eddiemoy

KS-16S caused a fire...

My local city public transportation banned any EUC or hoverboard due to possibly catching fire. I thought it was ridiculous grouping in my expensive EUC with a cheap hoverboard. It would never spontaneously catch fire... :o

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TomOnWheels said:

If one wheel can burn a office building, can all your wheels together burn California ? :-o Just kidding, sorry, it was an easy one... :-)

:laughbounce2::laughbounce2::laughbounce2::laughbounce2::laughbounce2::laughbounce2::laughbounce2: hahahahah good one :thumbup:

16 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

How reliable is the New York Post?

Not very, your intuition is correct.

17 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Looks like this might be either extremely unlucky spontaneous ignition due to repeated mechanical damage to the batteries, or something's may not be adding up.

My vote is for the latter, something doesn't sound right here.

• Like 3

He sounds like an asshole with a crazy amount of mileage and abuse on a 16. Don't let this get you down Jason.

@Esper I doubt he was the only one who did all that mileage in that time span.

The KS16S is a favorite for the cheap second hand used market, so my bet is that multiple users had hands in those miles.

Plus, winter riding in NYC is prohibitive, both to the battery life and riders' comfort, so you would have to really be diehard to keep that pace in the cold.

And the 16S's speed + range is not conducive to constant daily long range riding FWIW

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, gr8ps said:

A lot of victim blaming going on here - lets not jump to conclusions. It sucks that it happened but lets be real here, it happened and will happen again.

EUCs go through a lot throughout their service life. Wires get frayed when wheel gets taken apart, they bump into curbs, take tumbles down cliffs, etc.

These aren't allowed on a plane for good reason. 

So we should expect most wheels to explode after they've been used for a while?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xolition said:

He sounds like an asshole with a crazy amount of mileage and abuse on a 16. Don't let this get you down Jason.

Crazy amount of mileage should not matter. I leave mine on charge at night and this is making me worried. I hope to hear from Jason about this again.  It seems like the guy is not telling the whole story either. 

• Upvote 1

I have several wheels that have been severely abused (winter riding, trail riding, lending them out for people to learn on), a couple of those have seen several thousand kms of use. So far none of them has exploded. I did give the batteries away (they found a second life powering a friend's MSX) when I retired my first ACM, but kept the rest of it for research purposes.

• Like 1

So this leads me to ask, when you are finished with an EUC, and have determined that the wheel has finally gone too much to be safely ridden, how do you properly dispose of one? I mean the batteries are arguably the most dangerous part of the disposal.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Even phones (see note 7) catch fire, it was bound to happen.

Now our machines may be on the spotlight, and that may lead to some changes, we hope not, but still.. people will notice it :'( 

• Like 1

Are there any pictures of the KS-16S afterwards? It might be completely unrecognizable but sometimes in fires specific things can survive that might give further clues on the fires origin and spread.

7 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Can you (re)move the offtopic car discussion (to a separate thread) please? This should be about the 16S fire, it's going to be chaotic enough on its own.

Cars etc. moved to here:  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, winterwheel said:

So we should expect most wheels to explode after they've been used for a while?

The risk is not zero. There will be manufacturing defects, accumulated damage, water ingress, etc. I'd take an educated guess and say the risk of it spontaneously combusting is a lot higher than that of Teslas (the car) that have an active BMS with cooling/heating and generally go through less abuse than an EUC. Teslas have caught fire sitting on lots. Some people seem to be brushing it off or blaming the guy for having too many miles on the wheel. 

It's just an EUC, no sense in getting emotionally defensive about it. I do know if my wheel caught fire unattended, I'd most likely lose my house. I believe the odds are low enough that my two wheels are still in the garage and will remain there. I won't tempt fate by leaving my wheels plugged in though. Just 90% charge from here on out with an occasional top-off for balancing. 

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Beside the inbetween Inmotion battery disaster, this is now the second case of fire reported here! I am happy and a bit surprised that there are not more incidents happening! There should be already masses of old/long used big battery packs circulating. Do most riders change wheels often enough? Or the li ion cell quality is as high that such a fire hazard risk is fortunately really low?

On top of this and the V10's

(This is a single incident, but apparently the problem was more common place with the early V10's, enough to warrant for the company to recall wheels / send water-proofing kit for the packs to the owners), there's at least one Ninebot One fire reported recently:

Someone made a mistake in changing a tire and blew up their pack:

Also, Marty made a video of someone's ACM that caught fire after a crash, somewhere there was a picture of some other Gotway burning up on the street, and @meepmeepmayer reported of a KS18A that burned partially. Back in 2015/2016, there was at least one newspaper article of a generic catching fire while charging, but likely there were more cases than just that one. Probably others I've already forgotten about, and there might be reports in the forums floating that I haven't even read... Plus there's a lot of riders outside these forums, so it's not like we even hear of every incident. Still, likely an actual fire or explosion is relatively rare, I'd hazard a guess that most of the times the batteries die a more silent death.

Edited by esaj
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I don't think it's the miles that's the issue. Read Jason's description of the wheel condition; it appears to have gone through hell and back.

Or got ran over by a car or truck. 

Although probably an isolated incident this discussion has heightened my awareness to the risks of EUC fires.

I store my wheels inside my garage and have smoke alarms throughout my home but they will not extinguish the fire. This automatic fire extinguisher may offer some precious time to  contain the fire before it evolves into an out of control situation. https://haven-firesafety.com/product/haven/

47034607244_b492010667_b.jpg

I purchased this extinguisher as it currently on sale for $155. I now plan to build a wheel enclosure using fire rated gypsum board. https://www.homedepot.com/p/ToughRock-Fireguard-45-TE-1-2-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-Gypsum-Board-12268/206967518

This is by no means a fool proof method given the intense heat generated by burning LIPO batteries but it should provide me some time to further contain the fire it this ominous scenario ever occurs. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1