What's wrong with Airwheels?

BaconLiker

On 8/3/2017 at 3:22 PM, KingSong69 said:

Beside the "nice name" i absolutely know nothing that would speak for an airwheel nowadays!

Wait! :clap3: I can speak for them! They make a Really Big Helmet Cam!

36276460101_b29b205936_b.jpg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/3/2017 at 9:51 AM, FlyingRat said:

I learned to ride on X8 and it is what taught me how to ride safely! I am still enjoying the ride of X8, it is a decent 16inch wheel. Where does it shine? Safety and low speed in city pavement and crowed area. Once you can master the X8 you can ride anything. I am still riding an X8 every now and then if I am not testing some other new wheels. And after having tested many wheels from Luffy to Monster...the X8 is still among my favorite wheel to ride around town and our neighborhood. Yes it only has a top speed of 18km/h but depending where you are riding it can be too fast already to others and at about 15km/h it will begin to warn you to lean back with its till back on the paddles. You can ride with this tilt and be use to it. it can be a way to also prepare you for the next bump with that much tilt to lower your CG. Sometime in life it is not about how fast the Lambo get fly down the straight, its is about a relax ride down the Rodeo drive enjoying the view as you glide gracefully in every turns and the smooth motor if offer that come from the proprietary motor algorithm that started the EUC game when there were no wheel out there. Airwheel is designed to be safe and safe mean comfortable speed of a good marathon runner and much faster than walking. And therefore in any unfortunate even of a breakdown you just jump out of the wheel and run and avoid a face plant. For the beginner rider is will not get you into trouble and for the experience rider you get to feel the finesse ride quality of the original. Nothing come near! oh btw its only uses top quality lithium cells from Sony or Panasonic from Japan factory! The motor are top brands with rare earth magnet that keep the wheel with less halls play! If you are still riding the X8..be known that this is a premium brand and is still relevant today.   

I did not know it was a 16inch tire, I thought it was 14inch.  The battery at 170wh seems too small for heavy (95) kg riders.  It looks like a good wheel for riding smoothly at about 8mph.  I watched a video of someone in San Francisco, California, climbing a steep hill with no cutoff.  Thanks for the review.:)

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Wait! :clap3: I can speak for them! They make a Really Big Helmet Cam!

36276460101_b29b205936_b.jpg

Whoa, that looks futuristic.:o  And the bubble face shield would also protect the chin, if it were strong enough.  The helmet looks like leather on the outside.  Hey, wait a minute, you might have put the Airwheel logo on the side, is that a real helmet?

On 7/12/2017 at 6:04 PM, Rahere said:

I looked at this back in 2014-15, when EUCs first launched, and it was a clear case of Early Adopter Syndrome: what I was concerned at was that the danger level of AirWheels suddenly stopping due to a systems fault was significant,and so I desisted, and it's truly shocking to see they haven't addressed it since. The Chinese have a historic record of endemically fatalistic attitudes to Health and Safety, and that is why H&S exists, to stop such people committing moderate genocide. If they won't listen - and they haven't - then they must be stopped, it's the same for all. Which I guess is what is happening now, their main UK distributor, Maplin, have pulled the product.

I don't get it. If there are legitimate safety issues that cause accidents, international companies can be sued in the United States. I would think even more easily in the United Kingdom. Secondly... In the days worth of research I have done on this subject, this is the only place I have seen mention of chronic problems with Airwheels and only after searching for an Airwheel thread. Before then, I read about the Ninebot and the MSuper, but nothing about Airwheels. Any references? Apparently all of these devices are made in China (originally based on Segway's technology) and I have no preference, but lawsuits happen when a company continues to sell a defective product. Americans are happy to take Chinese companies to court under those circumstances.

I would like to know whether Airwheel batteries are in fact made in Japan. That would be noteworthy IMO. I ordered a new Q3 for $320 (US). I just need one for a project. Will upgrade if the project works well.

5 hours ago, Badzilla said:

I don't get it. [...] In the days worth of research I have done on this subject, this is the only place I have seen mention of chronic problems with Airwheels and only after searching for an Airwheel thread. Before then, I read about the Ninebot and the MSuper, but nothing about Airwheels.

Judging from my observations within and outside the internet, Airwheel is not anymore a relevant EUC manufacturer for the US or the European market since a few years. Hence the lack of reports of problems (or lawsuits). My hunch is that there are good reasons far beyond their marketing strategy why its popularity has been in decline.

On 07/08/2017 at 7:57 AM, Badzilla said:

In the days worth of research I have done on this subject, this is the only place I have seen mention of chronic problems with Airwheels and only after searching for an Airwheel thread.

Write 100 times: "I must improve my internet search skills" 

i did a single search in Google and found the following immediately ignoring any that pointed to this forum (which is of course - THE definitive site for electric unicycle information!) :

http://electricunicyclereviews.com/start-here/electric-unicycle-reviews-brand/airwheel-x8-self-balancing-electric-unicycle-review

https://wheelive.com/blog/brands-with-without-unexpected-shutdowns-new-buyers-look-here/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ElectricUnicycle/comments/6b0pt3/airwheel_x3_battery_problems/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ElectricUnicycle/comments/3rtizr/airwheel_x3_sudden_shutdown/

http://hobby16.neowp.fr/2015/07/21/bms-how-to-make-your-wheel-safer/

http://electricunicyclereviews.com/start-here/electric-unicycle-reviews-brand/airwheel-q3-self-balancing-two-wheeled-electric-unicycle-review

http://hobby16.neowp.fr/2015/07/22/airwheel-bms-shunt/#more-212

Ouups, everybody is bound to improve their internet search skills, that's for sure. Though, I am not sure that writing 100 times "I must improve my internet search skills. I must improve my internet search..." really helps, not gonna try ;)

Archived