KS-16S caused a fire...

eddiemoy

The owner should be given the benefit of the doubt for his version of events.  But in everyone's mind, I am sure we have our own doubts on whether we ourselves would have been charging our wheels during "therapy session"...  I think there is a desire to top off the battery if opportunity permits.  Although we've all seen that video of that IPS that caught fire while the dude was riding it in his apartment hallway.  i guess it COULD spontaneously happen.

Use your Charge Doctors and keep those battery packs at no more than 80% for max life.  Stay safe.

Edited by GQS

1 minute ago, tessa25 said:

I read his comment to mean he uses the original charger when he charges it. Not that he was charging it at the time of the fire. Why can't a wheel be upright during charging?

We first read the NY POST article where it said it was charging.  Then David asked if he was using the original charger to charge it.  

Have you had your wheel rotate forward or back and come crashing down?  Imagine if you had your charger plugged in.  I assume he had his wheel propped up against the wall upright not on a stand where it couldn't rotate over.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eddiemoy said:

We first read the NY POST article where it said it was charging.  Then David asked if he was using the original charger to charge it.  

Have you had your wheel rotate forward or back and come crashing down?  Imagine if you had your charger plugged in.  I assume he had his wheel propped up against the wall upright not on a stand where it couldn't rotate over.

I use a guitar stand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stan C said:

what happen if the wheel rotate when charging??? thats gonna cause a fire?

There is a possibility that it can cause a short circuit is my thinking if it fall the wrong way especially with the heavier wheels while it is plugged in.  I would advise against just having it propped up against a wall when charging even if there has been no reported cases of this happening. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

There is a possibility that it can cause a short circuit is my thinking if it fall the wrong way especially with the heavier wheels while it is plugged in.  I would advise against just having it propped up against a wall when charging even if there has been no reported cases of this happening. 

Thank you Eddie for clearing this up

• Upvote 1

i hope more details emerge.

I go to therapy in NYC, its a 30 minute session each month and I can't help but have some doubts about the story.

so the rider rode the wheel to the office and powers off the wheel at the front door. He trolleys the kingsong through the lobby (probably rode the elevator) and proceeds to the office where he registers his arrival at reception without issue.

After sitting in the waiting room for a few minutes, the therapist is ready to see him and then....? I'm curious where the wheel at this point since I trolley the tesla/msx into my session and its in my sight the entire time because the receptionist job description doesn't include being responsible for patient's valuables.

If it was going to blow up, there was plenty of time to blow up between the lobby and the start of the session and nobody noticed a thing until the sudden explosion?

there's seems to be a huge gap in the timeline....

If NYC medical offices have a message board/chat group and are talking about this, it will be extremely frustrating trying to calm the fears each time we step into one.

Edited by chulander
fears of NYC banning EUCs because of one incident
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, chulander said:

Indeed Marty. I trolley into stores, offices and park the wheel next to my desk at work.

the convenience and confidence to accurately plan your travels (despite the traffic) is the appeal of the EUC lazy life.

The appeal is not without its cost tho. I just received the 100v Monster and preordered the 16x which brings my grant total to......4 wheels. 12 more and I can begin to understand your world Marty.

:D You should be scared when you realize that there was a time that I only had 4 wheels. Indeed, I once only had one! Beware the little :efef77eaf5: that sits on your shoulder saying, "yes, yes, buy that one too".

I predict that you won't be bringing the Monster into the doctors office :)

• Like 3