Time to Dump Paypal?

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

I don't like that PayPal, Patreon, Amazon, AirBNB, YouTube, and many if not most other merchant/financial exchangers exclude people who haven't been convicted of a crime.

Agnostic services that purposefully don't care what their customers are, except perhaps those that are known financial felons; otherwise provide service to all at a reasonable profit.

What?? Exclude, meaning doesn't include. And haven't meaning have not. Are you trying to say "... merchant/financial exchangers include people that have been convicted of a crime..."

Two negatives in a sentence cancel out. Saying "exclude people that have been convicted" removes one negative and reverses the meaning of the sentence. same with "include people that haven't been convicted" Removing both is "include people that have been convicted"

But your second sentence talks about companies that don't cater to felons. so I'm confused here. What are you trying to say?

Let me break it down.
"I don't like that PayPal ... excludes people that haven't been convicted of a crime" Does that sound accurate to you?

Edited by Esper

@Jason McNeil I seem to remember you saying that you would be using Klarna, some time ago. Is that going to happen? I hope so, I’ve got a nice credit line waiting to be spent at ewheels😁

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Esper said:

What?? Exclude, meaning doesn't include. And haven't meaning have not. Are you trying to say "... merchant/financial exchangers include people that have been convicted of a crime..."

Two negatives in a sentence cancel out. Saying "exclude people that have been convicted" removes one negative and reverses the meaning of the sentence. same with "include people that haven't been convicted" Removing both is "include people that have been convicted"

But your second sentence talks about companies that don't cater to felons. so I'm confused here. What are you trying to say?

Let me break it down.
"I don't like that PayPal ... excludes people that haven't been convicted of a crime" Does that sound accurate to you?

The sentence is correct and the logic straightforward, but the confusion arises due to me not liking these tech companies. I don't like xbecause of y. In this case, a negation wouldn't work, because I would start the sentence "I like x" which is false.

Don't exclude people unless they've been tried and convicted of a crime. Even then, should they have served their sentence, then they should be allowed to continue being serviced unless they continue to be convicted.

Many people are aghast at China's social credit system that forbids essential services to undesirables and their families while ignoring the US's similar systems such as credit ratings, no fly lists of people never convicted of crimes, and the deplatforming of people from social media who might hold a different opinion.

However, I do consider Doxing and Swatting to be mild felonies/misdemeanors, which seems done in the most cowardly and mean-spirited way.

• Like 1

PayPal's sloppiness with account administration led to my checking account being drained 5 days before Christmas (no shopping completed at the time of the incident). After instructing a PayPal support resource through a series of queries in their system(s) I was able to find the missing funds before they were extracted/lost. 

I fully support eWheels finding an alternative to PayPal.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Paypal is just another tech tyrant company trampling on the people's rights in pursuit of political, as well as financial means. There is a reason these tech tin pots suddenly discover any competitor is a "racist/misogynist/anti-whatever"and deplatform them. It serves their political ends and l keeps competition out. If Paypal has done this, you can expect the others to mostly follow suit. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LanghamP said:

The sentence is correct and the logic straightforward, but the confusion arises due to me not liking these tech companies. I don't like xbecause of y. In this case, a negation wouldn't work, because I would start the sentence "I like x" which is false.

Don't exclude people unless they've been tried and convicted of a crime. Even then, should they have served their sentence, then they should be allowed to continue being serviced unless they continue to be convicted.

Many people are aghast at China's social credit system that forbids essential services to undesirables and their families while ignoring the US's similar systems such as credit ratings, no fly lists of people never convicted of crimes, and the deplatforming of people from social media who might hold a different opinion.

However, I do consider Doxing and Swatting to be mild felonies/misdemeanors, which seems done in the most cowardly and mean-spirited way.

Oh I get it now. It makes more sense now that you have an example in there. I'm still confused at why you decided to use a double negative in your sentence ('don't like' doesn't count). lol. I still think it would be easier to just say, "I hate companies that prohibit people with criminal history" 

Now, stemming off of this, I don't recall any time in my past where I wasn't able to use any of the companies you mentioned when I had a recent conviction (though it wasn't money related). Money crimes are few and far inbetween.

Edited by Esper
words

37 minutes ago, Esper said:

I'm still confused at why you decided to use a double negative in your sentence ('don't like' doesn't count).

I'm dumb.

Now you're not confused as to the reason why.

19 hours ago, Jpd said:

@Jason McNeil I seem to remember you saying that you would be using Klarna, some time ago. Is that going to happen? I hope so, I’ve got a nice credit line waiting to be spent at ewheels😁

5Rh7jxo.png

BUMP!!! :D