Regenerative braking

Chrisxr2

what is the best way of making the most of regenerative braking. I tend to almost tiptoe slowly down steepish hills, and I am really not convinced this is the best way of doing it, freewheeling down the hill outside my house the other day and watching the battery charge go up on the beta app was very satisfying indeed,i am intrigued to just how much extra mileage you can squeeze out if you reallymade the most of the regenerative braking and indeed how to.

While not exactly an answer, as a bound it's worth considering that unless your destination is at a lower altitude than your origin, the energy you get back braking on the downhills could never exceed that expended climbing the uphills, and in practice will be quite a bit less given inefficiency.

So at best regenerative braking could partially "flatten out" your trip, and perhaps recover a tiny bit of the losses if you have a lot of stop-and-go riding to deal with traffic lights or similar.

But unless you have a substantial net altitude loss, it will not let you go further than you would be able to when riding at a steady speed on a flat course.

But surely there is a difference in the speed you climb up hills in energy expenditure, there must be a sweet spot of speed, will be able to test properly once the Solowheel app is eventually released, I am intrigued as to how little the downhill hasn't needs to be to make a difference.

Archived