Tesla or 16s as first wheel?

I don't have a 16s, however the Tesla was my first wheel and it's quite scratched up (might have to put the baby bumpers if that concerns you).

The Tesla acceleration is great, top speed of 31 mph at 100% is awesome too. The design eliminates any needs of a mudflap but I suspect that design also makes it terrible at handling bumps or large rocks (had a night accident that required a motor change as the rim dented from climbing over / into a potato-sized rock at 18mph).

The Tesla is a great commuter wheel but after riding the MSX, I realized the Tesla's pedals are a bit short which makes it difficult to make quick sharp turns without scrapping the pedals.

If the 16s pedals are higher and top speed isn't an issue perhaps the 16s is a better option? My tesla pedals are hideous.

Note, replacing the v1 Tesla tire is quite frustrating. It requires the entire wheel to be split apart. hope this helps

Regarding tire change, on the MSX a tire replacement is easy because the wheel can be split apart. On the 16S the disassembly is more laborous, and one has to have three hands not to strip the motor cables when pulling the motor in/out of the shell.

Mudflap-wise the Tesla and 16S should be similiar.

Can’t compare the 16S pedals to the Tesla’s, but like all standard pedals before the V10F, they too feel more like footpegs once you’ve had the chance to ride actual shoe sized pedals.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

I can buy a new 16s for 12k NOK or a slightly used tesla for 11k NOK. 

It's either that or wait for the 16x, but that is so far off. 

Thank you for the replies. Might just go for the Tesla if the seller can give some guarantees about how the battery has been treated 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Haha, nice upgrade! Tesla or 16S? Nikola! :thumbup: A good choice (as I see it).

25 minutes ago, Ninefingers said:

just ordered

Can you still change to 1600Wh? It's not shipped yet? The extra price is worth it, even if it's unreasonably much. I made the "mistake" of ordering 1300Wh instead of 1600Wh for my first wheel because of the price and uncertainty about the whole EUC thing back then, I thought "That must be enough". But in hindsight, I should definitely have ordered the 1600Wh. It's already a ton of money, you should not stop at 90% (or rather 29/35 = 83% as far as the battery capacity is concerned).

It's not that you'll be unhappy with a 1300Wh wheel (I love mine), but you'll be happier with 1600Wh, that's an extra 15km of range!

Seriously, what is the price difference?

1600Wh!:efefe00999: Smart people learn from other people's mistakes, learn from mine:efee8319ab:

(Upvoted your posts so you have maybe less posting limits when it counts.)

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Ninefingers said:

It's 2000 NOK pr around $220.

I just can't imagine going more than 100km a day in any situation 

The announced range is not the distance you can ride on one charge. It is the maximum achieveable distance under lab conditions, of which the last some dozen kms can only be ridden slowly and listening to the low battery beeps.

I’m 92kg and I ride reasonably fast, and I can get around 50km from a 1600Wh MSX before the ride is not fun anymore (beeps, or have to ride carefully). 65km is the maximum I’ve achieved.

I agree, absolutely go for the 1600Wh version if you still can. The price difference is fair in my mind. You won’t regret it.

• Upvote 1

Haha, cool! I really believe it is for the better. You chose the Nikola (a more substantial wheel with bigger range) over the Tesla and 16S for a reason, so you're most likely the kind of rider who will happily enjoy the extra range.

$220 for the additional 300Wh is actually not bad. For me the difference was £300, which is $390. In hindsight, I still should have done it, even for that absurd markup.

For comparison, with 80kg at 30-35kph I get a max of 60km with my 1300Wh before the beeping starts in earnest. 1600Wh would make that like ~73-75km under the same conditions. Quite the difference! And if you go faster, the range goes down quickly. Air resistance is a bitch.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
spelling
  • Upvote 1

I chose the Nikola because I got angry at the guy who sold the tesla and I like the 3" wheel. I also don't like the idea of buying old tech in a field that is new. 

Hope I'm happy and don't break my neck riding the top performer from day one 😉

1 hour ago, Ninefingers said:

I chose the Nikola because I got angry at the guy who sold the tesla and I like the 3" wheel. I also don't like the idea of buying old tech in a field that is new. 

Hope I'm happy and don't break my neck riding the top performer from day one 😉

I’ll agree with everyone and say that you made a wise decision.  Take the time to pad your wheel thoroughly and it should come through your learning phase well.  You should take the same advice and pad yourself once you can stay on and ride for some distance. Wrist guards straightaway!

• Upvote 3

Spoiler

MSX>Nikola/18xl>Tesla>16s

1. MSX best all runner/performance wheel. Probably fill your need for a longest time. Best motherboard with big 247fets.

2. Nikola - newest wheel, probably much better hill climber than 18XL. 3inch wheel provides good traction and comfort. Only bit smaller than 18inch. Big battery 1600Wh, nice design, nice large pedals. Bit too big. 

or

2. 18XL - overheat on very hot days, hill climbs or extreme use. Good range, great commuter, good quality, can be paired with big pedals. 

1 hour ago, Rafal said:
  Reveal hidden contents

MSX>Nikola/18xl>Tesla>16s

1. MSX best all runner/performance wheel. Probably fill your need for a longest time. Best motherboard with big 247fets.

2. Nikola - newest wheel, probably much better hill climber than 18XL. 3inch wheel provides good traction and comfort. Only bit smaller than 18inch. Big battery 1600Wh, nice design, nice large pedals. Bit too big. 

or

2. 18XL - overheat on very hot days, hill climbs or extreme use. Good range, great commuter, good quality, can be paired with big pedals. 

So if I get the msx I will be happy? It's $100 dollar cheaper than nikola and delivery this week. 

3 hours ago, Ninefingers said:

So if I get the msx I will be happy? It's $100 dollar cheaper than nikola and delivery this week.  

Look at this thread. Updated version of MSX is comming.

It is not easy choice:)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ninefingers said:

O

I ordered the msx. Its being shipped tomorrow, and I'm a beginner. I'm sure I'll be happy enough 😊 there will always be a better model coming soon

Great shout.

i wouldn’t dream of ordering a Nikola over an MSX, but that’s me.

ill hopefully be ordering mine when my holiday pay comes through shortly 😬

On 5/12/2019 at 5:40 PM, Ninefingers said:

Thank you for the advice. Will be shopping wrist guards sometime next week. 

I went for the Hillbilly wrist guard gloves as recommended by a lot of guys on here and they’re excellent quality - very happy with them. Only gripe is inability to use capacitive touch screens but I’ll be seeing some conductive wire through the thumb soon.

Burton make stand alone wrist guards that aren’t quite as tough but you can wear your own (touch screen friendly) glove really easily.

1 hour ago, HippoPig said:

I went for the Hillbilly wrist guard gloves as recommended by a lot of guys on here and they’re excellent quality - very happy with them. Only gripe is inability to use capacitive touch screens but I’ll be seeing some conductive wire through the thumb soon.

Burton make stand alone wrist guards that aren’t quite as tough but you can wear your own (touch screen friendly) glove really easily.

I live in Norway so I'm not sure what I'll find on short notice. Think we have a sk8 shops around. If I scratch my hands I just write it up as training for man hands.