Gotta have the strap!

I scratched and scuffed up my brand new MSX within minutes of opening the box, as I'm sure a bunch of other noobs like me have done. Chooch, on a YT video, recommended putting a strap or a belt around the handle while learning, and I just wanted to let you guys know that this is a golden tip! Not only has it saved the shell of my EUC, but it has also saved people and objects around me when I bail out. I have easily utilized the strap over a hundred times, which would have otherwise meant a hundred scratches and scuffs and broken things without it. 

Today I was riding around the street for the first time, with a belt around the handle, holding it loosely in my right hand, and I thought, "Why don't these things come with a strap?" I just couldn't imagine learning to ride one of these things without a safety strap to keep it from shooting away. I imagine even advanced riders have to bail on their EUC's from time to time, right?  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, suzukiwookie said:

I scratched and scuffed up my brand new MSX within minutes of opening the box, as I'm sure a bunch of other noobs like me have done. 

That first drop that results in scratches is a bummer. It use to be tough when I dropped and scratched a new wheel but now I think of it as a badge of honor. It happens to best of us. It sounds like you should install some protective padding on your wheel. You can also cover the abraded areas with self stick auto molding. 

7 hours ago, suzukiwookie said:

Today I was riding around the street for the first time, with a belt around the handle, holding it loosely in my right hand, and I thought, "Why don't these things come with a strap?"

There was a time years ago that a strap was included.  I don’t have any issues using a strap while gaining confidence but holding it in your hand is not advisable. Tucking the tether loosely inside your pant’s front pocket would be the safer approach. 

Guest PogArt Artur
6 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

That first drop that results in scratches is a bummer. It use to be tough when I dropped and scratched a new wheel but now I think of it as a badge of honor. It happens to best of us. It sounds like you should install some protective padding on your wheel. You can also cover the abraded areas with self stick auto molding. 

There was a time years ago that a strap was included.  I don’t have any issues using a strap while gaining confidence but holding it in your hand is not advisable. Tucking the tether loosely inside your pant’s front pocket would be the safer approach

Tucking the tether loosely inside your pant’s front pocket would be the safer approach. 

Could you please describe it a bit deeper @Rehab1 for me please...?

Any youtube review, or photos much welcome :)

I've seen, and I heard about securing the EUC to the rider, but it seems to be very discusable subject, there's some after/against points of view...

I wish to know your point of view as well please?

Thanks in advantage :) 

You really shouldn't be riding around people and other people's property, like cars and shop windows that come down to ground level until you are a confident, experienced rider. But, even then shite happens so straps, in theory are a good thing.

That said, I used a strap on my first wheel for the reasons you state.  When I got a second wheel I forgot to transfer the strap and haven't used one since.  However there have been a few times since, when a strap would have been beneficial.

They just look so dorky. Like you are a mad person riding your electronic Shetland pony.:D

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 1

Guest PogArt Artur
25 minutes ago, Smoother said:

You really shouldn't be riding around people and other people's property, like cars and shop windows that come down to ground level until you are a confident, experienced rider. But, even then shite happens so straps, in theory are a good thing.

That said, I used a strap on my first wheel for the reasons you state.  When I got a second wheel I forgot to transfer the strap and haven't used one since.  However there have been a few times since, when a strap would have been beneficial.

They just look so dorky. Like you are a man person riding your electronic Shetland pony.:D

Thanks @Smoother :)

I can see those aspects more clearly now...

Do you bail off the wheel or do you actually crash it? The two situation are very different.

On a bail, you hop off with both your feet, and the wheel is likely to continue.

On a crash, you stay with the wheel until it's unrecoverable, and then step off with one foot. The wheel isn't going anywhere.

Therefore, if you bail, try to stoop and catch the wheel by its handle, or exit the wheel with one foot unbalancing the wheel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

On a crash, you stay with the wheel until it's unrecoverable, and then step off with one foot. The wheel isn't going anywhere.

This statement cannot possible cover all crashes.  Many a crash has resulted in a wheel running off or tumbling off uncontrollably, and even worse on hills.  "stepping off with one foot"!? Don't make me laugh.  It's uncontrolled mayhem, there's no "stepping".   You yourself report being run over by your own wheel after you "stepped" off ( presumably with with your face because you were lying on the ground at the time), by definition it had to still be travelling, and no two crashes will produce the same result. No one can claim with authority what you are claiming, and the victim doesn't have to be hundreds of yards away; a few feet is all it takes if there are people around.

Edited by Smoother

3 hours ago, Smoother said:

They just look so dorky. Like you are a mad person riding your electronic Shetland pony.

Oh that hurts! 

46872671525_e03ca8fea4_b.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Oh that hurts! 

46872671525_e03ca8fea4_b.jpg

OK.  Now that's just weird.  But you made my point for me, sort of. :D

I don't remember seeing that photo before.  I didn't have you in mind, honest!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I had to go back through the archives but here is a photo of the strap/tether loosely slipped under my belt. A pant’s pocket is probably safer.

40822817013_5475d99d34_b.jpg

You an barely see the strap in this photo. 

47000045954_24d4e549d6_b.jpg

Stop trying to make us stare at your crotch. :angry:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

I'm still laughing at this photo. :roflmao:.

I’ve done some stupid things in my life. Glad your entertained.  :P 

47000602034_1e74b8537e_b.jpg

• Like 2

Guest PogArt Artur
1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

I had to go back through the archives but here is a photo of the strap/tether loosely slipped under my belt. A pant’s pocket is probably safer.

40822817013_5475d99d34_b.jpg

You an barely see the strap in this photo. 

47000045954_24d4e549d6_b.jpg

Thanks @Rehab1 :)

I'm appreciate for spending a time to find those photos!

I'm just rethinking of getting the wheel somehow secured now...

I'm commuting, anything can happen, and my wheel my go its way and get rolled on the street, or into the cluster of people, or such?

In case I fell off, I won't be able to control the way the wheel goes at all...

It might be wise, at least keep it around me somehow...

Thank you!

Guest PogArt Artur
2 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I’ve done some stupid things in my life. Glad your entertained.  :P 

47000602034_1e74b8537e_b.jpg

hahahahaaaa :)

Electric pony !

:)

15 minutes ago, PogArt Artur said:

In case I fell off, I won't be able to control the way the wheel goes at all...

Jason has a new ‘Return to Home’ wheel just for that purpose.;)

Guest PogArt Artur
3 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Jason has a new ‘Return to Home’ wheel just for that purpose.;)

That's intriguing ... :)

5 hours ago, Smoother said:

This statement cannot possible cover all crashes.  Many a crash has resulted in a wheel running off or tumbling off uncontrollably, and even worse on hills.  "stepping off with one foot"!? Don't make me laugh.  It's uncontrolled mayhem, there's no "stepping".   You yourself report being run over by your own wheel after you "stepped" off ( presumably with with your face because you were lying on the ground at the time), by definition it had to still be travelling, and no two crashes will produce the same result. No one can claim with authority what you are claiming, and the victim doesn't have to be hundreds of yards away; a few feet is all it takes if there are people around.

I'm not implying a step off is gentle. A step off is strictly that; you step off with one foot, and God be with you.

To go further, look at every crash, even the fast big ones, and see that if the rider stepped off the wheel instantly tumbled, shedding energy very quickly indeed (unless on top of a hill, in which case it simply had a lot of potential energy to begin with).

In my worst crashes, namely curbs, I would catch the pedal, wobble, say screw this and bail, but invariably I'd be leaning backwards, and hit the ground on my back, to be shortly hit by the wheel coming around.

A bail is a leap off, and a step off is literally that, one steps off.

Actually, I wonder if bails and step offs collectively covers all single-user crashes. I can't think of a single exception.