue with one batch? (Not sure how exactly that would work, but @Jason McNeil will know.)

• Like 1

I'm just under 200lbs/90kgs. For me it feels like the top of the wheel is rubbing the edge of the casing, but I don't know what the inside looks like. I've learned to simply not ride with one foot. I use mine as my main mode of transportation and have already put over 500kms on it. Since I average 40-50kmh, I don't ride with one foot off very much :) 

• Upvote 1

My XL sounds like that too whenever it's leaning over a bit when most of my weight is on one leg. This usually happens when stopping and starting. So I try and keep the wheel more vertical when starting/stopping to avoid this. I never have any rubbing while riding the wheel normally.

If you bought the wheel in the hopes of doing a lot of one-legged riding, I'm afraid you made a poor choice with the XL.

So yeah, I think the XL shell, with the extra batteries, is a bit on the flimsy side.

• Upvote 2

I've never had any issues of this type with mine. Received it in January (European distributor). I'm about 78 kg with equipment.

To me it sounds like something is definitely wrong...

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 2

Mine doesn't do this at all, and I'm 215 lbs. It sounds like something is wrong. I think deflating completely and reinflating just in case the tire is slight off on the rim might be worth a shot like Meep said. Mine is virtually silent, no creaks or rubbing at all. I do run pressure on the lower side compared to some of you, if that makes a difference in rubbing. It's far from flat though. I don't ride one legged, but this Svenomous isn't riding one legged in the video, he's just turning. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NylahTay said:

are you having any issues with your wheel like this? I believe yours was also from the same batch.

I haven't tried balancing on one foot yet. I'm heavier than both of you. I'll keep an ear out for it.

Thanks all for info and advice. Especially @mrelwood for the detailed shell realignment attempt instructions. I’m 205lbs (that’s 93kg) btw. In the video I was riding straight and intentionally shifting the bulk of my weight onto the right foot, to the point the left foot was starting to come off it’s pedal. I have no desire to ride one-legged, this was just a way to exaggerate the problem so it could be heard clearly in the video. In normal writing, what I am hearing is a slight rhythmic rubbing sound all the time, except when I lean left (it goes away then).  When I lean right, on the other hand, or mount with the right foot first, or dismount onto the left foot, or in general shift weight to the right for any reason, the rubbing intensifies as you can hear in the video  

My conclusion from the replies is that the wheel is rubbing the inside of the shell, and that this is not an immediate safety concern.  It is also probably not a serious manufacturing defect requiring an actual repair or part replacement , so much as a misalignment aggravated by very tight clearance of this design. Hence, I’m going out for one last neighborhood training ride right now, despite the rubbing. This is because the weather is great, I have about two hours of sunlight left, and I want to get one last session in before tomorrow’s acid test on a populated trail.  This evening I will take the wheel into the house and perform the realignment attempt. I will report back!

Thanks again, all. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, svenomous said:

Thanks all for info and advice. Especially @mrelwood for the detailed shell realignment attempt instructions. I’m 205lbs (that’s 93kg) btw. In the video I was riding straight and intentionally shifting the bulk of my weight onto the right foot, to the point the left foot was starting to come off it’s pedal. I have no desire to ride one-legged, this was just a way to exaggerate the problem so it could be heard clearly in the video. In normal writing, what I am hearing is a slight rhythmic rubbing sound all the time, except when I lean left (it goes away then).  When I lean right, on the other hand, or mount with the right foot first, or dismount onto the left foot, or in general shift weight to the right for any reason, the rubbing intensifies as you can hear in the video  

My conclusion from the replies is that the wheel is rubbing the inside of the shell, and that this is not an immediate safety concern.  It is also probably not a serious manufacturing defect requiring an actual repair or part replacement , so much as a misalignment aggravated by very tight clearance of this design. Hence, I’m going out for one last neighborhood training ride right now, despite the rubbing. This is because the weather is great, I have about two hours of sunlight left, and I want to get one last session in before tomorrow’s acid test on a populated trail.  This evening I will take the wheel into the house and perform the realignment attempt. I will report back!

Thanks again, all. 

But during normal riding, the tire should never be bumping into the shell. If nothing else that's going to affect your gas mileage :)

• Like 2

Those screws are sad. I really don't get why these companies are still using Phillips :facepalm:  The screws in my 18XL were fine (I had to remove my wheel to fix a flat).

The typical process for removing stripped screws is it drill them out. You use a large drill until the head pops off. Then you should be able to use some vise-grips to grab the shaft of the screw and unscrew it. There are also extractor tools that can be use which also involve some drilling into the screw head.

Thanks @Marty Backe. I’m hoping not to have to drill out the screws, but will if I must. Maybe I can find hex bolts of the same size to replace them? Anything I should watch out for, to ensure safety, like material (steel, nickel, ...?). Any other tips from those with experienced at dealing with KS hardware?

• Like 1

Thanks @Seba. The side covers each use 17 screws, of which 15 are very short and 2 are longer, if I remember correctly. Are the side cover hex screws you mentioned the short ones, and you just keep using the 2 longer Phillips screws?  What about Torx instead of Hex, since for hex you usually end up using a T or L key, while for Torx you generally use a more “normal” straight diver? Wondering which would be more convenient. I agree that Phillips is a bad idea for screws like these, especially the bigger higher-torque ones used for the pedal hangers. Stripped Phillips is something I see (and cause!) often.