14" MCM5 versus the 16" 2019 Tesla

Hi all!

Planning out a purchase for either of these two wheels. Pretty stumped on which to go with.

The price difference is only $50 more for the AliExpress GotWay Tesla 2000W , and by my comparison the Tesla is a newer, faster, stronger, slicker (aesthetic), and all around more comfortable and durable of a wheel.

Pros to the AliExpress GotWay MCM5 1500W would be the maneuverability, lower weight, stronger shell and slightly lower price.

I'm 180lbs, I like to ride pretty rough (curbs, hard carving, 180's, fast change of direction), and as of right now my commute isn't very hefty (total of ~3 miles traveled daily with an hour of total train time and half of my commute being in the city of Boston). I understand that either of these wheels would do just fine, but I'm buying this wheel with the hope I won't need to drop bank on repairs or another wheel in the future if my commuting practice changes (which it might).

It feels like the Tesla would be more "bang for by buck", and cover any mode of travel. But it seems like the MCM5 is more portable, and probably more fun when not traveling long distance. But I don't really know if that's how I should be looking at this. Are there any factors I'm not considering, or questions I should be asking myself that would help me to make a more accurate decision?

I was decided on the MCM5 until this morning and I started looking at the Tesla again and now I'm into the whole debate process again lol. Any help would be much appreciated!

• Upvote 1

Trust your gut in wheel choice.

You can't go wrong with either wheel, but from what you describe, maybe the MCM5 is more your thing? Tricks, fast maneuvers, etc.

The main difference between the wheels is simply the tire diameter. A 14 inch wheel has more torque, instant oomph on acceleration, is more squirrely and fun, while a 16 incher is more smooth, stable and comfortable, especially at speed. As it seems, the first option is what you'd like more. The MCM5 is a reasonably light and small yet still wonderfully powerful commuter. It's not like the Tesla wouldn't work, though - they're both really nice. @Marty Backe describes the MCM5 as a smaller version of the Tesla.

About the Tesla, the one you linked is not newer than the MCM5, it's the original Tesla (nothing wrong with it!). The sellers list anything newly produced as NEW!!!

There is an updated version of the Tesla/"Tesla 2" which has a motor cut-off button under the handle (like the MCM5) and two big, fat, red speakers on each side (semi-hidden behind the pedals), and is otherwise the same. It costs like $100 more: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2019-New-Gotway-Tesla-monowheel-electric-unicycle-1020WH-2000W-motor-With-Bluetooth-speaker-Handle-anti-aircraft/1908673_33009915289.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.24.5e7b4900D07qsg

Both wheels (MCM5 or any version of the Tesla) are identical in terms of quality, repair/problem likelyhood etc. (About repairs, if the wheel works out of the box, with 99% probability you'll never have to do any repairs). The MCM5 board is actually newer and better than the Tesla one, but the Tesla one is perfectly good so that doesn't really matter.

Again, go with your instincts, but the MCM5 has another advantage:

A 16 incher like the Tesla might work as your only wheel, while the MCM5 might make you want to get another, bigger wheel in the future. You may think that is bad, but it isn't. It's the ideal route towards a nice long range 1600Wh 18 incher some time later, for the grand tours:D Personally, I like range, and would probably not be happy with the 1000Wh of the Tesla as my only wheel, I'd only get a 1600Wh wheel as an only wheel with what I know now. You may be different.

On the other hand, as your only wheel, a 16 incher might be the better idea. Sorry if I'm not really helping:P You really need to trust your gut here, and there's no wrong choice, just different ones.

(For the record, I might be biased towards the MCM5 because I really have a hard time not ordering one sometimes:wub:(and already have a 16 incher). Here's some Russian articles with some shiny pictures of the thing:

https://ecodrift.ru/2019/01/31/gotway-mcm5-800wh-part-one/

https://ecodrift.ru/2019/02/04/gotway-mcm5-part-two/

https://ecodrift.ru/2019/02/13/gotway-mcm5-razbiraem/

Use Google Translate if you want to read.)

Edited by meepmeepmayer

Small correction. The MCM5 is a newer design than the Tesla. It also has arguably better electronics. 

I think the Tesla is a much better general purpose wheel. The MCM5 is superior if portability is of prime importance to you or steep hill climbing is something you enjoy.

I own both wheels and love them. But if I were to only own one I would keep the Tesla.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I’m 6’5” and 200lbs, and while I have never owned a 14”, I’ve ridden a few long enough to draw my opinions, with which I know some will not agree with. My preferred riding is on fine gravel bike paths, and off-roading with varied amount of technicality. Longer pavement stretches not excluded of course.

No matter what kind of super duper 14” wheel anyone produces, I hope I never have to ride one again.

My younger brother started with a 14” wheel, and was very hesitant to upgrade to a 16”. He did after all, and can’t believe he rode a 14” for a full year. And he is largely a slow speed trick rider.

When travelling, even for short distances, an 18” wheel is more comfortable, more stable, and usually safer than even a 16” wheel, as soon as you get to jogging speeds. A 14” might be beneficial at literal walking speeds on smooth level ground, but anything above that and a bigger wheel will be better. Extremely steep uphills with a smooth surface excluded (MCM5 is said to shine on those).

I’m not pushing an 18” wheel for you, since it will not be the best for you as a first wheel. But I would definitely not get a 14x2.125 wheel as your first one. It is even somewhat harder to learn on. Even the 16” class is moving up to 2.5-3.0” wide tires.

One thing to consider is the fact that pretty much every rider will end up riding a lot longer stretches, a lot faster speeds, and a lot more often than one would’ve ever imagined.

I’d definitely get the Tesla if I were you. That said, if you would get the MCM5 anyway, you’d probably still be happy as a clown,  as long as you don’t try a 16” wheel... Riding really is that much fun.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

I’m 6’5” and 200lbs, and while I have never owned a 14”, I’ve ridden a few long enough to draw my opinions, with which I know some will not agree with. My preferred riding is on fine gravel bike paths, and off-roading with varied amount of technicality. Longer pavement stretches not excluded of course.

No matter what kind of super duper 14” wheel anyone produces, I hope I never have to ride one again.

My younger brother started with a 14” wheel, and was very hesitant to upgrade to a 16”. He did after all, and can’t believe he rode a 14” for a full year. And he is largely a slow speed trick rider.

When travelling, even for short distances, an 18” wheel is more comfortable, more stable, and usually safer than even a 16” wheel, as soon as you get to jogging speeds. A 14” might be beneficial at literal walking speeds on smooth level ground, but anything above that and a bigger wheel will be better. Extremely steep uphills with a smooth surface excluded (MCM5 is said to shine on those).

I’m not pushing an 18” wheel for you, since it will not be the best for you as a first wheel. But I would definitely not get a 14x2.125 wheel as your first one. It is even somewhat harder to learn on. Even the 16” class is moving up to 2.5-3.0” wide tires.

One thing to consider is the fact that pretty much every rider will end up riding a lot longer stretches, a lot faster speeds, and a lot more often than one would’ve ever imagined.

I’d definitely get the Tesla if I were you. That said, if you would get the MCM5 anyway, you’d probably still be happy as a clown,  as long as you don’t try a 16” wheel... Riding really is that much fun.

At 6'5", I can see how you might be enamored by the 14-inch form factor. But at your height you are far outside the mainstream.

A powerful 14-inch wheel such as the MCM5 can be a wondrous experience on certain types of trails and for maneuvering in tight spaces. It's a really fun wheel to have and very practical in many situations.

1 hour ago, nickysneids said:

the diameter of the tires are the same so that really draws no focus for comparison

Not sure what you mean here? The Tesla is a 16 incher, the MCM5 is a 14 incher.

How unstable actually is the MCM5 at higher speeds for someone who's 6ft 180lbs?

I have very little experience with 14 inchers, but I'd say (independently of weight) 30kph/20mph is where it gets sketchy on a 14 incher. The slightest pothole/bump/whatever gets you then. And 40kph/25mph is fast, that's where you start wanting an 18 incher over a 16 incher. So if "20-25mph" is your target speeds, definitely get the Tesla. The MCM5 may be able to do it on paper (and a super smooth surface), but that's not what it is meant for.

So if you're thinking 15-20mph typical riding speed (like an inner city commute or something where there's always some obstacle or speed limiting thing), the MCM5 is sweet. 20-25mph, definitely get a bigger wheel!

I think I have to revise my recommendation towards the Tesla. I thought you wanted more of a trick wheel, but looks like general purpose and speed is also important to you.

Thing is, you can do anything with any wheel, question just is: how well does it work for the task. Both wheels are awesome and I don't believe you'd be unhappy with either. So much for helping with your decision:D In case of a draw, trust your gut and get the wheel that whispers "Buy me!" louder.

I have a limit of my post count per day at the moment, do you know when this will be lifted or if there's a way I can verify to lift this?

I believe you need some upvotes (gave you some), they keep the details secret to discourage spammers.

Edited by meepmeepmayer

2 hours ago, nickysneids said:

@chopsywa Lol I know what you mean. I bet that 16" is a bit nicer on longer rides and faster speeds. But what is your body type and how stable do you feel at your average cruising speed? As you can see above I'm trying to figure out what it would be like going around 20-25mph on the MCM5 knowing it's a 14" wheel.

I was in your exact situation late last year. I chose the MCM 5. I am 6'1. I ride at 30km/h on straight roads. It's solid. The wheel doesn't get a speed wobble. I have taken it higher, but I don't want to risk the pain of a face plant at 45. The wheel will cruise at 40 (25 mph), but it will drag the battery down quite quickly. No issue on a short commute though.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Not sure what you mean here? The Tesla is a 16 incher, the MCM5 is a 14 incher.

I have very little experience with 14 inchers, but I'd say (independently of weight) 30kph/20mph is where it gets sketchy on a 14 incher. The slightest pothole/bump/whatever gets you then. And 40kph/25mph is fast, that's where you start wanting an 18 incher over a 16 incher. So if "20-25mph" is your target speeds, definitely get the Tesla. The MCM5 may be able to do it on paper (and a super smooth surface), but that's not what it is meant for.

So if you're thinking 15-20mph typical riding speed (like an inner city commute or something where there's always some obstacle or speed limiting thing), the MCM5 is sweet. 20-25mph, definitely get a bigger wheel!

I think I have to revise my recommendation towards the Tesla. I thought you wanted more of a trick wheel, but looks like general purpose and speed is also important to you.

Thing is, you can do anything with any wheel, question just is: how well does it work for the task. Both wheels are awesome and I don't believe you'd be unhappy with either. So much for helping with your decision:D In case of a draw, trust your gut and get the wheel that whispers "Buy me!" louder.

I believe you need some upvotes (gave you some), they keep the details secret to discourage spammers.

Oh maybe I used the wrong terminology when I said diameter. I meant they are both x2.125 (width?). Most of my commute is in the inner city, I was just curious about what riding was like at higher speeds in case I found myself wanting to go faster (which is inevitable). But for what I'll be using it for most often it'll be 15-20mph. Soooo I think I'm pretty much set on the MCM5 from eWheels at this point! Super stoked.

Thanks for the upvotes as well! It was painful to have all of this info and not be able to respond or thank anyone for helping me out lol.

1 hour ago, chopsywa said:

I was in your exact situation late last year. I chose the MCM 5. I am 6'1. I ride at 30km/h on straight roads. It's solid. The wheel doesn't get a speed wobble. I have taken it higher, but I don't want to risk the pain of a face plant at 45. The wheel will cruise at 40 (25 mph), but it will drag the battery down quite quickly. No issue on a short commute though.

Yeah I'm thinking for what I wanna do with it cruising at 30km/h will be just fine. I don't mind feeling every bump and crack in the rode, but would you say that every bump and crack is a danger at 24-30km/h?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, nickysneids said:

Hey @meepmeepmayer, thanks so much for taking the time to respond. You've accurately describe the back and forth I've been dealing with in making this decision lol. I am definitely leaning towards the MCM5 but I'm not 100% confirmed. At the end of it all, the only thing that is holding me back from fully committing is that I might need to change my commute for a longer distance and in that case a more stable at higher speeds wheel would do me better. But that's really the only thing stopping me at this point... the diameter of the tires are the same so that really draws no focus for comparison, and seeing as I currently don't make a long commute and I mostly will use this for short distances, I think the MCM5 will be the best move. Thanks again for all of the info and pictures!

@mrelwood You've given me a lot to think about... I suppose the only question I'm considering at this point is this: How unstable actually is the MCM5 at higher speeds for someone who's 6ft 180lbs? You make a good point, I will of course want to rider longer and faster as I get better with the wheel, but I should clarify.. this isn't my first wheel. I've ridden an 16" Airwheel x8 for about 2 months, beat it up good, and learned every technique I could think of (riding backwards, curb dropping, 180 spins, idling, sharp turning). I don't have the funds for an 18" but even if I did most are too heavy and not ideal for my type of commute. So as a whole it realistically comes down to how much I'll actually dislike higher speeds on the MCM5. If I can ride 20-25MPH (vigilantly) on straight aways, I'll be pretty happy and the rest of my commute is in the city of Boston, around lots of people which is where an MCM5 would shine.

Hey @Marty Backe! Thanks for the response and weighing in on my decision. I read through you're MCM5 review and found it very helpful. Definitely leaning towards the MCM5 for the price point, maneuverability, and over all fun factor when considering my commute. If things change in the future I can always sell it and upgrade to something different (or by another lol).

My main question and hopefully the final deciding factor, is the same question I asked @mrelwood above your quote: How unstable actually is the MCM5 at higher speeds for someone who's 6ft 180lbs? I'm aware that speed wobble and stability is dependent on the rider to a certain extent, but I'm pretty confident I can get to that extent.

Also side question for you since you're a vet of this forum. I have a limit of my post count per day at the moment, do you know when this will be lifted or if there's a way I can verify to lift this? I had to wait so long to respond to all of you :lol:

@chopsywa Lol I know what you mean. I bet that 16" is a bit nicer on longer rides and faster speeds. But what is your body type and how stable do you feel at your average cruising speed? As you can see above I'm trying to figure out what it would be like going around 20-25mph on the MCM5 knowing it's a 14" wheel.

I'm 5'11" and my riding weight is just a little less than 180-pounds.  The MCM5 has been very stable for me. See video below. Does it look unstable?

Once you get some more likes, etc. your limits will be lifted. I'm sure very soon.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Soooo I think I'm pretty much set on the MCM5 from eWheels at this point! Super stoked.

Great wheel (either way really)! Enjoy:)

I meant they are both x2.125 (width?).

I don't think width is so important for potholes etc, it's more about comfort/cushioning and a bit stability. Diameter counts for potholes or robustness at speed, that's why bicycles have big tires.

I actually felt that the 14” wheels, as do bigger ones, get a bit more peaceful at speed regarding the sideways squerrlyness. At 10-15km/h I felt a 14” wheel will take every tiny movement as an order to steer, which means I can’t move my feet. It makes riding quite tiresome for me, and I had to take breaks very often. Also the smaller uprighting effect means that the wheel has to be steered all the time, even on straights, as it will be falling to the side all the time. A 16” wheel is already a lot more peaceful in that regard.

One major thing I love about the MSX is that I can relax, change my foot position and pump my feet if they are about to get tired, and the MSX doesn’t care one bit. It goes straight until I deliberately tell it to turn.

As @Marty Backe said, my height/weight surely plays one factor in my dislike of 14” wheels.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I actually felt that the 14” wheels, as do bigger ones, get a bit more peaceful at speed regarding the sideways squerrlyness. At 10-15km/h I felt a 14” wheel will take every tiny movement as an order to steer ...

That's caused by too high tire pressure. I'd recently same experience, when I've pressured tyre to the recommended 300kPa. With lower pressure, maybe 200kPa,  riding is much more comfortable.

23 hours ago, nickysneids said:

Yeah I'm thinking for what I wanna do with it cruising at 30km/h will be just fine. I don't mind feeling every bump and crack in the rode, but would you say that every bump and crack is a danger at 24-30km/h?

Nope and I don't think I'm as skilled as you. I've been riding 2.5 years. Can't go backwards or do 180s, etc. Riding is like walking to me now though. I bounce over bumps etc no problems. I mainly ride on the road at speed. Super stable. I'd love to try a 16 inch to compare though. Nobody around here has wheels unfortunately.

5 hours ago, Mich2 said:

That's caused by too high tire pressure. 

It would make it even worse, yes. The lowest I rode my brother’s 14” was at 2.0 bars. Way too low for a 14”, and the unstable 14” ride was accompanied (not replaced) with the unstable tire behaviour. It would fall to it’s side but not turn properly.

Edited by mrelwood